What happened to Salomons?

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: What happened to Salomons?

Postby turso » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:54 pm

Jeronimo wrote:As someone who also owns a pair of Inov-8's I would also recommend them. They're probably not for everyone because of how thin the soles are but they fit well and feel like they're well made.

Are those made for fat footed people then? They look nice, but I have pretty thin feet so shoes for fatty fat fattie feet are not for me.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby rusch_bag » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:34 pm

Salomons are the only shoes I have got for disc golf that have lasted more than a month. I won't get anything else at this point.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:58 pm

turso wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:As someone who also owns a pair of Inov-8's I would also recommend them. They're probably not for everyone because of how thin the soles are but they fit well and feel like they're well made.

Are those made for fat footed people then? They look nice, but I have pretty thin feet so shoes for fatty fat fattie feet are not for me.

Not at all, I had to go up a size in order to get a pair that fit me well. If I had a more narrow foot I would bet I could have squeezed into a full size smaller. They appear to be very anatomically designed.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby turso » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:19 am

They look pretty nifty, gotta get a pair when I wear my current shoes out. What models do you guys have and/or would recommend?
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby dgdave » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:38 am

Wings XT and xa pro 3d ultra
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby dgdave » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:41 am

Wait, did you mean inov-8? I listed Salomons.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Postby paju » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:55 pm

turso wrote:They look pretty nifty, gotta get a pair when I wear my current shoes out. What models do you guys have and/or would recommend?

Turso, Mudroc-280 won a couple of trailrunning tests last autumn and if you are going to find some models in finnish stores, it'll be this one.

Sry guys, you're not going to understand this review :)
http://www.juoksija-lehti.fi/Default.aspx?tabid=3006

E: äh, that link will take you somewhere near anyway..

+ ON Topic.
I've been using Salomons pretty much all my disc golf "career", XA Pro 3d Ultras, with and without Goretex and also the Gtx Mid-version.
I know that they are going to start to leak in some time and yes the soles will fall off, but I really like the fit and their structure is pretty much perfect for golf, stiffish low profile sole and stiff, tight fitting heelcup. And you don't have know how to tie the laces.
I'm getting Speedcross 2 Gore's to test in few days though. And Salomon also has new line, XR Crossmax, out. They are more like your regular running shoe, with grippy off-road sole.
paju
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Eric O » Tue May 03, 2011 9:00 am

FWIW, I have purchased several pairs of XT Wings over the last few years. Mostly because they are the most comfortable distance hiking shoe I have ever worn. I have yet to find their equal. There are not many shoes that I can walk all day in rocky and uneven terrain for days at a time and never get any soreness or blisters or foot fatigue at all. I'm not a Salomon fanboy and I don't have any allegiance to any particular shoe brand. The XT Wings are just that good. I found their durability about average, and I once had to return a pair twice because of the sole delaminating almost immediately, but for putting on heavy mileage they have what it takes.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby LoudinT » Thu May 26, 2011 10:14 am

I've never had any Salomons but have always heard good things about them. I am in the market for a decent lightweight hiking shoe and might look into them. I've noticed Shoe Mall has quite a bit of Salomons. But I do have wide feet, so it sounds like Salomons are kind of tight for people with wide feet.
Loudin - Waiting for the rain to end.
LoudinT
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hurricane

Postby Timko » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:30 pm

I finally blew out the laces on my last pair of original XT Wings. The eyes on the lower part of the shoe have torn away as well.

Does anyone own a pair of XT Wings 2? I was wondering if the lowest eyes are all fabric or if they're re-enforced. I am waiting until June for the XT Wings 3's to come out but I may be able to buy a nice pair of used XT Wings 2's. I don't seem to find any other shoes under $50 that I would buy to replace them for now and I can get the used ones for that much.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby mikes919 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:50 pm

I'm on my 4th pair of XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX's (over about 5 years) and I'll keep wearing them until the stop making them. I still see them in stores everywhere. I haven't found anything else as comfortable, waterproof, and low to the ground. I do have fairly narrow feet.
Flash - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Gator - Buzzz - Wizard
mikes919
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Leopard

Postby warobert » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:14 pm

I had 2 pair of XA pro 3d ultra gtx that we super comfortable but didn't last the summer between the two pair. REI took each pair back on warranty after the soles delaminated after right at 5 weeks of 6 rounds a week. I have switched to Brooks cascadia trail runners and they last a good 9-10 months before the tread is worn down to smooth. I'm 4 months into my second pair and I couldn't be happier.
Mark Ellis wrote:Myth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid.

Truth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid left-handed.
warobert
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: teebird

Postby JR » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:01 am

mikes919 wrote:I'm on my 4th pair of XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX's (over about 5 years) and I'll keep wearing them until the stop making them. I still see them in stores everywhere. I haven't found anything else as comfortable, waterproof, and low to the ground. I do have fairly narrow feet.

Have you read the thread about Vivobrefoot Off Roads? That is lower to the ground and water proof. It is comfy for me YMMV because people vary. My heels are very thin and the lest is very wide as it needs to be with a minimalist shoe.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby mikes919 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:20 pm

JR wrote:
mikes919 wrote:I'm on my 4th pair of XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX's (over about 5 years) and I'll keep wearing them until the stop making them. I still see them in stores everywhere. I haven't found anything else as comfortable, waterproof, and low to the ground. I do have fairly narrow feet.

Have you read the thread about Vivobrefoot Off Roads? That is lower to the ground and water proof. It is comfy for me YMMV because people vary. My heels are very thin and the lest is very wide as it needs to be with a minimalist shoe.

Yikes, those are a little extreme for me but they do look pretty cool. I just know that after my second pair of Salomon's I tried playing in a few other brands (North Face, Merrell, something else I cant remember) and couldn't get over how thick the soles felt in comparison. I haven't had any of the wear issues with the XA Pro's that other people have mentioned. I'm sticking with those and orange superfeet until I can't find them anymore I think. I still want a little bit of support.
Flash - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Gator - Buzzz - Wizard
mikes919
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Leopard

Postby dgdave » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:49 pm

I just stared using a pair of xt wings that I've had about a year and a half. I for for how much I liked Solomons. I had 2 pairs of the xa pro 3d and wore them out and got a pair of keeps after that. I like both, but love how light the Solomons are.
-dgdave

dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

PreviousNext

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear