41%
Star
24%
Dx
35%

Total votes : 37

Re: Teebird plastic...?

Postby jubuttib » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:03 am

pask2155 wrote:Well I find this fascinating that we have a TB thread and all the fanboys are gone and no one is saying they love this disc... It's the classic, it's a great disc but... Lol.

So I guess if everyone isn't using them anymore then why does everyone refer everyone to them?
Part of it is technological advancement, there have been some immensely good discs that have come out in recent years, putters and mids that power up well and long drivers that power down well have reduced the need for a true fairway driver, part of it is that people here are disc nerds who tend to get too excited over new plastic, and also throw significantly longer on average, and can handle faster discs better, the whole game is trying to shift more focus into long drives, part could be that Innova is trying to ruin the disc by producing it in crap blends and "secretly" pushing out +molds, some have ulterior motives like trying to limit themselves to specific molds or companies (like how my bag only has Discmania and MVP, with the JOKERi and FR Premium RESPECTi as utility disc exceptions), and so on and so on.

Why it gets referenced so often though is that it's one of the yardsticks. Everyone should know how a TeeBird flies just so that they can compare other discs to it. And personally I love it. If our course had more stuff in the 350' range I'd like to use a TeeBird. However as it stands I can either reach every hole with a putter or a mid or I have to go all out, so there really isn't anything for the TB to do. However I always recommend it to newer players, especially in DX, and have heard great feedback from them. It is still a great learner's disc, it can teach you a lot, and like I said, everyone should know how and learn how to throw a TeeBird, or at least an Eagle-X in DX.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby CatPredator » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:49 am

I still throw Teebirds but I didn't reply because the OP does not contain a very insightful question. TeeBirds behave exactly like you'd think they would in the different plastic blends. DX typically being the least overstable with the most glide, champs being the most overstable with the least glide, and Stars sitting between them.

Tons of people still throw them, but these boards are primarily populated by 20-30 dudes, and more specifically 5-10 really prominent posters, who like to throw new fancy plastic and ditched the TB a while ago in favor of other stuff. There's many options out there.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby slowarm » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:17 pm

I like TBs. My champ X-out is a freak and fights the wind without problems, Star TB is my workhorse. Not the longest fairway driver, but very accurate and predictable. I've had some 5-7 Star TBs and they've been all alike.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby warobert » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:27 pm

Teebirds are awesome. I use mine for all kinds of shots from 310 out to about 375, where I would rather throw a wraith. I carry a beefy champ one and a beat up star one that has a lot of the fade beat out of it.
Mark Ellis wrote:Myth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid.

Truth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid left-handed.
warobert
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: teebird

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:34 pm

I'll dig this up for fun, and because I would love to know how the new clear champ runs of Teebirds are coming out in terms of stability. My local shop had one that had considerable dome and was really transparent. Can anyone with experience here let me know what you've found with these clear Champ Teebirds?

I have a rotation of Teebirds in my bag. No matter how many molds I try, I keep coming back to these because of how reliable they are. PD's, Swords, and other discs in that category have not stayed in my bag this long. I've got a flat-ish blue opaque Champ TB with high PLH that has very minimal fade and almost no turn even into a light headwind, a red Champystar that has more dome and glides/fades a lot more, an old beat Star TB that turns from flat and fades late, and a beat DX Teebird that is an amazing low-power or hyzerflip disc.

The only thing I think I need with these is a Beast for more distance and a Quasar for strong headwinds and big forehands.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby CatPredator » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:48 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:I'll dig this up for fun, and because I would love to know how the new clear champ runs of Teebirds are coming out in terms of stability. My local shop had one that had considerable dome and was really transparent. Can anyone with experience here let me know what you've found with these clear Champ Teebirds?

From what I've observed they're quite overstable.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Postby bents » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:31 am

I've had a lot of consistency with my 12x champion teebirds. They barely wear; my oldest champion teebird is like a brand new star tl.

Also, it seems to me that pds with teebirds makes a good combo. Like, my drivers are all TLs, teebirds, and PDs, which are all similar, with varying stability. This way it's easy for me to know how the discs will behave, and they all feel about the same in my hand. It's already tricky to have to know how to throw midranges differently.

So I'm surprised when people say the success of the PD makes the teebirds less popular. What the dillyo.
Champion Teebird, Star TL, Buzzz, Wizard, Aviar
bents
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion teebird

Postby bents » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:42 am

Also the only dx teebird I've tried was way too flippy but that was a while ago and I had worse snap then. It was way under stable of a very beat star TL.

I recently got an order with a very clear champion teebird and a semiopaque one and I couldn't tell the difference between them in a field. I don't know if they're from different runs or not.

I once had a star teebird that I lost. It was a really flexible plastic which bothered me for some reason, and I had a lot if failure with it. Probably bad luck.
Champion Teebird, Star TL, Buzzz, Wizard, Aviar
bents
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion teebird

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:45 am

CatPredator wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:I'll dig this up for fun, and because I would love to know how the new clear champ runs of Teebirds are coming out in terms of stability. My local shop had one that had considerable dome and was really transparent. Can anyone with experience here let me know what you've found with these clear Champ Teebirds?

Gracias. And are you referring to the ones with normal dome? I heard a few came out flat.

bents wrote:So I'm surprised when people say the success of the PD makes the teebirds less popular.

My 2 cents, but it really doesn't have anything to do with the PD - Each player needs to decide what combination of drivers works best. I'm starting to pay less and less attention to all these new molds coming out. My local shop guy knows me and always asks me if I'm going to try out the latest molds. I usually respond with a kind "no" because I really don't need to learn a new mold when the one I've been using for a few years now is working excellently.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Stringbean » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:52 am

My 12x Champ Teebird is one of my favorite discs. I also have a 150 gram Champ Teebird, great glide with the same stability. It drifts in cross winds but it doesn't turnover (if that makes sense). I haven't thrown Star or DX Teebirds, although I have a Star coming in the mail.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby CatPredator » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:58 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:Gracias. And are you referring to the ones with normal dome?

Yep. Pretty domey, clear, and hard. They fade too hard and too soon for my liking.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:30 pm

CatPredator wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:Gracias. And are you referring to the ones with normal dome?

Yep. Pretty domey, clear, and hard. They fade too hard and too soon for my liking.

Sounds like they would work well in a headwind. I'll have to get my hands on a few.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby andrew » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:41 pm

12x Champion Teebirds are terrible discs. It is WAY preferable to spend $75+ on those awesome 11x Teebirds. Think about the importance of impressing your friends with your incredible wall decor! My advice is to leave those crappy new current production discs for those dumb enough to throw away $12.

(Quick lock this thread before it's too late and people start "discovering" 12x Teebirds!) :wink:
Wizards/Jokeri/Fuse/Buzzz/Gator/XLs/Teebirds/XXX/PDs

Disc Golf (n): A game in which a round plastic object is thrown into trees until it is beat in to resemble its preferred flight characteristics, at which point it is thrown into a lake.
andrew
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PPD

Postby tbird888 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:49 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:
CatPredator wrote:

Gracias. And are you referring to the ones with normal dome? I heard a few came out flat.

I specifically requested the flattest Totems the Factory Store had. They aren't super flat like the old 11Xs, but they're moderately domed. There is a stability difference between them and the domier ones (from a second order). They are less beefy as expected. For the record, I don't think I've thrown them further than 300'.
tbird888
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby chainsmoker » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:26 am

I like the echo star Teebirds because of a slightly bigger dome which produces more glide. The echo Star is also super durable and has more fade at the end so it's good in the slot above my champ Teebirds. I've seen some new champ Teebirds that have a really big dome but I didn't check the plh.
chainsmoker
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment