What should be expected in driving?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: What should be expected in driving?

Postby jubuttib » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:16 pm

pask2155 wrote:
turso wrote:
pask2155 wrote:
turso wrote:It's not really that much to do with "normal" and "pro". I max out around 500' on good days and I'm far from being a pro, my putting is shit and directional consistency far from satisfactory. Throwing far doesn't make one a good golfer, it's just fun to do. I'd guess being able to consistently max at around 400' should do just fine if one has accuracy and good putts.

These are great numbers. How long have you been playing disc golf? And how long did it take you to get up to 500'?

This was my third summer of disc golf. I got up to 400' distance in 3-5 months or so of active training when I started. Got up to 430' on first year, but quit active training after that and stayed there for the second year as well. This summer I started gaining distance again, and I didn't get to practice that much of driving, just did a lot of golfing on a short 9-hole course near the place I worked this summer. Did wonders for my approach game.

Shittiest thing is that winter's closing in again, and I'll probably be struggling to reach 400' when the spring comes.
How do you train for more distance???
Turso is an ox of a man, that's why he throws so long.

Well, not really. What he has done is practice, almost to the point of being obsessive compulsive about it at times, try to figure out what went wrong whenever discs don't fly out there like they should, and especially what went right when they do. It's pretty much all technique, muscle strength can help but only so far as you can keep it all together with technique. Finding a good rhythm, accelerating through the hit properly, timing everything right and gripping on that mofo like you're trying to crush it (but only at the hit) are all things you need to figure out when learning to throw long.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby pask2155 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:40 pm

I can relate. All I wanna do is drive some days. Lol. And I do! I throw all the time. I am getting there. I hit 400' every 1 out of 20 or so. My average is around 340-350ish. I wanna get to where I can consistantly shoot an average of 400' all the time on a line. So no crazy annys or massive s curves. But grab my nuke or destroyer and rip them averaging 400. That's my home and I'm close I just wanna know how to get that little bit more is all. And any little things I wanna know.
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby pask2155 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:52 pm

Quick question... Everyone says most player get stuck at 350-380.... What the next plateau?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:57 pm

about 430 I think. There does come a point where it no longer matters.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby pask2155 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:01 pm

430 is that consistantly hitting 430 or maxing at 430 and averaging 400-430?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:11 am

Actually 380' plateau seems to be followed by 400410' and then more on the next plateau which is somewhere at 430' much of the time.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby pask2155 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:35 am

Ok so where am I in this... Lol... I'm averaging 380-420... Does that mean crappy form? Lol

I guess what plateau would I be considered at? Reason I ask is because I want to know what to work on next
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby curt » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:44 am

If you're averaging 380-420, and aren't competing at the pro level, then you're asking yourself the wrong question at this point. That is plenty of distance to compete with just about anybody. (even the guys who can throw 600' rarely have the opportunity to pull that out on a course). How are your 25-30 foot putts? Do you give yourself a gimme every time from 200' and in? Do you usually hit your line when driving? If the answer to any of those questions is no, it will do more for your game to try and change it to a yes than trying to drive 500+ and still not being able to hit a 25 footer consistently.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby JR » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:26 am

Mostly what curt said but also a 500' driver throwing a 430' line drive is making a control shot. So he is far more likely to hit his line more often and missing less drastically when he does. Video is the only real tool to zoom in on what could be improved. I'm stuck at 400-410' and haven't been able to mobilize my injured back on anything faster than approach shots consistently. If i won't full brace the right leg not bending forward at the hip then the momentum transfer from the running to the hip twist is automated and so fast that i can't get my arm to the right pec position. And the arm can't keep up otherwise too so i'm not elbow forward or releasing on a straight line, i'll miss right. And it is way inconsistent for me. I can't reproduce it on command. So your form can be off and you can still gain 400' with modern discs. I've gotten 430' only with s-curves in rear wind and none this year. Only 423'. My ankle hasn't healed yet to be able to pivot on the heel so i haven't even drilled that. So there are things to improve for me and i'm masters eligible next year. So a healthy young person should be able to get to 430' quite easily (relatively speaking with proper coaching and exercising the required plenty of hours) because i'm not too athletic and on the slide when it comes to nerve speed possibly muscle cell speed too. Let alone my mess of a throwing arm that automatically opens the fingers often even in putting because the subconscious protection of the body kicks in thinking it is too stressful :twisted: :roll: That ain't helping holding onto the disc for long enough to move into full hit position with a full disc pivot robbing dozens of feet according to more experienced people able to throw farther than me.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby keltik » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:33 am

curt wrote:If you're averaging 380-420, and aren't competing at the pro level, then you're asking yourself the wrong question at this point. That is plenty of distance to compete with just about anybody. (even the guys who can throw 600' rarely have the opportunity to pull that out on a course). How are your 25-30 foot putts? Do you give yourself a gimme every time from 200' and in? Do you usually hit your line when driving? If the answer to any of those questions is no, it will do more for your game to try and change it to a yes than trying to drive 500+ and still not being able to hit a 25 footer consistently.

this is what I meant by "there comes a point where it no longer matters."
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby pask2155 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:55 pm

curt wrote:If you're averaging 380-420, and aren't competing at the pro level, then you're asking yourself the wrong question at this point. That is plenty of distance to compete with just about anybody. (even the guys who can throw 600' rarely have the opportunity to pull that out on a course). How are your 25-30 foot putts? Do you give yourself a gimme every time from 200' and in? Do you usually hit your line when driving? If the answer to any of those questions is no, it will do more for your game to try and change it to a yes than trying to drive 500+ and still not being able to hit a 25 footer consistently.

Gimmes at 200'? Who the heck would do that??? Lol.

But yes I am pretty good at hitting my lines, no 25 foot putts scare me because I'm like 60% with them (just bought a basket for my basement to use in the off season)....

End of the day I love driving and just love doing max d stuff... It's what I'm into... Hence all the questions...
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby BradC » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:37 am

RE: Gimmies, he means if you are 200' out, is your next shot a drop in?
BradC
Noob

Previous

Return to General Discussion