Using your bag as a backstop?

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Using your bag as a backstop?

Postby Itchy » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:53 pm

Before I play in the mornings I like to eat my breakfast at the park. I was eating and watching people play and this one guy would putt on a hyzer and always put his bag about 6 feet behind the basket a little to the left. Well, he missed about 1/3rd of his putts that I watched, but if he missed, he missed wide right and his putter would hyzer around and hit his bag then stop.

I know if somebody else's bag is in your way and you don't ask them to move it, it becomes a part of the course, but can you purposely place your own bag to stop your disc? Is there some kind of sportsmanship rule against that?
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Re: Using your bag as a backstop?

Postby curt » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:30 pm

Part of Rule 803.07.A reads: "Players shall not stand or leave their equipment where interference with the flight
or path of a disc could easily occur."

The rules go on to clarify that an away player may require a other players to move their bags, but doesn't say anything about someone intentionally putting their bag in the way. I think the rule is pretty clear on not leaving your bag where it can easily get in the way of a shot, but there isn't any punishment for it in the rulebook. I think if someone did this repeatedly, and refused to quite, they could be disqualified for intentionally breaking the rules though. (I think that's in there somewhere).
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Return to Rules Discussion