2012 Ace Race?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 2012 Ace Race?

Postby BIF13 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:27 pm

I think it flies like a more stable XL, just me though.
Z Nuke - Z Force - Z Surge - Z Avenger SS - Z Stalker - Z Wasp - Z Buzzz - ESP Meteor - ESP Comet - D Focus - D Magnet
BIF13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Nuke

Postby turso » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Did the yearly ace race today and really like the disc, might put it in my bag at least for now to compliment my mids.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby money 21 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:02 pm

i really like mine as well been throwing it alot.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Varsi » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:47 pm

This is probably an excellent disc for beginners as well to pair with a putter.
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby jubuttib » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:44 pm

Indeed, a pretty excellent disc. Easy to throw, can handle power, glides really well and can go quite far, nice stability, just overall a great disc. Can't really think of anything I really dislike about it.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby mzuleger » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:08 pm

BIF13 wrote:I think it flies like a more stable XL, just me though.

interesting... thought it was more like a less stable XL. Mine turns pretty easy, I guess sort of like an XL after some use but most new XLs I've thrown don't turn as easy as this. Not a horrible disc though... I've been comparing it's flight to my used dx eagle.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby iacas » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:16 am

money 21 wrote:played the ace race to day had a good time but am having a hard time with a description of the disc, a hornet ss maybe. thrown flat the disc will turn and come back late. power down and you cane throw it very straight with a late hard but forward penitrating fade with a lot of glide.

money 21 wrote:really liking this disc. it helps with form because you don't want to musle it and it doesn't fly well at all if your release is not clean. How ever if you get a smooth clean release this disc is amazing flies the line you tell it to and has just sick glide.

I agree with both of these.

I attended an Ace Race yesterday. The problem with the Ace Race that I attended was that it previously stuck to holes that were 180-220' long or whatever the guidelines state, but we played every hole between 100 and 180' or so. I threw pretty well all day but many of the players found it difficult to deliver a clean line while underpowering the disc enough.

I had a heck of a time (admittedly my form likely still sucks, but I didn't have a lot of wobble and mostly hit my lines within a reasonable margin) getting the disc to do anything but gently turn. I missed 95% of my throws just to the right and couldn't quite adjust my lines to start it left enough, particularly seeing how the discs reacted in the hands of people who were (stupidly, IMO) throwing them up on big hyzer lines through the trees. The five aces hit at my Race (two aces, one metal for the two who tied for first) were all similar to my throws - straight, little curve, and right at them with low height.

The downhill holes (we had two sharp downhill holes) were particularly difficult with this disc. The longer one topped out at about 140' and the shorter one was probably not even quite 100'.

The disc seems like a good mid or approach, or a good driver for shorter holes that put a good demand on accuracy or have a tunnel, but the holes we played (nine holes, played four times) didn't seem to suit the disc at my Ace Race, and that was mildly disappointing.
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby Codester101 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:24 am

I was surprised at how well this thing handled power, I was able to push it out to 350' with hardly any turn, just a nice straight flight. I wasn't getting it to turn at all at distances ~200 but this is probably because I'm at 5000 ft altitude. I don't think this is going to be able to stick in my bag, it's too close to my axis and stalker. There already is not a huge gap there.
Codester101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I can find.

Postby JHern » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:25 pm

money 21 wrote:just held it side by side with a squall and can't tell the difference.

Yep, I was just working with one of these, and I can also testify that it looks, feels, and flies like a Squall (note that Discraft molds the Squall for DGA). If there is a difference, I couldn't see it. Any differences in flight fell within the usual variation in flights from one plastic to another plastic for the same mold. As Discraft said, the Squall is a tad longer than a Buzzz because it will turn over a tick more and hold its angle through the glidey portion of the flight a bit longer, and is a tad slower than a Stalker. The Squall is better than either the Buzzz or Stalker for working various lines, it really shines in the hyzer-flip and turnover categories. Like the Buzzz, the Squall rim is very nice for gripping.

Note that I absolutely love the Squall, especially the SP (sparkle) Squall. But I'm not sure I understand why Discraft would begin marketing the same disc in their own line-up. I'll ask around and see what's up with that.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby money 21 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:41 pm

JHern wrote:
money 21 wrote:just held it side by side with a squall and can't tell the difference.

Yep, I was just working with one of these, and I can also testify that it looks, feels, and flies like a Squall (note that Discraft molds the Squall for DGA). If there is a difference, I couldn't see it. Any differences in flight fell within the usual variation in flights from one plastic to another plastic for the same mold. As Discraft said, the Squall is a tad longer than a Buzzz because it will turn over a tick more and hold its angle through the glidey portion of the flight a bit longer, and is a tad slower than a Stalker. The Squall is better than either the Buzzz or Stalker for working various lines, it really shines in the hyzer-flip and turnover categories. Like the Buzzz, the Squall rim is very nice for gripping.

Note that I absolutely love the Squall, especially the SP (sparkle) Squall. But I'm not sure I understand why Discraft would begin marketing the same disc in their own line-up. I'll ask around and see what's up with that.

as a big squall fan myself i agree almost all of what you said but IMO the ar12 has a bit more glide and is getting out about 10'-15' farther for me. the ar12 seems to have more dome so i bet they did just a little tweak like a nose spacer. Eveything else you stated i agree with. The squall is one of the most over looked disc on the market. picked up a couple new proline squalls the other day and the feel and look like the old opague z plastic that the storms came in as well as the first run flick. they have a touch more HSS and hold lines great.

Side note after the 2010 and 2012 ace races locally the used bins around the area were flooded with discs. this year i have yet to see one.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:41 pm

I don't have an extensive selection of Squalls to go through, but the AR12 discs are consistently more domey, and apart from the damaged ones (sunken domes) none of the ones I saw thrown or threw myself turned as easily as Squalls I've thrown turn. They have probably done something to them, which has added more HSS.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JHern » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:51 am

Discraft says that they are not the same as the Squall mold, but over all the reports from throwers are that they are either a tad more stable than a Squall, or they are a bit more flippy/squirrely. Still, it does seem to be a disc that competes with the Squall, which seems odd for Discraft to produce when they are already molding the Squall for DGA. And as others mentioned earlier in this thread, aiming for a disc that parses between the Buzzz and Stalker also seems odd.

Nevertheless, the Squall, Buzzz, Buzzz SS, Wasp, Hornet, Aftershock, etc., are really kick ass mid-ranges by any standard, regardless of who they are molded for...Discraft is killing the competition in this part of the market.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:29 am

While Innova has the Roc and the Coyote i have to agree that Discraft has a killer setup of mids and tweeners. It is sad that there are damaged ar12s around. If there is a longer more hss disc than the SP Squall it is kick ass. Now the problem is that there seems to be one already named the Stalker as others noted. Crazy overlap probably. I'd like to test out a good ar12 vs my lovely SP Squall and Z Stalker maybe even Glo Z and Ti Stalkers. But i need more info before venturing out because i don't feel getting an out of production or limited availability disc since the Coyote is quite nice for me.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby money 21 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:44 am

As i fondle the ar12 more i have noticed a micro bead on it. basicly felt it by running my finger nail on the under side of the rim. My squalls don't seem to have this any one else notice this.

JR i think this disc is as long as a stalker. In flight the disc reminds me of a Fresh (no tree Hits) x storm. slow turn slow forward fade and sneaky long. Discraft say between the buzz and stalker. I say between the z comet and x cyclone.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:58 am

everything I've read ITT makes it sound like they have brought back the Storm.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment