What is a fairway driver

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What is a fairway driver

Postby DiscBiscuit » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:24 pm

I've been playing for ~10 years, and have not really ever thrown any kind of fairway driver. I'm not coming to realize that there is a gap between my putter/midrange, and my drivers.

My bag consists of:
MVP ION, BUZZZ, Glide, Nuke, Destroyer.

With the ion, buzzz and glide I use the fan grip, and have pretty good control of angle whether it be hyzer(more with the buzzz), or anhyzer(with the glide).
I can throw my ION nearly 250ft on a rope, and the buzzz and glide ~300.

I use a 3 finger power grip on the Nuke and Destroyer, only using the destroyer for large helix shots or hyzers, and both go just less than ~375.

I am not looking for recommendations on what disc to buy, but rather how I should ease myself into throwing a fairway driver, and well how to throw one? Grip? Power? I need help with accuracy on 250+ holes with defined fairways.

Thank you
DiscBiscuit
Noob

Favorite Disc: ion

Re: What is a fairway driver

Postby JR » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:36 pm

A Leopard is the straightest driver so it is great for 250' tunnels if you throw softly but you can throw to 270-280' with control with the Buzzz and the Glide. The idea behind fairway drivers is control. They are slow and nose angle insensitive enough to be worlds more forgiving to form flaws and underpowering than fast drivers. You should experiment with the grip to see which works the nest for you but the three finger power grip should work just fine with the Leo. At your power i recommend a Champion 175 if the slickness is not a problem and if it is a Star 175.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: What is a fairway driver

Postby DiscBiscuit » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:15 pm

Thank you.

if any of you guys make it up to the "golf coast" of michigan, send me a pm.
DiscBiscuit
Noob

Favorite Disc: ion

Return to Technique