Rain grip issues (solution?)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Rain grip issues (solution?)

Postby JR » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:22 am

That sounds like usable performance and is about the lower limit for best use out of beeswax too. That kind of temperature extends the playing season in moderately tolerable performance significantly as long as i don't count wading in snow thus not being able to run properly as a a hindrance :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JHern » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:12 am

I don't believe any of the grip aids are illegal. The birdie bag is very popular in the swampy humid eastern USA coast region. There is a restriction on anything that could increase the lever arm of your body parts, but beyond that, use whatever it takes to get a grip!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:59 pm

There is the rule about not putting anything of detectable thickness on the disc. The birdie bag does not leave anything on the disc because it's not even in contact with the disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:01 pm

I put one of the FootWarmers inside a mitten and it was too hot indoors at 75 % power so in confined spaces it is plenty powerful but making the leads, mitten and battery water proof is too much of a hassle. It was so promising that i think i must construct some sort of compartment to my bag to hold a disc or a hand inside. That way it should be fast and safe enough to operate to Footwarmer without risking breaking it while having access to the buttons while not compromising waterproofing of the electronics.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:17 am

I put the FootWarmer inside a ZipLoc equivalent pouch with polyester wool for insulation and set the battery in the outside of the bag and put another pouch on top for rain insulation when it is needed. The wool encased the heater element and there was zero free air around it other than the one inside the wool. At 75 % power in 46F it was very warm and totally useful despite my dry skin so without rain in this temperature it is fine indeed. I was just able to shoehorn the setup into my Westside discs small bag side pocket. In this temperature after drying the disc and using an umbrella i should be able to warm the fingers enough for good grip but it is a hassle and the 30 second rule comes to play at times most likely. I can always add more insulation and use a larger bag to at least partially counter the dropping temperatures. The acid test for the current rig comes in colder weather and rain. For rains at this temperature i need to wait because i got cold today. But now i'm ready to declare at least a partial victory.

Another helping factor for this season beside using argan oil and more often than regular moistrurizers was buying a good 1 liter thermos bottle that is enough to keep me warmer for longer. It keeps the contents much hotter and much longer so the drink warms me up much better and having more hot liquid helps too except for output issues :-) And i was using water now instead of with a dash of cognac or brandy like in the previous two winters when i wasn't in competition.

I have to see if i could squeeze in a similar or the same setup of the FootWarmer into a jacket pocket. It seems to be too large without bending the leads to fit in any pocket i have now that is on the outside of the jacket. And inside pockets can't be used because opening up the jacket in colder weather is not possible with the temps we get here. I'd catch a cold or at least get too stiff and cold and miserable.
i can't predict below freezing operation but it sure has extended non real compromises playing season for me so it is definitely worth the price and effort for me. Staying a little warmer does not hurt either :-) I'm happy but cautiously so because i don't know just how far the benefits extend and i suspect i need to make a more insulated version for colder weather. Luckily i already own a thermal blanket so i have cheapo options available.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Technique