compartmentalizing types of drives

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

compartmentalizing types of drives

Postby Codester101 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:14 am

I have been quite puzzled for the last while, OAT has been less creeping into my form and more running at it with a chainsaw screaming bloody murder. This has only been affecting my drives with drivers, my Ppds, strikers etc have been flipping right over. On the other side of things I can still throw my mids with full power just fine. My fuse has just a slight turn to flat (330'), and my axis is dead straight to 300+ feet. Next time I get a chance to get out I will imagine I'm throwing a mid when I throw my fairways. Has anyone else had this issue?
Codester101
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I can find.

Re: compartmentalizing types of drives

Postby itlnstln » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:08 am

You might be trying too hard to throw with drivers since you are probably looking for distance more so than mids or putters. I do the same thing from time to time, and the culprit is me trying to "pound-the-hammer" too hard resulting in my shouders finishing lower than the plane I was trying to throw on. Slowing down a little and focusing on the finish help me.
itlnstln
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:42 am

I haven't suffered from that when i'm off i'm off with each disc. This is late in the season have you played a lot lately and are you fatigued? You may need to tighten the wrist a lot just when you start to chop the elbow to eliminate the wrist rolls. I pound out every type of disc up to 100 % power do you limit power with the mids? Do you get OAT from some other reason than wrist rolls? Do you get OAT if you throw drivers at 80 % power? Do you use different grips for drivers than mids? It may be a finger sticking/scraping issue too or some other grip issue.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby mikes919 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:17 am

itlnstln wrote:You might be trying too hard to throw with drivers since you are probably looking for distance more so than mids or putters. I do the same thing from time to time, and the culprit is me trying to "pound-the-hammer" too hard resulting in my shouders finishing lower than the plane I was trying to throw on. Slowing down a little and focusing on the finish help me.

This is usually the culprit if I'm turning over drivers. There's a tendency to really rip drivers (even fairways) and really tighten up halfway through the pull. I just remind myself to stay loose and fluid, to throw easy, and to focus on the snap at the end instead of trying to drive power into the disc the whole way.
Flash - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Gator - Buzzz - Wizard
mikes919
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Leopard

Return to Technique