MVP's new driver -- Volt

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: MVP's new driver -- Volt

Postby Roottori » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:48 am

How would Volt work as distance driver for 350' thrower?
Roottori
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:07 pm

I just tested the hell out of my Volts at a local course with a buddy of mine. It is a fairly short course with a multitude of straightish shots 300'-390'.

This disc is unbelievably awesome. My friend is now wondering how to get one in his bag before his next tournament (I told him I'd sell him my seed before he got one of my Volts away from me)...Everything we tried with the disc worked. It's the most controllable and versatile driver I've ever thrown. Hyzers, straight shots, all sorts of S turns, and annies are all easy at variable distances with the Volt. Wind was gusting to 10mph or so, but it only really affected the Volt on shots over 350'. It has the range of like a Valk, but yet can be powered down VERY easily to fly at fairway distances. I was throwing it very well FH too...Another interesting note is that the overmold really kills any skip...I had some 300' or so shots where I was coming in hot but still stuck near the basket. It's not nose angle sensitive either. I let quite a few other people throw it at the course today and it was universally acclaimed.

This disc is going to take over my shot selection perhaps like no other single disc I've ever added. This may be ambitious, but currently my driver selection is going like this: Volt, Villain, Mamba, Sword. The Volt does everything you could want between mids and true D drivers (as long as you have something more HSS for wind).

Feel free to post this and make fun of me later if I'm wrong, but I think the Volt is going to be a real break out disc for MVP and shatter all expectations. I've never had a disc anything like this and I don't remember the last time I was this excited about throwing.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:09 pm

dgdave wrote:Even after ZJ's review, still not jonesing to toss one

If I were next to you I'd slap you across the face and check your pulse.

This is the most unusual disc I've tried in a lot of different ways, both in form and flight. Get one and trade it to me if it doesn't make you straight up giddy the first time you take it out.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Roottori wrote:How would Volt work as distance driver for 350' thrower?

It will be a nice long stable driver...I recommend the ones around 170g as that is my favorite one to use at shorter distances/responds better to less snap.
discspeed

Postby Monocacy » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:33 pm

Firstly, thanks to discspeed, zj, and MikeC for the detailed reviews

discspeed wrote:. . . It has the range of like a Valk, but yet can be powered down VERY easily to fly at fairway distances.

Does MVP realize how many creaky old farts like myself throw 150 Valks? I seriously think they are missing out on an ever-growing market by not offering lighter discs. Yes, I understand that light weight works against gyro.

To beat a (probably) dead horse further - the lightest Ions and Anodes disappear from all of the online stores within the first few days. Clearly, MVP would sell more light putters if they made them.

And don't get me started on the lack of ~165 midranges from MVP.

/rant
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Wyno » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:35 pm

^^ Truth ^^
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:51 pm

I told MVP this summer on my visit that imo after getting the Volt out producing lighter weights is the most important thing they could do....I know it will make a HUGE difference. I grabbed the lightest N Axis and N Vectors I could get at the store (173-174 Vectors and 175-176 Axis) and even though they are only a couple grams less than what I was throwing I notice the difference at the end of the flight. My lightest Volt is a great disc as well, exhibiting a lot of HSS and minimal LSS compared to my others. It is also the best powered down.

So yeah, lighter MVP discs will make it easier for more players to benefit from the weight distribution.
discspeed

Postby Rogue9 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:01 pm

seems like a more gyroscopic light weight disc would help that disc behave more like a "normal" weight disc, no? I have a 171 P Axis and love it. But then, I only have 300ft of power too.
Rogue9
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Axis

Postby Roottori » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:13 pm

discspeed wrote:It will be a nice long stable driver...I recommend the ones around 170g as that is my favorite one to use at shorter distances/responds better to less snap.

Thanks. In addition, if you don't mind, I'd like to know whether the Volt overlaps with my Eagle X's or not? If Volts are something like speed 8,5, it would be only 1,5 steps up in speed... But do they offer more enough distance compared to Eagle's to justify having both of them in the bag?
Roottori
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:36 pm

Rogue9 wrote:seems like a more gyroscopic light weight disc would help that disc behave more like a "normal" weight disc, no? I have a 171 P Axis and love it. But then, I only have 300ft of power too.

I think that's a sound hypothesis. Heavy MVP discs with heavy overmolds take some oomph to get up to the speed where the gyro is noticeable, otherwise they just fly heavy. I think lighter discs would allow more people to get the overmolds up to cruising speed where the discs start to glide.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:40 pm

Roottori wrote:
discspeed wrote:It will be a nice long stable driver...I recommend the ones around 170g as that is my favorite one to use at shorter distances/responds better to less snap.

Thanks. In addition, if you don't mind, I'd like to know whether the Volt overlaps with my Eagle X's or not? If Volts are something like speed 8,5, it would be only 1,5 steps up in speed... But do they offer more enough distance compared to Eagle's to justify having both of them in the bag?

I've had an EX in the bag here and there over the years, but I've never really been an Eagle man enough to know the nuances of a minimalistic Eagle setup. The Volt is certainly more effortless than any EX, so it will go farther with the same effort. The Volt is like most the Star/domey Champ EXs I've thrown that do actually have a little turn out of the box. The Volt hyzers like an EX...pushes up to flat but not over and then has a nice forward fade.
discspeed

Postby Fightingthetide » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:42 pm

discspeed wrote:I told MVP this summer on my visit that imo after getting the Volt out producing lighter weights is the most important thing they could do....I know it will make a HUGE difference. I grabbed the lightest N Axis and N Vectors I could get at the store (173-174 Vectors and 175-176 Axis) and even though they are only a couple grams less than what I was throwing I notice the difference at the end of the flight. My lightest Volt is a great disc as well, exhibiting a lot of HSS and minimal LSS compared to my others. It is also the best powered down.

So yeah, lighter MVP discs will make it easier for more players to benefit from the weight distribution.

Are there certain weights and/or colors that are coming out with more or less dome than others?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:45 pm

I have too small a sample size to say...I haven't even compared two discs of the same color. All the domes are pretty moderate...Nothing totally flat, nothing poppy topped.
discspeed

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:04 pm

discspeed wrote:
This disc is unbelievably awesome. My friend is now wondering how to get one in his bag before his next tournament (I told him I'd sell him my seed before he got one of my Volts away from me)...Everything we tried with the disc worked. It's the most controllable and versatile driver I've ever thrown.

Never heard you say that about an MVP disc release before :lol:
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby jubuttib » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:30 am

Jeronimo wrote:
discspeed wrote:This disc is unbelievably awesome. My friend is now wondering how to get one in his bag before his next tournament (I told him I'd sell him my seed before he got one of my Volts away from me)...Everything we tried with the disc worked. It's the most controllable and versatile driver I've ever thrown.
Never heard you say that about an MVP disc release before :lol:
Exactly.
discspeed wrote:I've never had a disc anything like this and I don't remember the last time I was this excited about throwing.
I can, it was the last time MVP released a new disc/plastic. Before that it was the previous time they released a new disc/plastic. =)

But knowing you like it sounds good, because so far we've liked the same discs, and those pink and blue Volts are just so purrty.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment