Everyone has probably wondered this... (lost disc)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Everyone has probably wondered this... (lost disc)

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:47 am

discspeed wrote:
andrew wrote:
Isobar wrote:I have been known to not return discs to people that are known for keeping discs that aren't theirs.

An eye for an eye and the whole world is blind... but if your enemy is hungry, feed him... for it will be like burning coals upon his head....

fixed

No, I said it. This guy would find your disc and cross your name out before it went in his bag. When someone asked if I knew him because they had one of his discs I told them to just keep it because he would never return the favor.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby isobar » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:49 am

discspeed wrote:
andrew wrote:
Isobar wrote:I have been known to not return discs to people that are known for keeping discs that aren't theirs.

An eye for an eye and the whole world is blind... but if your enemy is hungry, feed him... for it will be like burning coals upon his head....

fixed

I didn't say that, I just said if there's more than one person who put their ink on a disc and I have no way of knowing who the true owner is, I won't return it. I play at Cass regularly enough to know a lot of the regulars up there, and if I see their name they will get it back, or they'll tell me that they traded it away and it does belong to the other person. There's also always someone up there selling discs who's usually knows if someone is searching for a lost disc you can talk to as well. But if I can't figure out who the real owner of it is, I won't give it back and risk giving it to the person who found it the first time and never returned it.
isobar
Noob

Favorite Disc: Surge

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:58 pm

I would rather have a 50/50 shot at getting my disc back than none at all. Most of the people playing are honest and if it was my go to disc I would want at least a chance. I suggest if you don't plan on calling at all you should leave the disc there so it has a remote chance of making it home.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:05 pm

isobar wrote:
discspeed wrote:
andrew wrote:

fixed

I didn't say that, I just said if there's more than one person who put their ink on a disc and I have no way of knowing who the true owner is, I won't return it. I play at Cass regularly enough to know a lot of the regulars up there, and if I see their name they will get it back, or they'll tell me that they traded it away and it does belong to the other person. There's also always someone up there selling discs who's usually knows if someone is searching for a lost disc you can talk to as well. But if I can't figure out who the real owner of it is, I won't give it back and risk giving it to the person who found it the first time and never returned it.
I know of a local guy who died of a heart attack while playing. His wife gave away his discs to his friends after he passed. I know some of those discs have more than one persons ink on them. Would those be fair game in your book to keep for yourself?
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Postby isobar » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Sure, there's always going to be some casualties. But knowing the course I play at, and the amount of assholes who play the course, I can safely say at least 75% of the people who find discs either sell them, trade them or keep them. So yeah, I don't feel bad knowing that I will occasionally keep a legit disc, but the majority are from people who aren't the rightful owners.
isobar
Noob

Favorite Disc: Surge

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:17 pm

isobar wrote:Sure, there's always going to be some casualties. But knowing the course I play at, and the amount of assholes who play the course, I can safely say at least 75% of the people who find discs either sell them, trade them or keep them. So yeah, I don't feel bad knowing that I will occasionally keep a legit disc, but the majority are from people who aren't the rightful owners.
The place you're from sounds like trash. Around here most disc golfers (even the chuckers) are decent and honest.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fritz » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:36 am

turso wrote:My routine is usually to call them twice, if they don't answer, the disc is mine.

Hopefully by answer, meaning you leave a message and they don't call you back.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Fritz » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:39 am

allsport1313 wrote:As the title suggests, my dilemma may be a common occurrence in the sport of disc golf, so please forgive me if there is already a standardized procedure in place. :)

I am new to the sport, but already my trunk has stockpiled with discs, discs that do not belong to me. Some of these discs have been successfully returned to their owners, while the majority of them(10+) can't seem to find their way home. After several attempts at contacting their owners(minimally a text, call, then voicemail), I am at a loss for what to do. A lot of these I have been holding on to for a month or more. Up until now I have refrained from throwing them for fear of scuffing or even losing a disc that is not mine.

Which brings me to the core of my question: When do these become my discs? A few of them I am just itching to throw, but I want to know what you guys would do. What have you done in the event of an abandoned disc? If and when it does transfer ownership, do I cross out their name and their number? Do I leave it hoping I run into them some day? How do I deal with these existential crises?

Thanks for any advice! :D

You made multiple attempts to return the disc. No response means congratulations you have some treasures.
If they don't care enough to call you back or respond to the txt email, they don't care about the disc.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Previous

Return to Equipment