Dominator and Mamba

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Dominator and Mamba

Postby Booter » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:30 pm

mamba might be useful to me for a turnover/roller/tailwind driver . im using a pro wraith now
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Sagecoast » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:46 pm

My understanding, after pestering Eric at the Factory store, is that big arms find the Mamba very useful in tight spots, bad lies.

I'll be real interested to see who wins between my 133 Blizz Wraith and the Black Mamba.

I think I picked a great time to become totally addicted, ...err to take up disc golf.
Pure Sinus Tursas Roc3 Pain Gator River Saints Teebirds
Sagecoast
Noob

Favorite Disc: 166g River

Postby JR » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:00 pm

I threw a 172 Champ Dominator yesterday in winds and it dominates over what? It was significantly slower than the 150 and 157 Quasars and shorter too. It ain't a wind disc so i didn't get a good read on it but it seems spin and power hungry having fade outs because even Katanas suffer from that to a degree and these definitely seem to be between average Katanas and Bosses. There are some very overstable Katanas that fade harder than this. To me it does not seem to offer anything new or must have. Because it overlaps so much with other discs. It seems like a little flipping similarly fading CFR Champ Katana. Wasted money because i already have a Katana like that.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby pask2155 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:27 pm

JR interesting you say this about the dominator because BLAKE said he was impressed with it and didn't think it was power hungry...

Anyone else with any other thoughts?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby JR » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:07 pm

We may be comparing it for a different role or Blake just watched Dan (more than enough power to spare on powered down throws) throw the Dominator. Dan makes every disc look wimpy :-D Power hungry compared to what? I can understand the relative lowish power need for a warp speeder because the Dominator flips. The flipside to that har har is that the fade also kicks in too soon and too hard. That bugger won't stay on a straight line for long to save its life.

As a driver of non maximum distance role say moderately overstable slot the Dominator could work without wind because it tends to flip a few degrees on a 400' toss. With winds not it is not so well working. No joy in headwinds and pretty bad in stiff side winds.

I lack spin getting to 20 revs per second tops on a 175 Star Xcaliber sacrificing arm speed death gripping the disc. If i loosen up to a faster longer throw my revs drop to 17-19 normally. That with my power ain't enough to keep the Dominator on a straight line long enough for competitive distance vs other drivers and the fade is strong enough to make this a short disc compared to the longest distance bombers these days. Nuke, Boss lights, Kings and Zero G Quasars. For the long moderately sub max D role the Dominator is beaten by CFR Champion Katana because it won't flip and the fade is pretty similar. That is more than normal Katanas less than flat top Star Katana meaning it is a little easier to get max D and a lot easier to get consistent D and proper lines with the CFR C Katana because it is a little less power hungry.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BLURR » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:10 pm

Got about 30 rep's in with my 171 purple champ Dominator tonight. Threw it along with my mamba, nuke and destroyers. It is definitely a fast disc. I would say that there is a little more high speed turn than they give it though. 13/5/-2/2 seems more like it imo. Pretty nice disc. I can see how people say it is a wide rimmed valk. Does feel a whole lot like a wide rimmed valk in the hand. Can't wait to get my blizzard dominator tomorrow. Can't wait to get a little bit of wear on this thing.

On another side note, I see how a power player would like the mamba. It is a great out of the box roller. And if you are stymied up against something, it does make for a very straight low powered backhand disc.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:06 pm

Only my star Valk fades nearly as much as the Dominator other plastics being noticeably straighter. I would think that lighter weights in Blizzard would help in delaying the fade making the Dominator a much better competing disc for both moderately overstable and distance roles. That idea piqued my interest so i'd like to hear how the Blizz dominatrix works for you :-) At your power i think you should get the heaviest one you can find.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BLURR » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:41 pm

The blizz I got was a 165. I will say this...the dominator is a big bomber so far. I would like to get it out on the course for a good test. But field testing was great.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby JR » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:37 am

Our distance difference probably shows here me falling short on the required power on the Champ Dominator i have or my example being beefier/newer than yours. How far you get Champ or Pro Katanas because those flip too and have less fade and glide at least as well so they are longer for me. But so are light Bosses like my 148 not just the 137 and light Quasars and a few others.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BLURR » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:59 pm

Never really thrown a Katana or Boss...other than the 157g Blizzard Katana the other day. Threw it on a hole that is 565 ft. long and was about 120 feet out off my tee shot. The Katana flew pretty much dead straight. It was only slightly understable...maybe 10 feet of play from left to right. Very little fade on the end of its flight. I was very surprised at it's stability considering the Blizz Destroyer that I tested was really understable.

The Blizz Dominator showed up today...actually weighed a touch heavier than the 165 I ordered...but no big deal. Going to go out and huck it over my lunch hour tomorrow probably. I will post back my findings.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby JR » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:13 pm

You got a great Blizztana then mine are very fliptastic.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby money 21 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:56 pm

i have a 157 domey bliztana and it is nice stable and glidey. sweet flyer. i have a 139 bliztana that i can't even throw 100' with a turn and burn.

On another note has anyone else noticed the wine colored mambas being more stable then the rest. A friend bought 5 171 mambas 3 wine colored a yellow and a pink. i have a blue in the same weight. he was throwing them in the field and the wine ones were like krait stable.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby BLURR » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:52 am

JR wrote:You got a great Blizztana then mine are very fliptastic.

I wish that Blizztana was mine. It was my buddies. I traded for a blizztana...here's hoping it is a good one. If not, guess it will go back to the trade pile. I have a 151 Blizz Scorpius sitting in the closet that I might take out today and throw next to the Dominator.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby JR » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:40 am

Scorpius sounds like a Boss relative so it should be more reliable for your power. I have an excess of hard fade bombers so i haven't tried the Scorpius i'm just reading into what others have said about it.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby BLURR » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:34 am

Got a chance to throw both my champ dominator and my blizz dominator this past weekend. If you are looking for a slightly more stable Katana, then this would be the disc. I liked the flight of both of them, but they don't really offer me anything above and beyond what I currently have in the bag. So, they will go into the trade/sell pile.

Now, the Mamba on the other hand, has earned a spot in the bag for the time being. Played in a pro dub's tourney this past weekend and the Mamba almost got me two aces during the tourney. It is such an easy disc to throw. Where it really shined was uphill power throws where I needed the disc to fly left to right the whole way. Might have to get me another one so I have a backup.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment