Running list of molds that are + rim (intentional or not)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Running list of molds that are + rim (intentional or not

Postby jubuttib » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:40 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:I don't feel like going through the trouble of posting 2 pics just cuz you are skeptical of what I said, but yeah...if i poke a pen or something into my old S-PD and my new one, the difference is just as much, if not more, than those TD pics you posted...I know what a fuckin +rim feels like.
Well that confirms it then. Goddamn Innova...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Running list of molds that are + rim (intentional or not

Postby CatPredator » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:21 am

I'm not really sure what to make of this slanted rim trend but I also found a Champ Sidewinder that feels like a plus rim. My gut tells me it's just how discs are molding up this year because of the weird weather we've been having across the whole country (hot, drought, weird barometric pressure, w/e), but who knows...
CatPredator
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:54 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Favorite Disc: Aviars

Re: Running list of molds that are + rim (intentional or not

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:47 pm

Yeah man, I hate my S-PD+, it's way straighter than a PD should be in new condition and of course I rarely get proper snap due to the slant...really not very happy with Innova right now, if Strikers weren't so wildly inconsistent I'd just go.back to those.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar
User avatar
 
Posts: 8225
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 am
Location: *NorCal*
Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: Running list of molds that are + rim (intentional or not

Postby jubuttib » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:49 pm

Hmm, sounds like something I'd like to try. I like straight S-PDs, and have never been bothered by the slants. I'll still hate it out of principle, but I want to try it. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Running list of molds that are + rim (intentional or not

Postby JR » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:20 pm

CatPredator wrote:I'm not really sure what to make of this slanted rim trend but I also found a Champ Sidewinder that feels like a plus rim. My gut tells me it's just how discs are molding up this year because of the weird weather we've been having across the whole country (hot, drought, weird barometric pressure, w/e), but who knows...


Was the plastic clear and does the Sidewinder flip less than older examples? Innova has new mix or different plastic in champ recently. If i've understood correctly people report champs being more overstable in this plastic and correct me if i'm wrong but some have definitely reported this clear plastic being gummy and others hard. More than one blend or material? Last year someone here told that Star Sidewinders were more HSS and less squirrely than before and i bought one and can confirm it in my example. It is still a very understable flip hyzer disc at any sort of power throw. Somebody wrote lately that he got a champ Sidewinder that doesn't turn much at all. So i am interested in one and might buy one if those clear champs ever make it across the pond. But i'm more interested about clear more HSS Beasts that aren't plus molds :-D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Running list of molds that are + rim (intentional or not

Postby CatPredator » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:44 am

JR wrote:Was the plastic clear and does the Sidewinder flip less than older examples? Innova has new mix or different plastic in champ recently....some have definitely reported this clear plastic being gummy and others hard.


I'm noticing this one does not have flight numbers on it so it must be a little bit older. In any event, it's on the softer side of the spectrum, and it has a dome that makes the percussive popping sound. It is less understable than Sidewinders I've thrown in the past. I haven't field tested it but I did throw it on a few water holes during the day. It wasn't turning much on the few 350' shots I was using it for.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:54 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Favorite Disc: Aviars

Re: Running list of molds that are + rim (intentional or not

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:53 am

jubuttib wrote:Hmm, sounds like something I'd like to try. I like straight S-PDs, and have never been bothered by the slants. I'll still hate it out of principle, but I want to try it. =)

if you didn't live on the other side of the world I'd trade it to you for a proper one
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar
User avatar
 
Posts: 8225
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 am
Location: *NorCal*
Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: Running list of molds that are + rim (intentional or not

Postby AbelRod » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:56 pm

new z wasps
NUKE, Pred, XL, Comet, Buzzz, Challenger
AbelRod
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:44 pm
Location: Naugatuck, CT
Favorite Disc: comet

Re: Running list of molds that are + rim (intentional or not

Postby JR » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:19 pm

CatPredator wrote:
JR wrote:Was the plastic clear and does the Sidewinder flip less than older examples? Innova has new mix or different plastic in champ recently....some have definitely reported this clear plastic being gummy and others hard.


I'm noticing this one does not have flight numbers on it so it must be a little bit older. In any event, it's on the softer side of the spectrum, and it has a dome that makes the percussive popping sound. It is less understable than Sidewinders I've thrown in the past. I haven't field tested it but I did throw it on a few water holes during the day. It wasn't turning much on the few 350' shots I was using it for.


I haven't come across a Sidewinder like that but i am not using that disc anyway so i rarely fondle them and even more rarely throw my Star. I wonder if the less flip of your Champ and the newer Stars come from plastics changes or a mold tweak or change?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Running list of molds that are + rim (intentional or not

Postby JR » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:19 pm

AbelRod wrote:new z wasps


NOOOOO!!!! Not Disraft too!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11473
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Running list of molds that are + rim (intentional or not

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:57 pm

I think I read somewhere that Valks were an experiment and were not going to be run in + molds...hope thats true!
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Running list of molds that are + rim (intentional or not

Postby keltik » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:09 pm

If it was an experiment then how/why did it make it to store shelves?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 3382
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: High Point NC
Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: Running list of molds that are + rim (intentional or not

Postby roman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:29 pm

All the + rimmed Rocs I've picked up this year have been pretty beefy, so I'm a fan. As long as they don't start making + rimmed Destrulcans.
roman
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 724
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:45 pm
Location: IL

Re: Running list of molds that are + rim (intentional or not

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:50 pm

keltik wrote:If it was an experiment then how/why did it make it to store shelves?


Good question. But that almost makes sense considering all the tinkering Innova does. Also, they weren't stamped, which lends credibility to the theory that they were an experimental run. And by experimental, I don't mean "test" (ex: test-run PD's), but an unannounced tinkering with the mold to see how people like it (same thing with the Destrulcan, etc.) That might not make sense, but it's my best guess.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Running list of molds that are + rim (intentional or not

Postby jubuttib » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:46 pm

keltik wrote:If it was an experiment then how/why did it make it to store shelves?
Because Innova will release anything rather than waste plastic, and also to see whether anyone really gives a fuck. And 99% won't.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Previous

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests