MVP Neutron Axis and Vector

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Neutron Axis and Vector

Postby jubuttib » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:12 am

Axis is up there with the Comet in that category, both can get some huge lateral movement.

Of course one must take into consideration that unless you throw really high you can actually go further sideways with a smaller angle than with a large one, because the disc can stay in the air longer with a small angle (better balance of lift used to keep it aloft vs. used to move it sideways).
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:31 am

Agreed with both Jhern and jub and adding Warship and QMS to the high glide lots of sideways movement camp. And in tweeners Squall and Sabre for less impressive glide but a lot still vs Skeeter and the king of glide Kite.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mike C » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:00 pm

Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Rogue9 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:32 pm

So I got my storm trooper axis today, 175g, from community discs and noticed something. The overmold on it comes slightly further down the bead than my two month old purple proton and the orange eclipse I also got today. Its enough that you notice the difference running your finger over the edge, and you can see it as well. Anyone else notice this?

Also the flight plate to overmold transition is very smooth on the Neutron, there is a much less smooth transition. My purple proton has mostly a smooth transition but has a couple rough spots. Is this normal? I haven't had the opportunity to paw more than my own MVP discs.

The purple proton has a slight dome, the neutron is slightly flatter but still has done. The eclipse is by far the domiest.

Won't be able to put it through its paces till either Friday or Monday.
Rogue9
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Axis

Postby discspeed » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:32 am

Rogue9 wrote:So I got my storm trooper axis today, 175g, from community discs and noticed something. The overmold on it comes slightly further down the bead than my two month old purple proton and the orange eclipse I also got today. Its enough that you notice the difference running your finger over the edge, and you can see it as well. Anyone else notice this?

Also the flight plate to overmold transition is very smooth on the Neutron, there is a much less smooth transition. My purple proton has mostly a smooth transition but has a couple rough spots. Is this normal? I haven't had the opportunity to paw more than my own MVP discs.

The purple proton has a slight dome, the neutron is slightly flatter but still has done. The eclipse is by far the domiest.

Won't be able to put it through its paces till either Friday or Monday.

When I examine all my MVP discs I notice that there is some slight variance in each mold regarding exactly where the overmold is situated. My FR green Axis has the smallest bead of all my Axis. The difference is very small, but perceivable. When throwing my Axis in a field this doesn't seem to make much difference in how they fly...I have an unstamped (probable FR) Axis that has the biggest bead of all my Axis and it doesn't fly any more stable than my other ones.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:05 am

I picked up a bunch of Neutron Axis/Vectors from CDGS as backups because they have become my main two mids.

I've got 5 flat 176 N Axis (2 dayglow yellow, 3 red) and they are completely different from the Protons and more of what I wanted the Axis to be all along...A more gyro Buzzz. These are so much faster than the Protons that I would rate them a whole point in speed faster. They aren't quite as fast as a 2FR Buzzz, but they are as fast or faster than your average Z Buzzz. They have about the same HSS as a Z Buzzz with perhaps a touch less LSS. They seem to glide/float a bit better than a Z Buzzz at mid to low speeds (closer to X Buzzz). Anyway, if you haven't caught on to the theme, MVP finally made me a Buzzz! All 5 of these discs (especially the yellows) remind me much more of a Buzzz than they do their proton brethren. I have to believe that Neutron plastic is molding truer and this is more what Chad had in mind when he designed the Axis.

I also grabbed 5 (3 orange/2red) flat 174 Neutron Vectors. When I was a Buzzz thrower, this was the overstable mid I was searching for as a compliment but never quite found. They are really fast out of the hand, almost fairway driver fast. Under power they fly fast and straight and hold their line/height/nose angle as true as anything. As soon as they start to slow the fade kicks in. Since they are fast and light, the fade gets both good glide and a lot of lateral movement. They've been working great for hard anny shots that need to fight out, as well as low ceilings, straight shots into the wind, and any other sort of line shaping that the Axis doesn't like.
discspeed

Postby JR » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:03 pm

As a flat top high PLH concave wing Z Buzzz lover the N Axis sounds like a hell of a disc at least as long as grip ain't an issue from water and the plastic slickness due to cold temps. I gotta get one like that description to test drool.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby discspeed » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:38 pm

