Discraft Titanium (now with pics)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Discraft Titanium (now with pics)

Postby JR » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:57 am

I suspect that the same routine is needed with the Ti because it is hard, stiff and slick too. Tackier discs won't be as nasty with slips when you're sweaty.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby 7ontheline » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:28 pm

^ agreed.

I might throw all dx/pro-d /ce if I lived in rainy Finland or learn to power down a driver for mid range end right shots.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby jubuttib » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:22 pm

Funny, I suffer from very dry and slippery hands and throw almost all premium, I even putt with Anodes and IONs. The only baseline discs in my bag are a beat old JOKERi and two D-MD2s, one for understable and one getting there slowly. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:48 pm

jubuttib wrote:All things (shape, size, weight) being equal there's no difference in the flight between Z and Ti. After those things the only thing that really could affect flight would be weight distribution (I'm assuming Discraft's blends are at least somewhat homogeneous and the density of the plastic doesn't vary across the disc significantly, so that's out) and to an extent surface texture. There might be some microscopic difference between Ti and Z surface textures, but they're so small I really doubt it'd affect the flight in any way.

To nitpick with your point slightly, you seem to be suggesting that any material with the same given density should make a disc with the same shape, size and weight fly identically. My experiences obviously differ from yours with regards to at a minimum the Ti Buzzz. I intentionally got flat and heavy Ti Buzzzes, as those are qualities that have led me to select Buzzzes in other plastics, with some regularity as to my expectations. Mine, along with those of others I have talked to (not a mammoth sample, but let's say 15 other golfers, ranging in skill from Rec to 1000 rated Open players), are less stable. There are certainly a number of factors that may account for this, but I am not just making this up. In general, most of the Ti plastic discs seem to be more overstable than the other plastics. The Ti Forces are the only mold that seems to be shaped differently, from what I have seen.
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Craft Discs

Postby turso » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:51 pm

NoMoreTinCup wrote:
jubuttib wrote:All things (shape, size, weight) being equal there's no difference in the flight between Z and Ti. After those things the only thing that really could affect flight would be weight distribution (I'm assuming Discraft's blends are at least somewhat homogeneous and the density of the plastic doesn't vary across the disc significantly, so that's out) and to an extent surface texture. There might be some microscopic difference between Ti and Z surface textures, but they're so small I really doubt it'd affect the flight in any way.

To nitpick with your point slightly, you seem to be suggesting that any material with the same given density should make a disc with the same shape, size and weight fly identically. My experiences obviously differ from yours with regards to at a minimum the Ti Buzzz. I intentionally got flat and heavy Ti Buzzzes, as those are qualities that have led me to select Buzzzes in other plastics, with some regularity as to my expectations. Mine, along with those of others I have talked to (not a mammoth sample, but let's say 15 other golfers, ranging in skill from Rec to 1000 rated Open players), are less stable. There are certainly a number of factors that may account for this, but I am not just making this up. In general, most of the Ti plastic discs seem to be more overstable than the other plastics. The Ti Forces are the only mold that seems to be shaped differently, from what I have seen.

To me it looks he's just saying that GIVEN the shape, size and weight correlate, there's no difference between Z and Ti flight wise.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby jubuttib » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:30 pm

Discs fly how they fly because of three things: Their basic physical properties (weight and distribution of said weight), aerodynamic properties (shape, size, texture) and how they're thrown. If you have two discs that are made from different plastics but weigh exactly as much and have a consistent density throughout, and are exactly the same shape (note that the differences we're talking about can be really really small, even if you got flat Ti and Z Buzzzes there's no guarantee they're the exact same shape), and are thrown exactly the same, barring any surface texture differences affecting things (think golf balls) they will fly the same. There's no magical property that a plastic can have that will overcome physics. If the discs really are identical in every way except exact plastic blend, they will fly the same. If Ti and Z Buzzzes fly differently then either the shape or weight is different (shape is always different, due to the Ti "stamp") or you're throwing them differently.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:11 pm

Even flat topped Ti Buzzzes vary in wing concavity and shoulder height in the few discs i saw at the shop when i bought mine.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:27 am

Ace #4 yesterday at Bud Hill/ hole #14 Pop's Pond

Ti Wasp, big hyzer started 50+ feet out to the right, well over the pond... BOOM!

Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Discraft Titanium (now with pics)

Postby Cavere » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:51 pm

I have been wanting to replace my fuse which is horribly beat in to the point of useless under 8000' of elevation. So there was a disc dealer at my local course today and asked for a recommendation since they didn't have any mystics yet. He told me the to buzz would have a little flip when thrown with power.

I bought an orange 177g. Man was he wrong... I gave it ten or so drives and it flies a good 340' but no turn whatsoever and quite a fade more than my opto pain. I was a little disappointed but only due to my needs. I'll keep it in my bag for headwind shots that my axis can't handle. Durability seems great. Drilled a tree quite hard on two throws am hardly a scuff in the plastic.
katana--Boss--Surge--Orc--Monster--Roadrunner--Eagle--Buzz--FR Ion
subject to change almost each and every day!
Cavere
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Previous

Return to Equipment