Shots that end straight

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Shots that end straight

Postby allsport1313 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:31 pm

Hello community! :D I've been a frequent lurker for a few months now, so it is nice to finally meet all of you! Please forgive me if this is a repeat question.

I picked up the wonderful game of disc golf early in the summer, so I'm a newbie (3-4 months experience). I'm really happy with the way my golf game has evolved, but there is one thing lately that is piling on strokes more than anything else - I cannot get a disc to finish straight for the life of me. Up until now I've managed to get by exclusively through compensating, throwing far to the right (RHBH hyzer), or throwing far to the left on turnover shots.

I'm asking for advice because, well, it stinks to watch all my buddies park the 200 foot straight holes and me always card a par just because it isn't a "hyzer-friendly" hole. My overstable discs always go so far left, while my stable to understable discs always go so far right. Is this a matter of finding that equilibrium disc, or could it be a technique issue? Thank you in advance for any responses!

Here is some info that may be relevant:
-I'm 5'11, 160 lbs.
-My drives range from 275-325 feet, primarily using the power grip
-I typically tee off with Innova Wraiths(175g DX, 150g blizzard champion) or Innova Leopards(167g DX, 167g champion)
-I also carry a Discraft Surge (160g ESP) and a Discraft Force (172g Z-line), but I get pretty terrible results from them (too overstable?).
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Re: Shots that end straight

Postby JR » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:48 pm

Welcome. Even the Leopard is too hard fading for the tightest 200' spots if it is a new Pro, Champ or Star and probably a DX too thrown above say 5'. A broken in DX might just be straight enough. You see 200' ain't driver territory and there is none less fading than the Leo when new. Sure other discs can be worn to not to fade on low enough shots but a worn DX Leo will be even straighter easier but of course flipping like mad. Something that Leos do with less than perfect form. With that said thrown with pure form a Leopard should not turn much if at all if it is a Champ or Star 175 at 200'. You don't have throw it much farther than that to make it flip a little though. People have thrown putters on flat ground 430' but beyond 250' is a sign of a competent thrower form wise and 300' shows that a lot has been polished and 330' is open division material. To equalize things there are midranges which come in a huge variety and given your power you should be able to handle any of the straight finishing ones power wise as long as you polish your form. A video in the video critique section would help to see where you could improve your form. first off i suggest driving with your putter to see how far you can get it max and on the other hand accurately. That might suffice for 200' drives. If not have you tried an Innova Coyote midrange? It doesn't turn at that distance with good form and it is not fussy about the grip being thin and it has some fade at 200' but not so much at longer ranges and it has a very low power requirement for a mid which means that you can power it way down and throw it smooth as silk and still get it to 200' unlike many putters i suspect. Your other drivers are designed for 400'ish minimum distances.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby allsport1313 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:18 pm

JR: Much appreciated info! First off, it sounds like I need to let go of my big-arm drivers. I can throw the wraith consistently but it really takes a lot of effort to flatten it out, and I'm probably developing some bad habits in doing so. With regard to the fade on the last 25% of disc flight, even my beat in leopard is prone to finishing 30+ feet left of my target. Something I have failed to consider though is the height of my disc flight. I would estimate that my average shot gets about 20-30 feet of air... am I accentuating the disc's natural tendency to fade?
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:09 am

3 things to finish straight:

1) Get the nose down flat. The more the nose is lifted up, the harder the disc is going to finish left. Nose down=finishes straight.

2) Get a disc that is designed to finish straight. For example, the Buzzz is a disc that naturally finishes straight, and has a great distance range.

3) Get a good throw/release with a lot of spin on the disc. The faster a disc spins, the longer it holds the line. The spin/speed ratio is controlled by your throwing style, but the best players have enormous spin on their discs.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:06 pm

Head high throws with any disc are gonna fade less. The faster than Leopard discs are useful for shots that need to finish left hard or s-curves started with anhyzer. Otherwise they'll probably teach you poor form and retard the speed at which your form will improve. Thrown higher and at your power most Buzzzes will fade hard especially in 200' shots. It gets straighter at 300' and low.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby allsport1313 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:52 pm

I've taken your advice and made a video of my shot. I also plan to post it in the video section for more general tweaks to make on my throw. Been at quite the plateau as of late.

allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:34 pm

Throws that are so smooth and slow are good for approaches and there are many things that you can do to increase distance. Too many to try at once because incorporating one thing changes others and the brain can't keep up with a throw that has so many changed things. Because learning good form is easiest done at slower speeds i would not add more steps or speed them up just yet.

You land the final step flat and follow through is forcibly short and your leg is twisted. That can injure you from ankle to upper back at least. It also slow you down because you need to accelerate and the only way to do that fully to the end is to step forward with the left leg pointing the left side at the target in a flat shot after the disc has ripped out. You should raise the ball of the foot high in the air and pivot on the right heel after landing on the left side of the right toe rolling from there to the heel.

You don't add speed to the throw by twisting the hips to the right of neutral and shoulders even rather to the right. You should move the right elbow forward -an inch or two short of pointing the upper arm toward the target (perfectly straight locks up the elbow and might rip the tendons and muscles injuring you severely). That will create a bend in the elbow which stretches the tendons which chop the elbow straight faster than the muscles could do on their own. In these throws none had a lot of acceleration of the arm. The command your brain should send out is to move fast. Not strong like lifting weights. Fast movements need loose muscles up to the point where the disc comes to the right pec.

These are good starters but i'd like to see flat shots at 200' straight and full power with the above changes. You will run into new things and i hope we can clear up any problems before moving to adding speed and power from the legs.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby allsport1313 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks again! Lots of things for me to adjust. Any of these you recommend that I prioritize? You're right, I was so shocked to see that my arm speed was so low.. strangely enough, that's me at probably 70% effort. I don't do much more to gain distance... Pretty much the same exact thing just slightly more forcefully. In other words, I am not really holding back much, that is my shot :| and it looks more like an upshot than a drive haha
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:42 pm

throw a putter or a roller
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:20 am

Staying healthy is always number one priority so the flat footedness has to go away right now. It only takes one hard effort with a fully planted foot to maim you for life.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Mark Ellis » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:03 am

allsport1313 wrote:Hello community! :D I've been a frequent lurker for a few months now, so it is nice to finally meet all of you! Please forgive me if this is a repeat question.

I picked up the wonderful game of disc golf early in the summer, so I'm a newbie (3-4 months experience). I'm really happy with the way my golf game has evolved, but there is one thing lately that is piling on strokes more than anything else - I cannot get a disc to finish straight for the life of me. Up until now I've managed to get by exclusively through compensating, throwing far to the right (RHBH hyzer), or throwing far to the left on turnover shots.

I'm asking for advice because, well, it stinks to watch all my buddies park the 200 foot straight holes and me always card a par just because it isn't a "hyzer-friendly" hole. My overstable discs always go so far left, while my stable to understable discs always go so far right. Is this a matter of finding that equilibrium disc, or could it be a technique issue? Thank you in advance for any responses!

Here is some info that may be relevant:
-I'm 5'11, 160 lbs.
-My drives range from 275-325 feet, primarily using the power grip
-I typically tee off with Innova Wraiths(175g DX, 150g blizzard champion) or Innova Leopards(167g DX, 167g champion)
-I also carry a Discraft Surge (160g ESP) and a Discraft Force (172g Z-line), but I get pretty terrible results from them (too overstable?).

Dead nuts straight is invaluable at every distance you can manage it. As an added bonus, once you can throw straight a gentle, controlled anhyzer is only a slight adjustment from there.

From watching your video your arm motion is giving you the hyzer line. Notice your follow through finishes high (above the shoulder)? A low (release) to high (follow through) motion gives you a hyzer. Straight across your chest (release and follow through) will flatten out the shot. A high to low motion creates an anhyzer.

Controlling a driver is much more difficult than a mid, especially at short distances like 200 feet. When you flatten out a driver it glides too far (and too long is just as bad as too short). So pick up a straight mid or several (the Buzzz in different plastics will give you small but useful variations, generally the X is straightest at slow speeds) and play catch with a buddy at 200 feet. Within a short time you should be able to throw a frozen rope. Repeat as necessary to develop the muscle memory to cement the shot in your repertoire.

With practice you can learn to hit a straight line and vary distances from 200' to 300'. These shots are golden ( or perhaps Titanium :D ) to your game. The same principle applies to forehands but these take a lot more practice to master.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Return to Technique