Overstable driver with lots of glide for sidearm thrower?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Overstable driver with lots of glide for sidearm thrower?

Postby northdiscgolf » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:41 am

I have played discgolf for about a year and quite recently started throwing forehand which give me more lenght on my drives.

The problem is that most discs flips over. The only disc I have which never flips over is Discsport Flick. I sometimes use Innova Boss which I can throw a bit longer but I find it unpredictable and if I throw it flat it will definitley flip.

So I want a stable disc like Flick but something that have more glide and goes a little longer. Any tips?

I usually throw the Flick about 80 meters (260 feet) and the Boss (if it doesn't flip) around 100 meters (330 feet).
northdiscgolf
Noob

Re: Overstable driver with lots of glide for sidearm thrower

Postby JR » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:41 am

Welcome. How far north are you from? Pretty cool already in southern Finland where i'm at now. I assume you like a disc that is overstable in the early part of the flight and the fade is not so important because not fading a lot adds distance. And you probably want a disc that doesn't flip. In part those are contradictory requirements and the best remedy would be to clean up your throwing form so that you could use less fading discs that won't flip when thrown purely but definitely will with an unclean release. If you have a moderately clean form that is consistent you can use less fading but flipping discs started with a hyzer. You can also throw lighter versions of the Boss or the Flick. Are there any grip preferences? The Flick is easy to grip thanks to the flat profile and the Boss is the opposite. Discs vary from plastic to plastic too so which plastic is your Boss? There are some more overstable champion Bosses than the regulars but good luck finding them. Z Nuke may not be non flipping for you but it fades a hair less than the Boss if it's not a Blizzard and getting one that is domey and with a high outer edge should be less flipping than the rest of the Nukes. There are other options but i'd like to hear more about your current discs.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby schook » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:50 am

You may need to work on your technique some more. I have always thought that needing a more stable disc for sidearms was a myth. I can throw all my drivers either backhand or sidearm just fine. No need to go to a more stable / over stable driver.

However my distance sidearm disc is a pro Wraith for all out distance, for more controlled distance a star SL.
or if you like Discraft I found the Surge worked well for me too.
schook
Noob

Favorite Disc: starfire / SL

Postby money 21 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:53 pm

boatman all the way.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby JR » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:54 am

schook wrote:You may need to work on your technique some more. I have always thought that needing a more stable disc for sidearms was a myth. I can throw all my drivers either backhand or sidearm just fine. No need to go to a more stable / over stable driver.

However my distance sidearm disc is a pro Wraith for all out distance, for more controlled distance a star SL.
or if you like Discraft I found the Surge worked well for me too.

Not everyone has enough wrist snap and grip power to pull that off. Even good sidearmers tend to produce less revs on the disc and even if you can't see differences
in calm weather you sure can in the wind. Headwinds especially. Some don't reach back fully BH so the speed may be not as high as it could be BH so that may distort the comparison too. Some are more powerful FH vs BH and vice versa.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby warobert » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:16 pm

Champion Xcal with some dome is crazy beefy and will still have a lot of glide. It won't be so good into the wind, as the xcal mold is speed stable, but at your power it should not flip very much even with some wind. with no wind, if you flip it you are torquing it.
Mark Ellis wrote:Myth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid.

Truth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid left-handed.
warobert
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: teebird

Postby Booter » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:26 pm

giant
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Mark Ellis » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:01 am

northdiscgolf wrote:I have played discgolf for about a year and quite recently started throwing forehand which give me more lenght on my drives.

The problem is that most discs flips over. The only disc I have which never flips over is Discsport Flick. I sometimes use Innova Boss which I can throw a bit longer but I find it unpredictable and if I throw it flat it will definitley flip.

So I want a stable disc like Flick but something that have more glide and goes a little longer. Any tips?

I usually throw the Flick about 80 meters (260 feet) and the Boss (if it doesn't flip) around 100 meters (330 feet).

Gotta love that Discsport company. :lol: They make good stuff.

Overstable and maximum glide are sort of opposites. Overstability limits glide by its nature. As soon as an overstable disc starts to slow down it hyzers sharply into the ground. Of course the more overstable the disc, the sooner it hyzers out. So what you (and all the rest of us too) are searching for is that compromise where a disc is overstable enough for our needs (won't flip over or will fight headwind or will hyzer hard at the finish) but still goes a long way. Since we are all different: form, power, flutter, etc., the perfect compromise disc will be different for each of us.

You are flipping Bosses (which few players do) so you have some combination of power and flutter and anhyzer release angle causing that. Over time you will likely become a smoother, flatter thrower which will relieve this issue. But for now you want to find a wide rimmed disc (the wider the rim the farther the glide potential) with similar overstability to a Flick. The answer? Discraft Z Force.

But what if you need to throw a long hole into a screaming headwind? Now you need to pump up the overstability: turn to a Discraft Z Nuke OS. A Nuke OS is stronger and than a Flick and should handle your form and power without problem.

Eventually as you get smoother and release flatter your distance will improve and a Nuke in either Z or ESP may become your go-to driver. At the present a Nuke may flip over too easily for you but if you start practicing with one now it will, by trial and error, teach you the form for better distance with control.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby slowarm » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:56 am

PD2 is one option if you just want to throw the way you're throwing.

(Re-)evaluating your form is another (and better) option.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby jubuttib » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:44 am

Mark Ellis wrote:Overstable and maximum glide are sort of opposites. Overstability limits glide by its nature. As soon as an overstable disc starts to slow down it hyzers sharply into the ground. Of course the more overstable the disc, the sooner it hyzers out. So what you (and all the rest of us too) are searching for is that compromise where a disc is overstable enough for our needs (won't flip over or will fight headwind or will hyzer hard at the finish) but still goes a long way. Since we are all different: form, power, flutter, etc., the perfect compromise disc will be different for each of us.
So what you're looking isn't an overstable disc at all, but a truly neutral one. One which doesn't like to turn over or fade. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:02 pm

That was what i was thinking and i'm always on the lookout for maximum HSS disc with minimum LSS. No wonder i like Leopards, Rivers and Beasts. I heard that Volts FH well.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby keltik » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Boatman or Z avenger or Eagle-X
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:34 pm

My TP Boatman flips even BH so it really does not like my less than perfect FH form. Individual discs vary so much that maybe some other TPs would work. I haven't thrown VIPs so i don't know how much more resistant to turning they are. FWIW i've thrown mine very little and only in mild to moderate winds.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby keltik » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:48 pm

well my TP Boatman is a hoss.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:22 am

How far do you throw it? The manufacturer is famous for producing wildly differently shaped discs.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Next

Return to Equipment