MVP's new driver -- Volt

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP's new driver -- Volt

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:27 am

I'll be interested in trying one out in my PD slot when they come out.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Wyno » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:32 am

I'll be interested in trying one out in my PD slot when they come out.

ditto.
I'm actually more interested in this disc for other stuff than the gyro. The shape looks interesting, and I'm curious as to how it will wear, with that softer outer plastic.
And I'm really curious about this machinery... :-)
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby kern9787 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:40 pm

Zam review >>> Discspeed review

Just saying.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:26 pm

I'm pretty interested in this because it is getting hard to get good SOLFs so I might need an alternate.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Steve » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:35 pm

Leopard wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:Well, that's because nobody has a Volt to talk about (other than our resident company shills...and trust me, if you ask them, it is like every other disc in it's category...but it does everything a little bit better.)

i think i'm still the only one in possession of a Volt. in my tests it is exactly like every other disc in its category... no more no less. it is sitting there doing nothing, having never been thrown. it looks just like a regular driver sitting there, but has a black ring. sometimes i flip it upside down to sort pocket change, just so i can put it through its paces. it holds coins just like all my other drivers, no better or worse. i hope this review has been helpful!

I have been using an ultrastar for this. I find the extra room useful for holding on to reciepts that I will never need again.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby discspeed » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:46 am

This is Zam's super secret Volt testing facility that he won't admit to.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Leopard » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:15 am

discspeed wrote:This is Zam's super secret Volt testing facility that he won't admit to.

that's the pillow NORAD i built to play with it. i'm matthew broderick and my Volt is WOPR.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Mike C » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:07 am

Frank Delicious wrote:I'm pretty interested in this because it is getting hard to get good SOLFs so I might need an alternate.

Tell me about it. I lost my flat, worn to flippy one on a stupid fh shot over water and can't find one like it. I have a molf that is less predictable and another solf that is sort of weird and waxy feeling and doesn't glide well. I do have a nice 1.1 solf that's awesome but it's not beat up enough yet. It's also a pale orange so I don't want to bag it with fall right around the corner.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby sunspot » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:04 pm

discspeed wrote:I visited the MVP factory/warehouse today and had the chance to throw some proto Volts. The first thing I noticed is that the rim does not feel like 2.0 cm. It feels about the same as my PDs, if not slightly smaller...I don't understand how the PDGA came up with that measurement. The nose was thicker and more rounded than a PD and the wing was slightly less concave and without a flat part at the wing tip.
I tested several blue Volts weighing 169-175, and 2 pink 175s. I basically threw them as I would my slightly broken in SPDs and they were performing very similarly. They felt a bit slower than the PD with a bit more glide. There was high speed turn at a certain speed, but the transition was very slow and smooth. I threw them on power hyzers, flat shots, S shots, and pure anhyzers and a variety of powered down shots and my throws found their intended lines as if I had been using the disc for years. They where working well FH for me too. The pinks had a slightly higher shoulder and were noticeably more LSS than the blues, which where flatter, and straighter, especially when powered down. The Volt is definitely closer to a fairway driver than a distance driver imo. The cruising speed felt lower than a PD, especially on the blues. It's hard to say for sure as I'm not sure of the distances I was throwing today, but they seemed slightly shorter than a PD (closer to Avenger/OLF distance).
If the production run ends up like these protos I could actually see them replacing my PDs. The Volt is exactly the disc I wanted them to make. It was so intuitive and easy for me to throw with a variety of release angles and get the lines I visualized that I could see it taking over the majority of my drives on my home courses.
As far as the release date, I think MVP is going to make an announcement sometime fairly soon. Don't expect it in the near future (this will be my only comment on this matter)...

Specifically, how much shorter do you think they were going compared to your PD? If I can get PD distance with less cruising speed, then I will be happy.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby discspeed » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:49 am

sunspot wrote:
discspeed wrote:I visited the MVP factory/warehouse today and had the chance to throw some proto Volts. The first thing I noticed is that the rim does not feel like 2.0 cm. It feels about the same as my PDs, if not slightly smaller...I don't understand how the PDGA came up with that measurement. The nose was thicker and more rounded than a PD and the wing was slightly less concave and without a flat part at the wing tip.
I tested several blue Volts weighing 169-175, and 2 pink 175s. I basically threw them as I would my slightly broken in SPDs and they were performing very similarly. They felt a bit slower than the PD with a bit more glide. There was high speed turn at a certain speed, but the transition was very slow and smooth. I threw them on power hyzers, flat shots, S shots, and pure anhyzers and a variety of powered down shots and my throws found their intended lines as if I had been using the disc for years. They where working well FH for me too. The pinks had a slightly higher shoulder and were noticeably more LSS than the blues, which where flatter, and straighter, especially when powered down. The Volt is definitely closer to a fairway driver than a distance driver imo. The cruising speed felt lower than a PD, especially on the blues. It's hard to say for sure as I'm not sure of the distances I was throwing today, but they seemed slightly shorter than a PD (closer to Avenger/OLF distance).
If the production run ends up like these protos I could actually see them replacing my PDs. The Volt is exactly the disc I wanted them to make. It was so intuitive and easy for me to throw with a variety of release angles and get the lines I visualized that I could see it taking over the majority of my drives on my home courses.
As far as the release date, I think MVP is going to make an announcement sometime fairly soon. Don't expect it in the near future (this will be my only comment on this matter)...

Specifically, how much shorter do you think they were going compared to your PD? If I can get PD distance with less cruising speed, then I will be happy.

You must have missed the subject and focused on the predicate.... :lol: I can't really be any more specific because I was throwing a proto around the Richardson's farm with no marked distances. It seemed a nick slower than the PD, but it seemed to stay in the air with less speed, so the distance was hard to judge.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby zj1002 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:11 am

So what you are saying is that it shoots out rainbows...but you couldn't see the rainbows? 8)

also PD and OLF = same distance
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby sunspot » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:30 am

discspeed wrote:
You must have missed the subject and focused on the predicate.... :lol:

Yeah, I overlooked it... 8) :D
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby CloudySkyJedi » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:49 pm

C'mon MVP!! Give me something. I've been waiting (very patiently) as I'm sure others are as well. And all I get is radio silence. Week after week I keep checking for a release date, but I can't find anything. Does anyone know of at least a ball park release date? Fall? Winter? Never?

This is easily my most anticipated MVP disc. I just need something, anything, to keep me interested. CFR PD's are getting hard to find and too pricey. I'm ready to drop them if the volt is EVER released.
Anode Rhyno Vector Axis Roc Firebird PD FD Volt Quasar Nuke
CloudySkyJedi
Noob

Favorite Disc: Anode

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:01 pm

Flying Spaghetti Disc.

Does Not Exist.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore