MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP Disc Sports - Official Thread

Postby keltik » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:59 am

so when can we expect to see the Volt on store shelves?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby discspeed » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:05 am

Neutron Axis and Vector will be in stores within two weeks. I'm pretty sure the Volt will come next, but one never knows...
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Mike C » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:51 am

Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby atom519 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:03 am

keltik wrote:so when can we expect to see the Volt on store shelves?

Saw this pop up on Google+ this morning.

atom519
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby keltik » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:09 am

I've been looking at this picture for a while now and I have to say that it reminds me of the Matrix.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:16 am

The nose seems to be quite thick. The wing profile seems interesting.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:29 pm

Reminds me of a Striker.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby discspeed » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:06 pm

That's a neutral looking profile for sure.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:03 pm

discspeed wrote:That's a neutral looking profile for sure.

Does it look any different from what you remember? I wonder if their new machines did anything to the way these came out vs. the batch that you tested.

Only one way to find out...wait till someone else buys some and writes a review :lol:
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Leopard » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:18 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:
discspeed wrote:That's a neutral looking profile for sure.

Does it look any different from what you remember? I wonder if their new machines did anything to the way these came out vs. the batch that you tested.

Only one way to find out...wait till someone else buys some and writes a review :lol:

The other way: I take my proto (the kind Mike threw) and hold it up to my production testers.

I'm pretty familiar with that proto, and the production ones aren't crazy dissimilar. The overmold match is more precise feeling, on the tactile level. Curvature of the wing is a little more unified-looking now than the proto. Basically it fits just a little nicer... not that the proto was bad by any means, but it's almost like that joining portion is polished off a little... it's very smooth.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Steve » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:18 am

I was thinking about the inner cores a little today and thought it would be interesting to know what the core weighs before the overmold is added. Are some lighter than others? Would this explain why people initially thought different colors flew different. MVP could be in a position to be an industry leader in defining disc weight at a new level. By having the core weight and the total weight marked on each disc you could fine tune your bag and each discs role on a whole new level. Have more gyroscopic discs for straight roles and less gyro for hooking shots for example. This might be necessary when selling discs made out of two separate plastics as we learn more about how they tick and how it affects the flight. I can't wait to hear what you guys think. Should MVP give this a try?
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby jubuttib » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:13 pm

The cores are intended to weigh the same, the weight of the resulting disc is tweaked by adjusting the weight of the overmold. The different colors flew differently because they molded up differently (mostly fixed in later runs when they got more used to the process for each disc), with clear PLH variations.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Wyno » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:52 pm

jubuttib wrote:The cores are intended to weigh the same, the weight of the resulting disc is tweaked by adjusting the weight of the overmold. The different colors flew differently because they molded up differently (mostly fixed in later runs when they got more used to the process for each disc), with clear PLH variations.

I think that's a bit outdated, IIRC they ended up having to make the cores in different weights as well.
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:59 pm

jubuttib wrote:The cores are intended to weigh the same, the weight of the resulting disc is tweaked by adjusting the weight of the overmold. The different colors flew differently because they molded up differently (mostly fixed in later runs when they got more used to the process for each disc), with clear PLH variations.

I think I get what Steve-o is saying.

What if you could order an MVP disc with a percentage of core to wing weight ratio? Not exact weights per se (but that could be an option), but rather a variant of their original core to wing ratio. If what they have now is 50/50 core to wing ratio (for reference only...I know their current ratio isn't 50/50), then 80/20 would be weighing the core 30% more and the wing 30% less. ex: 80/20 for a disc that turns and fades more, and 40/60 for a more gyroscopic effect (if in fact you believe in gyro :lol: ) and if anyone orders a 0/100, they could ship them an aerobie with a sharpie "MVP" marking on the wing.

Or is this way off the deep end and not probable?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Steve » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:50 pm

All that would have to change is them marking the core's weight before overmolding it. I hardly doubt that all the core pieces are exactly the same weight. It may even help them in the manufacturing process to have these pieces marked as they could fine tune the final disc weight by using lighter or heavier cores with lighter or heavier rim plastics. Plus it would allow you to pick out more precise backups if you know your favorite core/overall weight.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment