Roottori's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Roottori's Bag

Postby JR » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Those are all well tested discs that have stood the test of time. The bad looks solid if you have worn at least one putter and mid to be easily thrown to the right turning naturally and holding the anhyzer long.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Roottori » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:42 am

Yeah, I have one trashed Roc that is easy to throw on left to right lines. Understable putter thing is in progress, I'm trying to beat up that DX Aviar I have in my bag. I've played quite a few one disc rounds with and I throw almost all of my upshots and jump putts with it, but it still doesn't show any high speed turn. Maybe I should hit more trees... :? :D
Roottori
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:53 am

No need much of the time because you can release anhyzer and the DX Aviar is good for those.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Roottori » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm

That's true, and that's what I usually do. Some lines do need or are better thrown with understable disc, though, and understable putter is a thing of beauty, so I'll keep on working on that DX Aviar. Once DX Aviar begins to have some high speed turn, KC Aviar will propably take care of most of my upshots and DX comes out of the bag when some turn is needed.
Roottori
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:04 am

That will happen eventually and those discs complement each other nicely.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Roottori » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:55 pm

Aargh, I'm beginning to become little frustrated with my distance drivers. Aviars, Rocs, Eagles and Preds have earned permanent spots in my bag, they are all really versatile and reliable discs, but I still haven't found a distance driver I really like. Beasts are fine in calm conditions and I can hyzer flip the crap out of them, but in wind they get little bit unpredictable because they do turn but their fade is relatively small. So, is there a driver in the same speed class that is a bit more overstable than Beast and then beats to straight-ish and eventually understable? And preferably it would be available in Pro/X plastic because I like the grip and the way they glide. If I stepped up in speed I could throw Wraith, but I think it is a little bit too fast for me at the moment, so I would rather stick to speed 10 driver.
Roottori
Noob

Roottori's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:55 pm

If Pro SL's are still run as SL's and not Starfires, I bet you could get a lineup of two or three SL's (Pro and Star) to fit the bill.

I've been thinking of this lineup for my bag too. I'm curious to hear what you end up with.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Roottori » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:35 am

If I just knew which mold it is nowadays... At Innova's web-page they have SL available in Pro plastic, but Starfire is also available in Pro. And every online retailer I've checked is selling Pro Starfires but not Pro SL's. So try to figure this out... I think I'll ask my go-to retailer if they know anything about it.

Do you know anything about the Orc? According to Innova it could be a step-up from Beast but I don't really trust those flight-ratings...
Roottori
Noob

Roottori's Bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:14 am

Yeah Orcs could work, but it would take some time to break one in to understable, unless you get a Pro Orc.

At that speed, I would think Orc, OLF, SL, etc would all eventually work for you once you get a rotation.

You already know what range of at stabilities you want, so find a mold that works for the most stable slot at that range and start beating it in. Keep your beasts around until the first one needs to be replaced. Or you could buy a pro version of the same disc to jump start the rotation process.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:04 pm

Orcs vary a lot and i don't think they make the straight ones any more. Pro type plastic makes things harder because TDs don't come in that and neither do Flows. So i'd go with the shorter Sirius Orion from Millennium because it is driver Pro. So the slickest, hardest and most durable pro blend that is really more like Star. See if you like one in 175 grip wise. If not i'm afraid you have a decision to make. Either you use a harder slicker plastic or base line plastics that will either break into not wind beating fast or start out very overstable. The SOLF is not the hardest fading disc but it is a very durable disc so it takes a long time to break in. Haven't all Pro SLs been Starfires for a few years? Pro Orc flips when new and it breaks in faster than anything in Pro. You'd have to go to DX especially Valk to get a disc that breaks in faster. When Vibram Lace hits the stores it is at least rubber so the grip might be there. I haven't followed it enough to know how it flies but some protos flipped so i'm afraid it can't handle headwinds.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Roottori » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:59 pm

Thanks guys!

I asked guys at Powergrip what they know about SL's, and their opinion is that Pro Starfires are in fact SL's at the moment. They went through all their Pro Starfires; most of them were SL's, one was Starfire and few were marked SF and they were in between of those two. So it looks like there are Pro SL's available. I'll put them into consideration and see if I could maybe trade one somewhere and check it out.

I had SOLF's in my bag in the past, but they were all really hard fading discs, they almost felt like Predators. It may be that I just got lemons, but I don't know. But I think I would rather go with a disc that is more like distance driver, not a tweener like OLF, because if I'm going for control I reach for my Eagles.

I think I've never thrown a Flow. It could be worth trying, at least I've read many good things about them here. What charasterictics should I look for if I decided to test it? Flat or domey, PLH, which plastic?
Roottori
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:50 am

Opto Flow with the highest dome and highest PLH you can find are good in headwinds provided there are equally high domes ones available now compared to the ones i have.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Roottori » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:18 pm

I have two domey Opto Flows on the way, let's see how those bad boys fly.
Roottori
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:33 pm

If they flip in calm weather check the PLH. The outside edge should be horizontal. If it droops down below that tune it up by bending the disc sides up by holding it in both hands on the opposite sides of the disc. Technically it makes the disc competition illegal but that's them rules going against putting the disc back into what they should be ho hum. In this case i don't know the intent of the designer though so i don't claim a level outside edge is the intent in this disc.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Roottori » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:56 pm

I finally got those two Opto Flows, they are pretty much identical. First one is bright pink and another one is light pink. Both are max weight (really max weight, the scale shows they both weigh 180 grams... Either my scale is off or Latitude is screving things up pretty badly...), no drooping edges and PLH's are identical. The bright pink one is a little bit domier, though. Now I just have to wait for an opportunity to test these, we have quite a snow storm going on here so it really isn't ideal weather for disc golfing.
Roottori
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion