Lazy elbow

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Lazy elbow

Postby soupdeluxe » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:02 pm

Hello All
I have been working on my throw quite a bit the last couple of months following the diagrams Blake posted on the Myth of Disc Pivot thread. In trying to get the feeling stronger I have tried a few things. Speeding up the inward pull kills my feeling. Slowing down good for feeling. Is this because the feeling lasts just a micro second longer? I have tried turning more and if timing is right gives me reduced feeling but flies great. The other thing I have concentrated on is getting the disc deeper into the pocket. This seems to work as long as I keep my elbow up. I have a tendency to drop my elbow down. I don't hear allot of talk about elbow position so I am curious how important is the elbow in the grand scheme? It would be interesting to see where the elbow is in relation to the disc "rail" an "elbow rail" if you will. Am I over thinking this? I am almost thinking If your elbow is on the right rail and on plane with the forearm all that you need to do is pause for the chop and try to hang on as long as possible for a good throw? Just some thoughts and ramblings
Thanks
SD
soupdeluxe
Noob

Favorite Disc: XD

Re: Lazy elbow

Postby JR » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:55 pm

Keeping the elbow at a constant height from the ground is super important. That and getting it forward and the proper speed=fast enough to reach the target with the chosen flight path, disc, angles and height is what counts. All the other things have to be thought out before you throw. In the throw you just power to the level you need and aim. The brain is too slow for anything else and even the powering should become automated according to the pre flight check up. So aiming is what you need to do on the tee while running. in field practice on form most can only think of one things and often times not feel it even with powered down throws at times. It is normal because the brain gets less aware of what you are doing the more it needs to work on commanding the arm to power late in the throw.

You should definitely try out railing the elbow, pausing for the chop and quoting Dan pinch like a mother to see what it does to your throw.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Blake_T » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Soup: slowing the inward pull increases feel because you have brought the disc's weight with you. Speeding it up leaves it behind and in most cases it never catches up and just slips out.

As for the elbow, where your elbow is determines the chop plane. You do need to get it up and out in front in order to get deep into the pocket. The deeper you get, the stronger the unload.

The flare out of the rail doesn't start until you have reached the maximum forward position in the pocket. E.g. Dan's rail starts from his pocket position. My pocket position is farther forward but i use more wrist in my throw than he does.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby soupdeluxe » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:54 pm

Blake
I suppose I should know about bringing the weight of the disc with me. It is what the water drill illustrates so well. The natural instinct to speed up the inward pull is strong in me. Given that the speed of the inward pull is not the answer even with the elbow up I have question. Is adding a runup supposed to do anything more than get your bodys momentum moving forward? (but your inward pull remains the same) It also seems like you could strengthen your grip to allow you to hold on longer but if the discs weight is not moving with you and in the right direction slip city. First and foremost, I need to keep the elbow up and worry about getting deeep into the pocket. Thanks
SD
PS by the way I have outgrown my practice field unless I am throwing away from the parking lot using drivers. Tossed one the other day that went into the parking lot full of cars and lucky for me hit none of them.
soupdeluxe
Noob

Favorite Disc: XD

Postby Blake_T » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:46 am

the run up is mostly a weight transfer/momentum shift. it does add 10-20% D by adding said momentum shift into the throw, but it's only really beneficial if it boosts what you are supposed to be doing.

both dan's and my throws have very minor pauses when the disc reaches the max forward position in the pocket. i don't actively unload until after that pause... that's sort of my cue to boost my grip pressure and rip with my whole body.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique