Why is a "pop top" desirable?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Why is a "pop top" desirable?

Postby CloudySkyJedi » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:46 pm

We've all heard someone step up to the tee pad and start popping their disc like it's some little heart beat. Why does everyone want this pop sound out of a "good" disc?

I've got discs that make no pop, ones that do pop naturally but softer, and some that definitely qualify as poppy. Sometimes they're even the SAME so called disc (thanks Innova).

Does this pop translate to something else in flight characteristics?

Why does everyone want it?
Anode Rhyno Vector Axis Roc Firebird PD FD Volt Quasar Nuke
CloudySkyJedi
Noob

Favorite Disc: Anode

Re: Why is a "pop top" desirable?

Postby Stringbean » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:57 pm

I've never heard of this term. I have an echo-star destroyer that pops. It is super domey. I think something went wrong in the cooling process.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

Postby JR » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:15 pm

Normally pop tops have a higher dome than a similar disc. That can change the flight characteristics and it can be very different from disc to disc and class to class. In drivers taller domes usually slow the disc down quicker and add glide and fade making the faster discs good in a headwind but there are exceptions. Like flat top Katana and DD2 are way more overstable than domey versions. In mids flat tops might make a Roc a bit more OS and i have those but some say that they are more US than regulars so i dunno because i've never seen that kind of disc and with PLH variation and general inconsistency of manufacture who knows. In Buzzzes flat tops are more OS.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:09 am

Basically, pop-top means a top big enough that it pops when pressed down, and big dome = big glide. How the PLH matches up is another thing entirely, but the glide is probably why many like them.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby JR » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:09 am

Having more glide is desirable to those that have enough power to punch the disc far enough and enough spin to retard the added fade in discs like poppy top Flash that fades more than regular ones. Desirable for which purposes and to whom is usually tilted to the favor of power throwers who get more out of pop top discs.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby iacas » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:28 am

So discs with bigger domes:
1) Fade more
2) Glide more

Is that accurate?
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby JR » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:39 am

There is no rule of thumb like that any more like there was some years ago. A flat top Star Katana and flat DD2 fades much more than higher domed versions. As a generalization it may be close enough still as long as people realize that there are exceptions.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby keltik » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:25 am

I think it's better to say:

Big domes glide more

High Parting Lines fade more.

Dome size affects parting line height but it's not always direct. it generally depends on the mold. some discs a high dome raises the PLH. other discs raise the PLH when they are flattened.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby inthedrift » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:45 pm

This ^
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby niuvalleycane » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:14 pm

push the pop down, flatter profile flies out of the hand fast, top pops up later in the flight, glide kicks in...
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Ryen91 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:01 am

wow asking about POP......Havent your Heard???
Ryen91
Noob

Favorite Disc: Tee Rex

Postby pask2155 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:37 pm

niuvalleycane wrote:push the pop down, flatter profile flies out of the hand fast, top pops up later in the flight, glide kicks in...

Does this really work? And does it make the disc fly Farther?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby JR » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:29 am

I've never heard of that but i've also never even seen a disc that would hold the top down long enough to stay that way before i got the disc off of my hand even though i have discs that make the pop sound with the tall dome. It is intriguing to think of the flatter profile possibly reducing drag in the early part of the flight increasing drag and glide later in the throw. Maybe i should pick a poppy top Flash from storage and violently push the dome down to see how long it stays down. I'm not sure how legal that is according to the rules modifying the disc is a no no.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JHern » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:18 pm

pask2155 wrote:
niuvalleycane wrote:push the pop down, flatter profile flies out of the hand fast, top pops up later in the flight, glide kicks in...

Does this really work? And does it make the disc fly Farther?

Ah crap! You're giving away our secrets niuvalleycane!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby BrotherDave » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:42 pm

This thread almost makes me want to get a Quest Wildfire, aka the flying nipple.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Next

Return to General Discussion