The N Axis even does a couple things well that the Buzzz doesn't...It holds a beautiful altitude-holding sweeping annies and hyzers that glide forward but do not push out of their line. It is extremely fast and straight like the Buzzz on flat lines as well, so it can be unforgiving in terms of line and range like the Buzzz.
discspeed

Postby JR » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Coyote is also fast and longer than the Buzzz and i'm ok with it because flat shots are what i've trained the most because local courses need those. What me worry? Naah! :D
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby victorb » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:23 am

I know the plastic is still new, but is there a significant difference in how the neutron plastic wears in when compared to the proton plastic? I don't know if it matters much since the overmold is the same but I'm interested to know. I'd love to be able to use just the axis and vector as my midranges. Right now I have a Comet to compliment for right turning shots that I don't feel confident using either my p. or n. axis to hit.

I will say that I think I like the feel of the Neutron plastic better, has a little more grip to it than the Proton. I'm still new to the MVP stuff so I'd like to hear more comparisons between the plastics in terms of flight and wear (and I'm not reading 135 pages of the MVP thread, yes, I'm lazy)
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby discspeed » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:54 pm

Neutron plastic is tough as hell...I have a Neutron Axis that was a bit domey and quite overstable for an Axis. I flattened it with hot water and then I took it out and threw on pavement over and over again. After that I threw it against a stone and mortar wall about 30 times as hard as I could FH and BH...Then I folded it in half along every inch of the overmold and straightened it out again. After all that it is still straight. I was disappointed...The disc looks like it would be understable, but it's not even a little bit.
discspeed

Postby Monkeypaws » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:11 pm

keltik wrote:you know when I was a kid I always wondered why the kids in the commercial never choked that bird to death for stealing their tootsie roll pops.

You weren't alone man :D
Monkeypaws
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Shark

Postby victorb » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:15 am

discspeed wrote:Neutron plastic is tough as hell...I have a Neutron Axis that was a bit domey and quite overstable for an Axis. I flattened it with hot water and then I took it out and threw on pavement over and over again. After that I threw it against a stone and mortar wall about 30 times as hard as I could FH and BH...Then I folded it in half along every inch of the overmold and straightened it out again. After all that it is still straight. I was disappointed...The disc looks like it would be understable, but it's not even a little bit.

Yep, the couple of Axii that I have - one each of proton, neutron, and eclipse - are all very straight even at high speeds. I was hoping that they would hyzer flip, at least a little bit, to show some indication that I could work lines with them, but I have to throw them all pretty darn hard to keep them straight. The Neutron Axis I have is incredibly high speed stable (at least for what I was expecting it to be) and I have to throw it like a driver to keep it from fading out earlier than intended. It's basically the same as the neutron vector I have, with a slightly less pronounced fade.

I was hoping they could beat in to something workable, because so far I'm disappointed.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby discspeed » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:43 am

victorb wrote:
discspeed wrote:Neutron plastic is tough as hell...I have a Neutron Axis that was a bit domey and quite overstable for an Axis. I flattened it with hot water and then I took it out and threw on pavement over and over again. After that I threw it against a stone and mortar wall about 30 times as hard as I could FH and BH...Then I folded it in half along every inch of the overmold and straightened it out again. After all that it is still straight. I was disappointed...The disc looks like it would be understable, but it's not even a little bit.

Yep, the couple of Axii that I have - one each of proton, neutron, and eclipse - are all very straight even at high speeds. I was hoping that they would hyzer flip, at least a little bit, to show some indication that I could work lines with them, but I have to throw them all pretty darn hard to keep them straight. The Neutron Axis I have is incredibly high speed stable (at least for what I was expecting it to be) and I have to throw it like a driver to keep it from fading out earlier than intended. It's basically the same as the neutron vector I have, with a slightly less pronounced fade.

I was hoping they could beat in to something workable, because so far I'm disappointed.

You need to find a completely flat N Axis 175-176...Those are the shit. They have a slight high speed turn (when thrown like a driver) and very modest LSS. The two I got as testers (blue 177, pink 178, both domey) fly like different discs all the way around...I gave the pink away and the blue was the one I tried unsuccessfully to make understable.
discspeed

Previous

Return to Equipment