Loose Impediments

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Loose Impediments

Postby luma » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:17 am

Hi,
I played a fun round with a friend of mine today and he threw his disc into the woods. It came to rest just in front of a few loose pieces of wood (these typical 1m long and 3-5cm thick ones...). He asked if he was allowed to put that stuff away or not? I assumingly didn't know so I let him pu t it away....
Now coming home, I thought this might be in the rule book and I tried to find it and well...if i had found it i wouldnt ask. So are you allowed to put loose stuff away like in ball golf?

Thanks!
luma
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis all day long

Re: Loose Impediments

Postby mark12b » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:33 pm

Yes, if they are "broken branches no longer connected to a tree" -- see 803.05 B, "Casual Obstacles to a Stance"

http://www.pdga.com/rules/80305-obstacles-and-relief
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby luma » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:19 am

Damn, why didn't I find that in my rulebook....i think I should get some glasses...thank you anyway :-)
luma
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:13 am

Reading the name of the topic are we talking of dildos now? Ok granted some of them may be plastic and i certainly know a few members here that would throw them :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby turso » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:19 am

Or wear them on their forehead.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby JR » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:25 am

Judging by the actions of people vs the needs of them and the rest of the world most do wear lots of things on their foreheads many times.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby luma » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:25 am

Its easier to hole out (or in) a dildo than a disc for me these times :-)
luma
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:36 am

Imagine if we could throw balls. Now i made a joke in the first post but this time i mean honestly. Think of how easy it is to throw a tennis ball because everyone must have thrown snow balls or other balls a lot and the motions is second nature. And the grip is so much easier. Pitch putting is another matter vs an overhead or sidearm toss. Pitch putting is like pitching weights. At first i didn't get it because the weights i tried were too light. Take something that's a pound or two and make a bowling arm motion with it just with a shorter reach back and see what they mean. That feeling helped me a lot and somehow throwing a round bread that is a pound and a half thus larger in diameter and height than any putter filled my hand naturally and was easier to grip than any putter. Once i got that feeling with the loaf clicking the correct buttons in my head i found that my smashed up arm could take pitching tall putter much better and with more control than ever before. You just need that light bulb moment with everything and once you catch the drift it becomes easier. Just like learning to cycle it stays with you after you know what you need to do.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby iacas » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:16 am

JR wrote:Imagine if we could throw balls. Now i made a joke in the first post but this time i mean honestly. Think of how easy it is to throw a tennis ball because everyone must have thrown snow balls or other balls a lot and the motions is second nature.

I just finished listening to a computer-related podcast and one of the hosts was talking about the word "intuitive" and "instinctive." The thing is, a lot of long-time geeks think a LOT of things are "intuitive" when really what's happening is that they've built up a library of patterns and ideas and concepts that feels like intuition, but isn't.

I'd previously heard this kind of thing talked about with spies. If you're chasing someone and they leave you at a corner, is it "intuition" to know whether to go right or left, or is it an instantaneous assessment of the knowledge you have of the place, the guy you're chasing, his habits, human nature, the time of day, whether it's uphill or downhill (people tend to run downhill when trying to get away from something), etc.? It's typically the latter - not actually "intuition."

Have you seen some people throw things? There's a reason we say someone "throws like a girl." I coached my kid's softball team and after we stopped 1/3 of the girls from throwing right-handed by stepping forward with their RIGHT foot (ugh), we worked on reaching back and snapping the thumb to the ground, because most of them wanted to try to push the ball forward.

I'm not sure throwing is all that intuitive either. And 99.9% of 25-year-old males still can't throw a ball well enough to compete at even a good high school baseball team (as a pitcher).

So while I agree the basic motion might be easily learned, I'm not so sure it's quite as "easy" as you want to make it out to be. I've had more experience in baseball, but I'd put the baseball motion and the disc golf motion at almost the same level, with baseball being perhaps slightly easier (though not necessarily easier than putting in DG). Just remember to compare even levels: professional baseball (say, AA level) is like your lower tier pros (I'm guessing but maybe 990-rated players? - total guess).

