Newcomers bag - advice and thoughts needed.

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Newcomers bag - advice and thoughts needed.

Postby gorbanouski » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:45 am

Hi everybody. I've been reading these forums for a while and I think I need some advice on my bag and form. I'll be putting some throwing videos later on...

First off, I've been playing this wonderful sport about 1 year now, and I can see some improvement on everything. For example, I can throw my Z Comet about 300' dead straight without OAT.

Here goes:

Putters:

2x Classic Aviar, putting
Superduper understable kc aviar for trickshots
Premium Jokeri, MVP Ion for driving

Mids:

3x Roc, different stabilities

Fairways:

2x Eagle-x, one turns some on 330' throw, other is new and stable
2x Teebird, Star for straight lines and dx for rollers
GL River and S-Jackal, still trying to figure out which one to stick with
Star Firebird, wind and vertical hyzers

Distance:

3x Wraith 167g, 170g ja 175g. Anhyzers, hyzers and all between.

On a good day I can put my Wraiths to 400' on golf lines. What i'm pondering, should I downgrade from Wraiths, cause 400' isn't consistent.
Also, I think I'm getting the "Hit" thing. Before I was turning and burning my FD on 320' power with teebird even with a bit of hyzer, and one day I just halved my run-up speed and my arm speed and really concentrated on pinching the disc and accelerating on the last second and BAM, a bit of hyzer and it popped up and glided to about 330' and I wasn't even trying to go for distance :D. Am I getting the concept of "The Hit" right, or atleast some of it?

Oh and sorry if my grammar isn't that great, but try to understand. :)
gorbanouski
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Newcomers bag - advice and thoughts needed.

Postby JR » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:38 am

Tervetuloa. Missä päin sä vaikutat?

400' after a year is great. Without seeing you drive i can't tell if the Wraith inconsistency is from the disc being too much for you. Power wise it should be ok but nose angle is a major issued with Wraiths. They punish nose up throws quickly. If grip or gripping power is insufficient the disc can slip reducing distance and usually missing left fading harder than with the best throws.

What you described about slowing down sounds like you learned late acceleration benefits to snap.

Not many carry that many different putters but in Finnish woods they come in handy. Being a Finn i had no trouble understanding you :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby gorbanouski » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Morjens. Vaikuttamisesta en tiiä mutta oulussa kiekkoa nakellaan ym... :)

Nose angle is a problem for me with Wraiths sometimes. That's partially why I'm considering the downgrade, because smaller rims. I don't have a grip problem per se, but with big rims my index finger doesn't always seem to find it's place and that causes wrist tension -> nose up, if you know what I mean. :) Yes, I do like the primo plastic driving putters, because if and when I ram a tree or a rock, I don't have to think about losing stability.
gorbanouski
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:15 pm

Oulun Frisbeeseura has throwing clinics so you might be able to get personal tutoring. I have short fingers and injuries making gripping wider rims harder. It has gotten better over time with more flexibility and strength from the fingers. Have you tried keeping the rear of the disc well above the front in the reach back and pushing the wrist down in the end of the throw? It creates momentum down making keeping the wrist down easier because there is more force pushing the hand down at the wrist than is possible from starting at wrist neutral.

Yawning and dropping arms from shoulder height in a free fall loosens up the arm muscles. Then the wrist hangs below neutral if you point the arm at the target before the throw. This style is more prone to a rising wrist.

Some discs become better when they break in so proper disc choices might help in avoiding slicker harder plastics. But you already have some of those discs so there might not be anything more to be gained with going more in that direction. I don't know how long it takes to break in a Prodiscus Slaidi, but that plastic has a lot of tackiness. The bad thing is that it fades harder and is more power hungry than the Wraith when new. It is superior in wind handling.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion