Any idea how to make disc golf fun again?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Any idea how to make disc golf fun again?

Postby rusch_bag » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:03 pm

I hurt my back last year in June and basically took completely off of disc golf until spring this year. Honestly, I wouldn't even say I ever got back into it. There have been a few occasions where I tried to get in it for like a week, but it did not really work out ever. I just don't have the same passion for this game that I once did and it really sucks to me because disc golf was my life. It is at the point where I just traded in 280 discs to play it again sports for like 3 dollars a piece and it did not bother me at all. Do you guys have any ideas on how to get the flame back in me and get out there playing again? Have any of you gone through anything like this ever and what cured you? I know people come in and out of this sport, is it just my time to move on and keep doing other stuff? Thanks in advance.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: Any idea how to make disc golf fun again?

Postby Star Shark » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:08 am

Watch some good tourney coverage. Best players throwing the killer courses. A-Ha! That's what good shots are. Always gets me psyched up to go play. The other thing is just go out and screw around. Throw shots, don't worry about your score. This always helps if your buds are with you.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby victorb » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:10 am

I would have said take some time off, but seeing as how you did that already, I agree that watching some players shred some tough courses is a great way to get the fire going. At least for me it is. I know I can play 1000+ golf, but my confidence is shaky a lot of the time so watching these guys with ultimate amount of confidence in their game gets me fired up to go out and play.

Other than that, if playing doesn't spark your fire as much as it used to, maybe try organizing and running a few events. Maybe for you, seeing other people have fun at events you put on will get you motivated to play a little.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:35 am

Why is it not as fun as it used to be? Did you feel frustrated you were playing as well as you used to or is it something else?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Leopard » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:45 am

just enjoy frisbee like a normal person, and you will see disc golf in a whole new light. throw frisbees around... lids, catch toys, and golf discs will naturally intrigue you again. better to not go balls deep again though... just enjoy it for what it is.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby turso » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:17 am

Abandon all hope, sell your discs and buy beer with the money. Watch TV for the rest of your life.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby money 21 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:13 pm

Pick up a new hobby and play disc more for fun with friend and see if the spark come back if not move on.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby rusch_bag » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:50 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Why is it not as fun as it used to be? Did you feel frustrated you were playing as well as you used to or is it something else?

It is a combination of things. I am frustrated for sure at my skill level. Before I got hurt I shot around 10 rounds in a row over 980, the few tournaments I played this year I shot around 935ish golf (my rating dropped from 975 to 940 over the past year). I can still throw over 400, but my touch game and control is gone which makes sense as I haven't been playing a lot. I also recently graduated with my undergrad but am now going to grad school full time so not a lot has changed there besides the people around. I used to have 15ish guys in our college club that I could call at any point and go throw a round with, but now there are just the weird old locals around to go out there with. I also used to be able to just go enjoy nature and throw a round by myself, but I don't even think I am capable of that anymore. I think another problem is the local courses. The three closest courses to me all seem to have something going on. The one has been out of the ground the entire summer as they are doing something to the creek and for some reason that means they have to pull all the baskets and cut down a ton of trees. Another course that was closed for half a year to be redone opened back up, but in my opinion they ruined the course and it became pay to play and I do not feel the course is worth paying for. So that leaves me with one course that is really long, wide open, and has 0 elevation and offers no variety or challenge. You can shank your drive 100 feet to a direction of where you were aiming and still get a 3 on every hole.

Sorry for the block of text and poor grammar. Thanks for your input to everyone who has contributed.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby turso » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:58 pm

It is a tough question to answer really, I guess the first thing for you to do is to get to the bottom of the reason why it's not sucking you back in. If you can answer that at some point, then it's a question of will you or can you make it a part of your life again.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby keltik » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:11 pm

quit cryin' and do some push ups.

I think ZAM had the right idea. play ultimate or guts or something else. or just quit. how long have you been playing?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby dgdave » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:16 pm

Listen to ZAM. I just play for fun now. Don't really care about scores or skills. Play a league now and then just to have a little competition, but that's not what it's about. Now it's a supplement to life instead of life.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby andrew » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:00 pm

I played drums for 20 years and did so professionally from 2000- 2004 before realizing I could make a lot more money by working a lot less. I quit drumming altogether by 2006 and people still bitch at me about it and I still don't miss it. From my perspective, I used to try and prove my validity by my dedication to hitting things. In reality, it was more akin to war than fun. I just wanted to prove to myself that I could do what others suggested I'd never learn.

A few years ago I got into disc golf and this summer have thought a lot about whether I'm still playing because it's fun or because it's my personality to perfect a task at all costs. Fortunately for me, I'm not really very good at disc golf... yet.
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby JHern » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:35 pm

rusch_bag wrote:...am now going to grad school full time...

Maybe a good time to focus on your studies. The effort you put into that will pay off big time later in life, trust me.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Disc Golf Live » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:16 am

Pick up a bag of clubs. Haul yourself down to a nearby muni. Plunk down $65 for 18 holes. Let the starter pair you with a couple guys you don't know, one of whom will have nothing positive to say all day. Play golf. That should do it.
Joe Wander
Producer and Editor
Disc Golf Live video magazine
www.discgolflive.com
Bringing DG to TV, one community at a time
Disc Golf Live
Tree Magnet

Postby Ryen91 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Find people who play and play for a dollar a hole 5 dollar aces on ace wholes it bring competitiveness back and if you have a foursome you can win some good money think about it if you won all 18 holes that is 18 dollars times 3 then and you get 4 aces that is 20 times 3 so you can win money and money typically for me brings life back into whatever sport im playing
Ryen91
Noob

Favorite Disc: Tee Rex

Next

Return to General Discussion