changing your putter

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

changing your putter

Postby money 21 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:18 am

how often do you change the putter you putt with. Not molds but the actual disc?
Last edited by money 21 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Re: changeing your putter

Postby dgdave » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:24 am

If I'm not messing around with stuff, about 1.5 to 2 years. That becomes a driving putter andni put in a fresh one b
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby mikes919 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:21 am

Same. I carry three wizards, all in different states of wear. The freshest one is for drives/upshots, and the other two are for putting. I'll switch back and forth between the most beat one and the one in the middle depending on what feels best that day, but they fly pretty much the same for putts. It takes around 2 years for me to kick one out and put a fresh one in.
Flash - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Gator - Buzzz - Wizard
mikes919
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Leopard

Postby victorb » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:38 am

I used the same challenger for putting for about a full season, then rotated. I just like to break in new putters every now and again. Been on challengers for almost 3 years now, and working on breaking in my 3rd set of putters (that's just a me thing - I like to have a matching set of putters to carry around in my bag)

Only bad thing is the first ones still haven't gotten flippy enough to use as a real understable putter, so I carry a summit for the super beat/flippy putter slot. If I had stuck with the first set for the last few years, they might be beat enough to use for those shots.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby BLURR » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:39 am

I usually buy three to four brand new matching putters in January every year and use those as my putters for the year. The previous years putters usually get rotated into the short drive and approach category after that...provided I haven't lost all of them or sold some of them.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:23 pm

I hate to be "that guy" but you should consider changing the way you spell changing...As for the question, it depends, if it's a mold like the Wizard that starts off fairly overstable I will putt with it FOREVER, but if it's a Magnet or a similar mold I'd give it 6 months to a year tops, after that they are just too sketchy in the wind.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: changing your putter

Postby money 21 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:08 am

fixed sorry. I am putting with magnet so I am going to have to get a rotation going.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Ryen91 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:55 am

my magnet is beat up like horribly and I wont change it at all Ive made really good puts with it and it is my trusty companion until it gets broken in half im keeping it
Ryen91
Noob

Favorite Disc: Tee Rex

Postby discspeed » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:42 am

Since I've been using MVP putters the one I'm putting with almost always ends up being one of my favorite to drive and approach with, so I've lost a couple before they got beat anywhere near enough for me to start a rotation. Right now I've got 4 soft Anodes(2 normal flats/2 domey eclipse) that I putt/approach/drive with and I can switch around and putt the same with any of them. I think it helps me focus on my basic mechanics when I'm not throwing the exact same disc all of the time. Also, if I get superstitious I can just switch to one of the other ones.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby gknmnstr » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:21 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-FF-0Dwydk
The blue pure in this video is the same one I have been using for 2 1/2 years. That is about 3 months less than I have been disc golfing and I don't think I will ever change it out.
Pure-Fuse-River-Halo
gknmnstr
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FUSE/RIVER

Postby gknmnstr » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:22 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-FF-0Dwydk
The blue pure in this video is the same one I have been using for 2 1/2 years. That is about 3 months less than I have been disc golfing and I don't think I will ever change it out.
Pure-Fuse-River-Halo
gknmnstr
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FUSE/RIVER

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:12 am

I putt with my main putter until it gets really beat up and then I switch it to the jump putt/approach disc and rotate in another putter from my stack I practice with in the back yard.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Mark Ellis » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:04 am

A putter in my bag gets a very short leash, more so than any other disc. It stays in the starting line up for as long as it performs.

Back in the day when my putting sucked at historical proportions I was known to finish a round and throw my putter into the middle of a lake. Logically I knew where the real blame rested (the incompetent fool throwing the putts obviously) but I needed to purge my head of the recent horrors and the putter was sacrificed. I disposed of some really fine putters this way. Some from the great runs of pink Magnets with custom Lizard stamps.

Now that the years and hundreds of hours of putting practice have made me a good putter (and I know I will never be great but I am immensely thankful for merely good) my current putter has been in my bag for almost 2 years. It looks like it has been in the wars for a decade and many players have asked me how old it is. My current putter has only been yanked from the starting line up once and was returned within a day.

When and if the current putter loses its status I have several contenders already chosen as possible replacements, complete with grip stamps which has become an essential attribute.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby money 21 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:12 pm

you putt with magnet right Mark? i switched to the magnet earlier this summer and love the mold but my favorite looks like it came out the back end of a pittbull. so i am starting a rotation.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:50 am

money 21 wrote:you putt with magnet right Mark? i switched to the magnet earlier this summer and love the mold but my favorite looks like it came out the back end of a pittbull. so i am starting a rotation.

The Magnet is my primary putter but I use a Rattler for straddles, lofts and anhyzer putts (and most short upshots/controlled runs). With practice I have learned that in my hands a Rattler works best for these duties. The Magnet handles most putting duties because it has earned that spot by performing in tournaments, the critical test.

All putters will warp with enough use and I like them better this way. The top of my main Rattler looks like a moon crater. My main Magnet has an obvious thumb indentation. Nicks and gouges on the rim are not flaws but badges of honor. Putters get better with age until eventually the flight plate becomes too concave to fit in the hand properly but that takes years. And at some point a putter will beat up enough that it won't fight wind well enough so a new overstable putter will be added to the bag for that duty. For now on very windy days I add a Banger GT for headwind putts and upshots.

I'm not sure how many other players do this but I have a couple Soft Magnets for longer upshots (one beat, one fresh) while my main putter is a Hard Magnet. I segregate the duties of these discs so I almost never putt with the Soft Magnets or upshoot with the Hard Magnet.

I play warm up catch with both a Rattler and a Soft Magnet. A Hard Magnet is too punishing to fingers to play catch with especially in cold conditions. Originally a Soft Magnet found a spot in the bag just for catch then I found it so good for longer upshots it gained that duty as well.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Next

Return to Equipment