And... I just realized I probably typed a bunch of off-topic crap, so kindly ignore me if you'd like. :)
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby JR » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:47 am

Of course Tim Lincecum i think the spelling is and other pros are head and shoulders above regular throwers just like top disc golfers outdistance over 99 % of the players. I saw you playing devils advocate on this in the other thread but really 500' and above is a very small club in among over one million disc golfers world wide so i feel safe in throwing that number. The difference between getting how to do a complex motion series is very different to perfecting it because most likely you are missing over half of the keys of doing it efficiently like a pro. Even after getting the efficiency most would lose out to pros in physical prowess. Yes there are studs in disc golf.

In an episode of Sports Science Lucija Rijker a multiple women's boxing champion hit a pressure plate harder than an equally heavy male Olympic boxer. But it was obivous she had better form and used a lot more of her body rotation and a longer arm swing. She said that women punching like a coordinated athlete (requires form and physique training) aren't losing to men or some such idea. So much for hitting like a girl or throwing for that matter.

I talked to a young lady at a local course this summer and she said it was her third time throwing. She was warming up sidearm nose up too high stalling with at least 5 degree hyzers to 250' with high apexes. I told her that it is obvious that she has done other sports activities before not just judging by her obvious strength but also coordination. She liked the compliment especially after i told her how far the top Finnish female players throw. It was very complimentary for her. She's a beast and i sure hope she practices and gains control because Finland would gain an instant star. I think she'd push 300' certainly and possibly even 330' with optimal discs after cleaning out nose and hyzer angle issues and being able to put all of she has behind a drive in the next season. Who knows about BH. Europe needs a bomber like that to even partially counter what Paige and Catrina are doing now and you can't forget Val and Des etc. All of them have an edge to European females and it shows in the President's Cup. Now more than ever that Paige and Cat jumped up hugely in the D department. This girl is probably way stronger than any US female disc golfer. At least she's much more muscular.

How's that for off topic? :-D
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby iacas » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:16 am

JR wrote:How's that for off topic? :-D

Not too shabby. :)

I had my wife take lessons (golf) from the guy with whom I work (Dave Wedzik) and the first thing he told her was that she was clearly "athletic." So that line works at sucking up to even Finnish women, too, I see. :) :D :)

iacas
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:39 am

I was deadly serious because it is the truth and she knows it there's no doubt. It can't be too bad to get recognized for her obviously laborious path up to that point. She was in a group of two girls and two guys so i imagine two couples. I wasn't trying to chat her up because of i realize the need to increase the female participation to this great sport. And i try to promote that and humping a girls leg ain't gonna help boyfriend or not i think. Or perhaps the right dude in her opinion but really would you risk with an athlete in the company of probably her boyfriend and their friends? That sounds suicidal on top of stupid and unethical.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby veganray » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:41 am

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby iacas » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:15 pm

JR wrote:I was deadly serious because it is the truth and she knows it there's no doubt.

Might be the language barrier or the fact that this is text... I was ribbing you a little bit, that's all. If she could throw that far she had some athleticism and so on (as my wife does too, though not nearly that much!).

So... yeah. Just teasing you man. :)

iacas
Tree Magnet

Postby luma » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:51 pm

I'm sorry but i would like to get this on topic just for one reply if possible :wink:

Ive just signed up for my first C-Tier German tour event (yeeeeeha I will be last by 100 strokes :D ) and so I have one more question to sth that happens to me sometimes. As i try to be loose on my practice swings or throws or whatever, sometimes my fingers are a bit too loose and the disc goes out of my hand during those practice motions before the throw. It just hours a few yards, mostly straight behind me and away from the basket.

Is that a stroke,a penalty, just being dumb and counting as no stroke?

Thanks guys
luma
Noob

Next

Return to Rules Discussion