Transition from traditional golf to disc golf: stance

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Transition from traditional golf to disc golf: stance

Postby monday » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:48 pm

Hi everyone. New to disc golf, coming from being a pretty decent "traditional" golfer. The question I have is, for a right hander, in "traditonal" golf you stand with your left shoulder forward, but the standard for a right hander in disc golf would be your right shoulder forward. I think it feels more natural to stand left shoulder forward and throw left handed, but will I be better off in the long run going with the more normal right shoulder forward right handed throw? Thanks for your insight.
monday
Noob

Re: Transition from traditional golf to disc golf: stance

Postby iacas » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:54 pm

monday wrote:Hi everyone. New to disc golf, coming from being a pretty decent "traditional" golfer. The question I have is, for a right hander, in "traditonal" golf you stand with your left shoulder forward, but the standard for a right hander in disc golf would be your right shoulder forward. I think it feels more natural to stand left shoulder forward and throw left handed, but will I be better off in the long run going with the more normal right shoulder forward right handed throw? Thanks for your insight.

Are you right-handed in everything else you do? Or do you play tennis left-handed?

Phil Mickelson is right-handed. :)
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby turso » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:20 pm

I have no problems hitting a golf ball from either side, I'm right handed, but I sure as heck throw a disc a lot better with my right hand. I suggest you go with your primary handedness.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby monday » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:20 pm

Right handed in everything I do. Play tennis right handed, throw ball right handed, and golf right handed. I guess the weight transfer and pivot and everything just feels a little more natural with the left shoulder forward, but I tried throwing that way and it felt very difficult to control the release or anything with the left hand.
monday
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:39 pm

Welcome. Throwing with the off arm is super difficult especially at first. Disc golf backhand throw is awkward at first but it has the potential for best distance. Forehand throw has the eyes on the target all the time and the left shoulder forward when throwing with the right arm.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby monday » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:37 am

Thanks for the replies. That's what I figured, just wanted to see what others thought. Appreciate it.
monday
Noob

Return to Technique