Innova StarLite plastic: Blizzard-like star blend

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Innova StarLite plastic: Blizzard-like star blend

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:19 pm

Any word on when other molds will be released in this plastic?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:53 am

Fall is here and winds are up. I threw my 145 Roady and it is stupid even in lulls (relative at least) with stand stills. The flight plate is domier than with Champ Roadys and the PLH is lower and the wing seems to be a little more bulging. Not a fan.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby keltik » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:43 am

I thought they already had 150g Star drivers from the single digit speed range?

something smells fishy.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Monocacy » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:59 am

keltik wrote:I thought they already had 150g Star drivers from the single digit speed range?

Roadrunners are generally not available below the low 160s. Same for Vikings in premium plastic. Not sure why, because 150 Valkyries are readily availabe in Star and Champion.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby veganray » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:11 pm

I've got shittons of 150g zipper-top Champ Vikings and at least four early-run 150g Champ Roadrunners. Also 20-ish 150g Champion Monarchs (both VM & MC variants) and three or four 150g Champ Beasts. Orcs, Sidewinders, Mambas, Firebirds are all relatively easy to track down in 150g non-Blizzard Champ plastic, too.

STAR is apparently not technically infeasible, as well, as I have a handful each of 150g STAR FLs, Firebirds, Sidewinders, SLs, & Monarchs.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby JR » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:54 pm

Look at the thread topic. I thought it was clear from the weight of the disc too that it is a Starlite plastic 145 Roadrunner. That is air bubbles inside the plastic just as in Champion called Blizzard.

Regular Star without the bubbles have been available for years in speed 7 discs like Eagles and Teebirds.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby veganray » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:58 pm

I think the point is that it seems kinda fishy that Innova is foisting their "gimmick-of-the-month" onto discs/plastics that don't even need it.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Postby JR » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:03 pm

The lightest Roady i've seen from regular plastics was 160 so there is a 15 gram difference. Because the shape sucks rocks all potential benefits were lost in this disc i have. Pimping should be done for proper Roady flight paths. PLH up and dome down to normal levels.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby veganray » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:05 pm

veganray wrote:I've got shittons of 150g zipper-top Champ Vikings and at least four early-run 150g Champ Roadrunners.

Crazy PLUS stupid is an extremely unattractive mix. Tighten up, pupu!

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Postby JR » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:24 pm

We get fewer light discs here than you over there. Regular Champ 150 Roady should be very flippy too. Similar weight StarLite if similar to Blizzard should be way more HSS than a regular Champ. So apples to oranges. I was hoping for a 145 disc with the HSS of a 160 Champ. No luck there.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby veganray » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:45 pm

JR wrote:I was hoping for a 145 disc with the HSS of a 160 Champ.

Apples to oranges, indeed.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Re: Re: Innova StarLite plastic: Blizzard-like star blend

Postby vtbuzzz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:56 pm

veganray wrote:I think the point is that it seems kinda fishy that Innova is foisting their "gimmick-of-the-month" onto discs/plastics that don't even need it.

They are running out of ideas...IMO.
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby veganray » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:23 pm

Don't get me wrong - I loudly applaud Innova for devising a process to allow 150-class throwers (such as myself) to enjoy the newest & greatest wide-rimmed, warp-speed drivers. And I admire their marketing effort needed to entice the everyday max-weight macho men to go out & buy them, which they have in droves. (Remember that until the very most recent drivers, all Innova drivers were available in 150-class hi-tech plastic and not only were they unpopular sellers, but also were nearly universally reviled & ridiculed.)

However, as I immediately feared when Blizzard became a "hit", Innova seems to be deciding to capitalize on the marketing gimmick, extending the technology to unnecessary areas to cash in on the hype (Blizzard DX Condor?!?! Really?!?!) instead of judiciously utilizing it in the area in which it is necessary - molding discs in hi-tech plastic that would be impossible employing the standard, non-carbonated process. Case in point: a Blizzard Champion Archon, Vulcan, Groove, TeeRex, or XCaliber would be a logical next step in exploiting the technology but the company chose to pad its bottom line by shoehorning the technology - and the hype - onto a better-selling disc that is already available in 150-class weights in hi-tech plastic. :roll:

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Postby jubuttib » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:09 pm

That's my major beef with Innova. They do make fantastic products, they do great things occasionally. The problem is they go hugely overboard with almost everything they do. That and they change molds without any indicators to tell them apart or any notice.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby money 21 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:35 pm

did they really make a blizz dx condor?
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment