King Cobra and Super Stingray

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: King Cobra and Super Stingray

Postby JR » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:31 am

money 21 wrote:
BrotherDave wrote:How do these compare to a QMS?

imo the qms has more turn and more fade. for me the ss like to go straight. If i turn over my qms it is going to come back he ss won't.

My only SS flies different to that. It flips at power but won't at 80 %. And mine will flex out from a couple of degrees of initial flip.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby money 21 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:28 pm

if i power grip the ss and throw full power i flip both the ss and the qms. however I throw most of my mid shots with a fan grip so maybe that is the difference. Also I only have one of each disc so that could explain it as well.
Last edited by money 21 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby JR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:00 pm

money 21 wrote:if i power grip the ss and throwful power i flip both the ss and the qms. however I throw most of my mid shots with a fan grip so maybe that is the difference. Also I only have one of each disc so that could explain it as well.

Power grip for both and 1 SS and three QMSs and an MS over the years.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby money 21 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:04 pm

how does a star stingray compare to the super. is it just a little more under stable or a lot more understable? I haven't thrown a star stingray in about 4 years.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Flipflat » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:16 pm

Star Stingray have more dome, slower. Pretty much the same stability, the super just has more distance potential.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby money 21 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:00 am

thanks I am real throwing the supersting ray alot and it just loves to go straight i have to throw full power or with an anny release to get to turn all the way to the ground. I think i will pick up a star stingray and beat it up as the easy turn compliment.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby money 21 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:44 pm

picked up a new star stingray and it seems to have the same micro bead as the super stingray do all of them have this now?
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Steve » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:03 pm

I have never seen a star stingray without the super stingray bottom. I have also seen it in DX now too.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby money 21 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:49 pm

is anyone pairing a King Cobra with a dx cobra? If i can fh the king i won this weekend I may look at switching away from my squalls.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby x-out » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:12 pm

money 21 wrote:is anyone pairing a King Cobra with a dx cobra? If i can fh the king i won this weekend I may look at switching away from my squalls.

i'm curious about this as well. not because i throw the king cobra, but because this sounds like a nice pairing.

using the king cobra FH is a matter of grip style and preference. i was able to FH them, but FH is not not specialty.
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby limonsock » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:36 am

does the super stingray fly at all similar to a mako? I want something that flies putter lines but goes farther than a mako.
Current bag is sloppy yet fun; Judges, comet, wasp, FD's, river?, saint?, PD's, Flow, D1, Nuke, ...
limonsock
Noob

Favorite Disc: today its a comet

Postby discmonkey42 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:02 am

In my experience, the super stingray has about the same range as the mako, turns a bit more early, and has more fade.

The mako has good distance for a point and shoot mid. To go further on similar lines, I'd step up to a straight fairway driver like the FD, River, or a Leo. Those all have good glide and stay on the lines you throw them on.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby JR » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:08 am

I've heard that the SSs have variations and mine seems to be the beefier kind meaning it will flip only a little at 300' being non flippy out to 270' with very similar possibly a hair harder fade than the Mako but i have not done a side by side comparison. The closest matches to longer Makos but not by much are softer Axis, (mine are super iffy like Comets with unclean releases sometime flipping and not only on the purest throws) Comet, Fuse (less HSS) and Warship. A class above those in distance is Coyote and Squall but the straightest kind only applies and so far sparkle Z type plastic Squall has been the most HSS and least LSS kind fitting the bill of Makoish straightness (almost). The next step up in distance an when you get a good one (the majority are like this i think) non flipping harder than mids fading Stalker. I call this a tweener disc not a true mid. The next stage is Leo and XL.

So obviously there is a limit in current disc selection to distance that you can get a putter line and there is a reason why i always advertise the Coyote. I have not found another disc that goes as far or longer on straight putter lines. The only real competition with that range and almost as much straightness i've found is the Sparkle Squall but there is a definite difference in the fade. Compared to putters the Coyote fades a hair more than the straightest mids so even it is not like a low thrown putter at any height. But out of mids it is the longest if it is thrown so low that it lands flat before the fade kicks in. Even though the Squall is faster and a hair longer it lacks the glide so the distance evens out fairly well with head high or lower throws because the Coyote glides amazingly well. I have not tested it but i think the super well gliding Warship probably also is relatively longer than absolutely when thrown so low that it does not have the time to fade. It exhibits the low HSS worst thrown so low because it is way less reliable then than the Squall and the Coyote. So Aviar P & A type fade does not exist in mids that are longer than the Mako. Coyote equivalent fade in a driving putter could be something like KC Aviar/Wizard and the Squall is Ridge to Rhyno past 230'. In the roughest of terms starting from when the fade begins. Which is a little different percentage of flight between those discs. The Comet is the longest Aviar P & A type fade mid i know of. And even they vary based on the plastic run and individual variances. Z Comets are not that P & A in their fade but closer to the Sole so the X Comet is the best bet for long P & A style fade.

The trouble with the Comets is that it is not at all tolerant to any user errors thrown low enough to not fade and in tunnels even when you have clean releases and otherwise OAT free technique. Relatively speaking putter driving is not the most forgiving thing either especially with the P & A and less HSS and/or taller putters.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Torg » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:05 pm

My SS is super stable out to about 330'. For some reason it handles the wind like crap though.
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby Stringbean » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:45 pm

Over the summer, I purchased a Star Super Stingray with a giant Southern Nationals Stamp from ebay. It is a lot flatter than the champ version and seems to be more stable. I don't recall how it handles the wind.

There is one for sale now but they are asking $24. Mine was $12 shipped in an auction. See below...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Innova-Full-Col ... vi-content
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment