Flight Chart Update part 1

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Flight Chart Update part 1

Postby iacas » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:00 am

Where's the DGR flight chart? I found several threads on it with a Google search, but didn't find the flight chart itself.

Apologies in advance if this is a brain fart and its location is obvious. It's early. :)

(Or are y'all just talking about Joe's Flight Chart)? I'm confused. :D
Last edited by iacas on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby bcr123psu » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:03 am

bcr123psu
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: The one in my brakes

Postby keltik » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:42 am

Blake_T (the owner of this site) created and maintains Joe's Flight Chart. He usually brings his updates here for discussion.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby iacas » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:00 am

keltik wrote:Blake_T (the owner of this site) created and maintains Joe's Flight Chart. He usually brings his updates here for discussion.

Thanks. Thought so, didn't want to assume though.

How long after he adds things until the PDF is updated? I'm still waiting for the Saint to be listed (though I'm sure I could find the listing here.) :D
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby jubuttib » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:28 am

The Saint and FD are almost identical? =/
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Blake_T » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:16 am

The ones we had were, except the saints had a lot more variance across runs and across plastics.

The height needed to fly the lines were a bit diff and the saint was about 5% longer. Dan was absolutely killing the saints though... Im talking 580'+ on line drive golf lines. Inchalked that up to weirdness, sort of like when he was throwing tridents farther than bosses.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby keltik » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:24 am

Blake_T wrote:The height needed to fly the lines were a bit diff and the saint was about 5% longer. Dan was absolutely killing the saints though... Im talking 580'+ on line drive golf lines. Inchalked that up to weirdness, sort of like when he was throwing tridents farther than bosses.

I think Dan needs to get sponsored by Lat64°, or at least fill his bag with their discs. just sayin
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:50 am

jubuttib wrote:The Saint and FD are almost identical? =/

They aren't that different actually. At least the S FD that i didn't like for more HSS and longer Leo type i expected from the hype machine. I knew that the Saint was harder fading than that so i wasn't as displeased with it but it ain't exactly a more HSS longer River because it fades a role more OS.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby sunspot » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:06 am

Blake_T wrote:The ones we had were, except the saints had a lot more variance across runs and across plastics.

The height needed to fly the lines were a bit diff and the saint was about 5% longer. Dan was absolutely killing the saints though... Im talking 580'+ on line drive golf lines. Inchalked that up to weirdness, sort of like when he was throwing tridents farther than bosses.

I haven't thrown either the Saint or FD, so would you consider them flippy? More of neutral drivers? Are there other discs that they are like?
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby Blake_T » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:40 pm

Sunspot: hss they are both in the realm of a -1. The saint had more hss variance across the 4 than the fd, erring on the more stable side.

There are certain tendencies that can't be measured in 4 numbers. The fd is definitely a domey flying disc. The saint flies more like a flat disc (which is why i wouldn't compare it to a river either since they are domey).

The saint's nuances are closer to discs like a flash, starfire-x, z xpress etc. it cuts through the air and manages to stay up.

The fd has a lot more loft to it in the same vein as a tl, xl, jls, river, etc.

Keep in mind those are tendencies. The raw flight numbers that we measure were very similar. Dan was basically throwing the TL+ 460-480', fd 500-550', and saint 540-580'. I think the plus mold rim held the TL back due to micro slippage but both the fd and saint were longer, with the saint beiing consistently longer than the fd.

Btw, anyone is free to disagree with any of these ratings but if you want me to believe you have testicles, you have to state what you would rate them at too :p

There's tons of run variance out there and i specifically choose a variance in shapes and weight for testing. Sometimes this forces us to average things and/or guess what it was supposed to be like, but overall it often gives a fairly accurate rating for say... The average of 10 production runs.
Blake_T

Postby jubuttib » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Mainly I was expecting the Saint to be more stable/overstable in comparison. -1 is appropriate for the DGR S-Lines I have (though the D-Lines are more like -3 or -4 even) especially in the distance range they're meant for (something like 330-380'). I wouldn't put mine down as +2.5 LSS though, when that's what you put the PD down as. Mine fade at the end but not harshly at all, personally I'd put them at +1.5 or +2, tops (I haven't gotten a D-Line one to fade yet, without basically stalling it out). And from what I've heard the DGR ones were on average more HSS and presumably more LSS than the regular release ones.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:58 pm

The S FD i didn't like was easily 2.5 LSS more like 3 and some PDs are more than 2.5 LSS so it is a difficult comparison.

Blake i agree that the Opto Rivers i've seen are domey but the GLs i have are much flatter and not much domier than my GL Saint at all. Without measuring and looking at them side by side maybe a fifteenth of an inch in difference.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby 3j0hn » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:52 am

Blake_T wrote:Mamba: 5.5 / -3 / +2.5 / 4.

This totally agrees with my experience with my Mamba's. Basically, a bit flippier than my bliz Katanas but same distance and similar finish. I find the huge difference in their Innova numbers to be a bit baffling.
3j0hn
Noob

Favorite Disc: Stalker

Postby Blake_T » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:48 pm

3j0hn: the mamba (and monarch) ratings from innova assume they hold the turn for 90% of its flight.
The katana is rated by them assuming it flexes out (~70-75% flex point).

The joe's chart ratings are rated independently. Hss = how much it turns. Lss = how much it fades if it doesn't turn over.

Jub: 3 of the 4 saints had more fade than other discs we rated at +2, especially when speed compensated heights (or height compensated speeds) were taken into consideration. The fourth saint was in the lss +2-2.25 range. The PD has a faster flight speed than the saint, so you would need to compare a lower flight line on the PD vs. the saint's flight line. E.g. A pd's fade at 10' of height will roughly correspond to a saint's fade at ~14' of height. I feel comfortable with the 2.5 lss for now, but if a few more runs come out that are less lss, we can look into re-rating them in the future.
Blake_T

Postby Ryan C » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:45 pm

I find it very hard to believe that Dan is throwing Saints 580' on line drives. If he is capable of that, he could just show up and win every distance comp ever. I also think it goes to show that good form can make you throw far, but apparently doesn't make it so you can win many actual events.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment