Flight Chart Update part 1

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Flight Chart Update part 1

Postby Torg » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:35 pm

It takes time, money and want to make it to non-local events. He might be missing one of those.
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:03 am

Ryan C wrote:I find it very hard to believe that Dan is throwing Saints 580' on line drives. If he is capable of that, he could just show up and win every distance comp ever. I also think it goes to show that good form can make you throw far, but apparently doesn't make it so you can win many actual events.

I can assure you those distances aren't exaggerated. i'm also not sure how many distance contests you've been to...

also keep in mind that a line drive throw when launched 70-75mph will continue to lift to the 30-40' height mark. i still consider those line drives compared to say, a 90' high distance tower.

as for distance contests, to the best of my knowledge dan has never competed in one. in said contests you get 5 throws to be performed in 90 seconds with the long throw being all that matters. when you get guys trying to kill it, you see lots of over-turns and stall outs. also, the difference between say, a 650' throw and an 800' throw is a whole lot of luck when you're going for a distance tower. monster record level throws are highly dependent upon catching late flex wind push. if you reach that stage in flight and the wind catches the disc at the wrong angle, it knocks it down rather than holding it up or pushing it forward.

as for not showing up and winning everything tournament-wise, i give him hell about that all the time :P

his power has increased this year and it has me shocked at how much power he has right now.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby archimedesjs » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:11 am

Not that I disbelieve any of the distances given, you can clearly see what Beto is capable of in the youtube videos he's featured on, but I would love to see the flight of a 580' throw with a nice camera. Is there nobody in your area that has a decent camera, who can go out, and record these field tests? I'm a nerd, and never tire of watching flights of bomb drives, hopefully somebody can either lend you a camera, or go out with you guys to record the action. Hell, I might be willing to loan you my camera to record a new Beto long drive video. There are not enough videos that capture the full flight of a LONG drive on youtube. If you're already out there throwing, you might as well record it. :)
archimedesjs
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hydra

Postby CatPredator » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Blake_T wrote:
Ryan C wrote:I find it very hard to believe that Dan is throwing Saints 580' on line drives. If he is capable of that, he could just show up and win every distance comp ever. I also think it goes to show that good form can make you throw far, but apparently doesn't make it so you can win many actual events.

I can assure you those distances aren't exaggerated. i'm also not sure how many distance contests you've been to...

as for distance contests, to the best of my knowledge dan has never competed in one.

as for not showing up and winning everything tournament-wise, i give him hell about that all the time :P

his power has increased this year and it has me shocked at how much power he has right now.

I seem to recall Dan talking about a distance comp 2 or 3 years ago where he threw a D crush close to 700' and bested Wiggins Jr. but it's a vague memory from a kegger... I imagine a big part of the reason you don't see him going to distance comps is because you win chump change. Big Jerm got $100 at Worlds this year. That doesn't even pay for gas money to drive out of state and back.

His power is pretty fricking amazing these days. Hopefully he can turn some heads at the USDGC if he makes it out there.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby jubuttib » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:26 am

CatPredator wrote:Big Jerm got $100 at Worlds this year. That doesn't even pay for gas money to drive out of state and back.
Depending on your car and gas prices along the way you could probably swing a ~1500 mile trip with that money, if you stick to highways.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby CatPredator » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:54 am

jubuttib wrote:
CatPredator wrote:Big Jerm got $100 at Worlds this year. That doesn't even pay for gas money to drive out of state and back.
Depending on your car and gas prices along the way you could probably swing a ~1500 mile trip with that money, if you stick to highways.

I'm not sure how we could get more off topic than this [flight charts, wut?] but I'll bite. Here in America we drive cars that get <25mpg and gas costs $4/gallon! Not to mention Dan is a beast and he probably drops that gas mileage down 1 or 2 just by being in the car :lol:
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby JR » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:28 am

Gas price yesterday on the nearest pump to me was 1.789 Euros per liter. Oh ye oh little knowledge. But what that leads to is even more off topic.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:48 am

Not that this is in any way on topic, but I took a look at gasbuddy.com and while there were some states where average prices were 4 USD and over, most were in the 3.9 and lower category. I think I calculated the first one with 3.8 USD/gallon. So, calculated again with 3.9 USD/gallon (FWIW our prices are around 8.9 USD/gallon, so quit complaining), and the last time we went on a road trip in my friend's old (early 90s) Toyota Corolla with three passengers we did around 47 mpg and were speeding most of the time, I see no problems with doing a 1400 mile trip with a decently modern car, steady highways and a driver that knows what he's doing. With a newer car (early 2000s), I've done 60 mpg on long highway trips, especially with diesels, and if you know how to drive sparingly you can get for example a Ford Mondeo 1.6 diesel to go over 80 mpg (Knut Wilthil and Henrik Borchgrevink achieved that by driving from Helsinki to Oslo with a single tank of diesel, some 1576.05 miles).

Using a car that gets crap mileage is a really bad excuse, and most people could gain 10-20 mpg easily by just learning how to drive sparingly. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JR » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:25 pm

That means fuel for the driver or new discs :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Torg » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:45 pm

That doesn't figure in the cost of small things like eating or places to sleep. What is the Ford Mondeo called in the US? Those really efficient diesels you see in Europe generally aren't here in the Us for some reason.
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby NoLifeLeft » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:33 am

A lot of really efficient cars are either not brought into the US or modified out of some of the efficiency to meet our overwrought government regulations for emissions.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby jubuttib » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:37 am

Torg wrote:That doesn't figure in the cost of small things like eating or places to sleep. What is the Ford Mondeo called in the US? Those really efficient diesels you see in Europe generally aren't here in the Us for some reason.
I don't think the earlier ones made it there, or am not sure anyway, but the newest one is called Ford Fusion over there.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Blake_T » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:24 pm

This thread has derailed.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Sagecoast » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:14 am

Rerail attempt:

After throwing the blizzards a lot I confirm the numbers on the Wraith, Katana and Destroyer, although I am a max Power 4 arm and the Destroyer did well for me. Concerning the Boss, it may be a "weird batch" there was a group of Katanas that came out that were very over stable.

I would be interested to hear a comparison Saint to River. Chart numbers on the River are not what I see, but I have light (166-171) gl and opto. I could see a -.5, +3 for a hefty opto, just can't throw one like it wants. :)
Pure Sinus Tursas Roc3 Pain Gator River Saints Teebirds
Sagecoast
Noob

Favorite Disc: 166g River

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:30 pm

My only recent experience with a Blizzard disc is a relatively flat Destroyer (no marking for the weight). It turns a little from flat and has a strong fade at the end, but if you turn it over, it takes for-ev-er for it to come back. I suspect that's because it's flat on top, making it less susceptible to fight a turnover, and because it weighs <150g. I'll assume the flatter ones have a higher PLH (is that true?), but are they in-turn more stable on a flat throw than one with more dome? I've heard that's not the case for "normal" high speed drivers (flat = less stable), but I wasn't sure if that was also the case for Blizzard discs as well.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment