soft mvp ion vs. regular mvp ion

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

soft mvp ion vs. regular mvp ion

Postby pask2155 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:40 pm

Was looking at discgolfcener.com and they have mvp ions/anodes that are soft and medium... I went to our local throw shop and they just an anodes/ions in different plastics (proton or neutron)... Also went to MVP's site and they don't have this either... So what is this, and does anyone have any experience with them?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Re: soft mvp ion vs. regular mvp ion

Postby keltik » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:04 pm

Have you looked in here?: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15566
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby pask2155 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:24 pm

Yeah... Still don't really see what the softer discs are made of... Still a little confused... Still would love some answers seeing this is a forum
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby BrotherDave » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:49 pm

When Ions first came out, they came as Softs and Mediums (firm). Eventually they decided that Medium was confusing so they dropped it and just have Soft and regular. Originally the only plastic was called proton and it was generally opaque. Then they got new, sexy plastic and Proton became clear/candy whereas the Neutron is opaque. Kind of confusing but there it is. Softs should be marked accordingly on the overmold (black rim) in white marker I believe.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby jubuttib » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:00 am

BrotherDave wrote:When Ions first came out, they came as Softs and Mediums (firm). Eventually they decided that Medium was confusing so they dropped it and just have Soft and regular. Originally the only plastic was called proton and it was generally opaque. Then they got new, sexy plastic and Proton became clear/candy whereas the Neutron is opaque. Kind of confusing but there it is. Softs should be marked accordingly on the overmold (black rim) in white marker I believe.
They got new sexy colorant, not plastic, which made them clear. =)

I haven't seen soft Neutrons yet, so any soft MVP disc is likely to be Proton.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby pask2155 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:19 am

Huh well my proton anode came marked with the weight on the rim so I guess this is a soft? It seems stiff to me... Lol. Either way just a little confusing is all... Thanks for the replies
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:37 am

pask2155 wrote:Huh well my proton anode came marked with the weight on the rim so I guess this is a soft? It seems stiff to me... Lol. Either way just a little confusing is all... Thanks for the replies

Soft will say "Proton soft" on the stamp and some have "soft" written on the overmold (though I'm pretty sure they aren't writing anything on overmolds anymore). Sounds like you have a regular Proton Anode.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby BrotherDave » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:01 pm

jubuttib wrote:
BrotherDave wrote:When Ions first came out, they came as Softs and Mediums (firm). Eventually they decided that Medium was confusing so they dropped it and just have Soft and regular. Originally the only plastic was called proton and it was generally opaque. Then they got new, sexy plastic and Proton became clear/candy whereas the Neutron is opaque. Kind of confusing but there it is. Softs should be marked accordingly on the overmold (black rim) in white marker I believe.
They got new sexy colorant, not plastic, which made them clear. =)

Good call, I forgot about that detail. Thanks for the assist.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Return to Equipment