Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Postby brittwink » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:13 am

I'm looking for a disc that has a similar flight pattern as a Valk, but with a bit more speed and maybe a little more glide. I love the lines I can do with my Valkyrie, and I love its predictability, but I'm ready for something that I can throw a but further. I'm considering either a Flow or an Astra, so I was wondering if anyone has thrown these discs, and how they feel about them. Any other suggestions are more than welcome.
brittwink
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis

Re: Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Postby discspeed » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:00 am

Beast, Westside Northman, Flash, Millennium plastic Astra, OLS
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby discmonkey42 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:57 am

I'd second the OLS recommendation, just in base or Sirius plastic, though. The Q doesn't seem to glide as well.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:49 am

I've had folks tell me that the blizzard Dominators are like Valks...never tossed one myself
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:57 am

Northman most def.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby money 21 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:03 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Northman most def.

x3 on Northman.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby JR » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:13 am

Hmm my Northmen are just short of my Valk throws so mileages seems to vary. The Beast does not fade as much as the Flow.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby mikes919 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:25 am

First thing that comes to mind for me is an SL or an OLS.
Flash - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Gator - Buzzz - Wizard
mikes919
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Leopard

Postby brittwink » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:52 am

I do own an OLS, but I'm not a huge fan. I know it's versatile, but I just can't rip it as well as I can my Valk or other similar discs. I've also heard archon and a few others have said beast as well. I owned a beast several months ago, but I was not able to master it (maybe because I couldn't throw nearly as well as I can now after practice). Maybe it was because it was a max weight champ, but I just never really got the the hang of it. I've been wanting to try a Westside disc or two, so I'll definitely have to check out the Northman. As for blizzard discs... I own a blizzard krait, and I hate it. Light discs just don't work for me in my location (it's pretty windy in Texas). I'm even shying away form 150-160 discs, which is why I'm looking to add a heavier Valkyrie-like disc to my bag.
brittwink
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:57 am

I was baffled as to why people said that the Northman would fit the bill because it is shorter for me than the Valk so i'd loan one before buying one. Your distance is borderline for Beasts though so i'd definitely look at mid 160s Pro. I'm not a fan of the Archon. It is flippy but fades too early even for a 400'+ thrower.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby brittwink » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:13 am

JR wrote:I was baffled as to why people said that the Northman would fit the bill because it is shorter for me than the Valk so i'd loan one before buying one. Your distance is borderline for Beasts though so i'd definitely look at mid 160s Pro. I'm not a fan of the Archon. It is flippy but fades too early even for a 400'+ thrower.

Yeah I checked a few flight charts after looking at the recommendations, and the Northman is a little more stable than a Valkyrie, and about a fast. The Archon is described as a longer Valk, but if it has that much fade I'm loath to go out and buy one just to be disappointed with the flight pattern. I might end up going a tad more stable, as long as I can still do my anny lines and flex shots. I might try giving a beast another shot then.
brittwink
Noob

Postby discspeed » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:23 am

JR wrote:I was baffled as to why people said that the Northman would fit the bill because it is shorter for me than the Valk so i'd loan one before buying one. Your distance is borderline for Beasts though so i'd definitely look at mid 160s Pro. I'm not a fan of the Archon. It is flippy but fades too early even for a 400'+ thrower.

The Northmans I've thrown were quite domey and definitely a little longer for me than a Valk on a line drive golf line. For me the Northman seems a little faster and glides a little more. The Valk has a better stability for max D (it fades later).
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby JR » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:31 am

At mid 160s it is much easier to anny than at 175 but since you're in TX Pro might get too mushy in the summer heat especially left in the trunk. Champs and Stars are quite similar to the Pro to the point of not of flying differently weight for weight from what i've seen. I have not thrown a Mamba but it is fast and turns. A Star Sidewinder flips easily and fading less than the Beast and the Valk it outdistances the Valk too and goes right easier thanks to less high speed stability and lower speed and power requirement. That might be the safest bet actually for the thread title at you power. The Beast is a usable left curve disc at 250'. At 350' it can be thrown anny and move to the right but it needs a hard rip for you to maintain mild annies. So it may not be the best for small increment sideways placement. It is more left, s-curve and hard right disc. The Sidewinder is easier to move to the right in small increments at your power.

Discspeed i picked up the domiest examples i could find from the initial release batch. I think the added glide is still not worth the added drag slowing them down. Northmen of tall domes are virtually as long as the Valks so they are total overlap discs for me. And later Northmen i've seen and bought have more moderate domes but they still fall just shy of Valks for me.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:08 pm

JR your disc experiences are always way different than everyone else. what up with that?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby money 21 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:49 pm

for me the VIP Northman flies very similar to a champ valk. just a touch faster and with better glide the more dome the better on the Northman (might be the only disc I would say that about).
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Next

Return to Equipment