The Gospel of the PD

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Gospel of the PD

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:12 pm

Booter wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:They are rare at this point. When they were first run, people loved the champystar blends (usually yellow or red) because they would start out stable and beat into really straight. Most S PD's will stay stable for a really long time (for under 400' throwers) and eventually will start to turn just a little, but still keep a strong fade. That's not the PD that people on here love the most, but it's still a great disc.

I remember finding a first run red S PD in the used bin at PIAS a few years ago, not knowing what it was. Unfortunately, the first owner wanted it to fly understable out of the box, so he put it on the ground and used his foot to grind it down on the bottom. It would flip on 250' of power. In hindsight, it's a sad story, but at the time I had no idea.

I've moved down in speed/power from PD's because the "good" PD's are hard to find, and the other ones needed more power and were not as versatile for me as I would have hoped. Also, because the recent runs of P PD's were stiff and would chip when they hit a hard surface instead of getting scuffed or dinged.

ummm good pds are NOT hard to find. just about any spd is a good one.

The point was that the coveted champystar PD's are hard to find. I emphasized that PD's are still great discs, even if they aren't champystar.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:23 pm

I've got two red DGR Champystars and to me they aren't any better than the regular DGR S PD. YMMV. All of those are pretty harshly fading so i prefer the P PDs. And FTT P PD could work for you too. The heavier the winds the better the PD gets and it is shorter than the Beast and fades certainly and won't flip as easily and it is speed 9.5 so roughly the same speed.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Booter » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:28 pm

thosechampy stars arent hard to find.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby maskedavenger » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:02 am

JR wrote:Current ones are good too but with breaking in them to less fading will also make them flip a little and the plastic is softer and less durable to the point of needing to be thrown only when there aren't a lot of rocks around if you wanna avoid a really fast beating and damage to the looks of the disc.

[sidetrack]
The bolded part, I hardly think this is a problem. Matter of opinions I guess but if you're a collector and worried about the looks of a disc, then don't throw it :) I personally throw everything I have at least once in a while (of course I won't by the rarest of the rare discs or others that are too expensive). And actually, a beat to s#!t disc is a thing of beauty to me, aesthetically. They show that they have been used A LOT and every disc wants to fly... they also often fliy lines that brand new discs have a hard time copying. Until eventually, such lines may not be very useful, other than for rollers I guess. :roll:
[/sidetrack]
maskedavenger
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby JR » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:42 am

I throw everything but there is a practical side to dings and gouges in that the disc can be harder or easier to grip and a moon cratered disc is harder on the skin.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:39 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:
Booter wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:They are rare at this point. When they were first run, people loved the champystar blends (usually yellow or red) because they would start out stable and beat into really straight. Most S PD's will stay stable for a really long time (for under 400' throwers) and eventually will start to turn just a little, but still keep a strong fade. That's not the PD that people on here love the most, but it's still a great disc.

I remember finding a first run red S PD in the used bin at PIAS a few years ago, not knowing what it was. Unfortunately, the first owner wanted it to fly understable out of the box, so he put it on the ground and used his foot to grind it down on the bottom. It would flip on 250' of power. In hindsight, it's a sad story, but at the time I had no idea.

I've moved down in speed/power from PD's because the "good" PD's are hard to find, and the other ones needed more power and were not as versatile for me as I would have hoped. Also, because the recent runs of P PD's were stiff and would chip when they hit a hard surface instead of getting scuffed or dinged.

ummm good pds are NOT hard to find. just about any spd is a good one.

The point was that the coveted champystar PD's are hard to find. I emphasized that PD's are still great discs, even if they aren't champystar.
And my point wasn't "the PDs people love most" but "the PDs most people love". So yeah, champystars are great (and I've seen them in the stores not too long ago...) but your average S-PD that has a hint of turn for a 400+' thrower and a strong penetrating fade (faster TeEagleBird) is the one people are most acquainted with and most people love them.

EDIT: And even if you're not a 400+' thrower they're still great, because they power down well, aren't too meathook (though certainly overstable), and they beat in beautifully. My oldest one (been with me since my second season) has now developed a nice controllable turn when thrown around 350', and still has a nice fade at the end, always coming back. It can still fight headwinds in a similar way an Eagle-X can, and it's just plain fun to throw.

EDIT2: And yeah, I haven't ever thrown an S-PD I didn't like, even the flukey ones that are understable are great as understable discs, but naturally they're really not what the PD is about. You can use them to build a working bag that only has PDs for drivers though. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby discspeed » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:26 am

The red champystar SPDs make the best turning PDs once really beat...They just glide straight on a hyzer angle as they flip and hang in the air when turned better than normal ones. The one I lost was my favorite PD (hit a $100 ace with it).

Yellow champystars start out flying basically like a good SPD, but they season as slow as champ plastic. As they season they retain more HSS than other SPDs while losing the LSS, making them a little more TB than EX. I like all SPDs though, and I throw these yellow ones mostly due to their durability.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby dehaas » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:19 am

I received a test config a while back like some others did, just one more thing to ask about when ordering online. My local shop has a small selection of pds, but I think 2 of their s lines were test configs too. I also about cried the other day when I got some s tds in the mail and they didn't have patent numbers and the rims were plusified. Maybe I have just been lucky, but I hadn't seen a plus rimmed s td until that point.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby jamon » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:51 pm

jamon wrote:
MR. WICK wrote:Been out of the pd game for a while.....and I'm not going back and reading 100 something pages.

Can someone give me a rundown on these?: https://www.discgolfvalues.com/store/in ... ductId=782

I just picked up a couple of those. This will be my first go with PDs, I'll report back.

Got a chance to throw these today, chartreuse, flat and 170g's

They were stable but not super overstable as I was expecting. Thrown with a very slight hyzer they flew dead straight with a heavy dump/minimal fade at the end of the flight, ~375ish

Thrown flat they slid/turned for half the flight, panned out and then dumped out at ~400ish.

Looking forward to trying the P and S lines for extra glide and less of a "dump" at the end of the flight.
jamon
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FR Buzzz

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:07 pm

discspeed wrote:The red champystar SPDs make the best turning PDs once really beat...They just glide straight on a hyzer angle as they flip and hang in the air when turned better than normal ones. The one I lost was my favorite PD (hit a $100 ace with it).

Yellow champystars start out flying basically like a good SPD, but they season as slow as champ plastic. As they season they retain more HSS than other SPDs while losing the LSS, making them a little more TB than EX. I like all SPDs though, and I throw these yellow ones mostly due to their durability.

Score. Just picked up a red 168 and a yellow 175, both champystar (red more-so than yellow). I'll take back my last comment about these being hard to find.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dgdave » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:53 pm

I'm falling back in love with PDs. I got a few really nice S recently and they are so sweet. PD/TD combo is in full effect.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby discspeed » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:17 am

dgdave wrote:I'm falling back in love with PDs. I got a few really nice S recently and they are so sweet. PD/TD combo is in full effect.

I've yet to be unfaithful to my PDs, but I did just slip the TD back in and I forgot how nice the combo was. I did like the FD, but I think I like the combo of a slower neutral FWY (QJ right now) and the TD on the long end of neutral control drivers.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby dgdave » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:48 am

I always had a pd or 2 in the bag, the TD just got most of the play
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby Booter » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:05 am

agreed the pd td combo is money. throw the qj in there too and your good to go. i love all 3 discs ALOT
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby dgdave » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:17 am

I'm using Tee birds instead of QJs. I haven't thrown a JLS in 10 years or so. Maybe I should.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment