rough around the edges

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

rough around the edges

Postby theredstar » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:17 pm

So I have just recently started playing.iv done.some reading to understand the flight rating systems and iv bought a few discs.I have a innova star katana,a star teedevil,and a kc aviar putter.there is a par 3 course by my house iv been playing for about a month.I'm averaging about 5 over.does anyone have any tips to help improve my game? Whether it be tips on buying discs,throwing styles,or just tips that have helped you in the past.I throw rhbh and sidearm.my.drives are about 250'. And my disc tends to rise to high coming out of my hand.any.tips on fixing that?
theredstar
Noob

Favorite Disc: innova teedevil

Re: rough around the edges

Postby inthedrift » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Check out the technique section as well as the stickied threads. You would benefit from buying some slower discs than the drivers you mentioned, I'd recommend a midrange or two and a fairway driver or two as well.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby JR » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:25 pm

I suggest you buy an Innova Coyote because it flies straight and far for a midrange and is not terribly worse with nose up high stalling far left dropping throws. And it grows with you to be usable way later in the career. I've written advice on how to prevent "nose up" throws many times lately so search with that term. After you've eliminated nose up throws check out an Innova Leopard to bridge the flight characteristics gap between the Coyote and the faster drivers. Unlike the drivers you have now the Leopard is straight it is the straightest driver there is.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby theredstar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:54 am

Thanks for all the advice.ill give that a shot and let you know how it goes
theredstar
Noob

Postby theredstar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:18 am

What is the difference between midrange and fairway drivers
theredstar
Noob

Postby keltik » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:28 am

there's a pretty noticeable difference in speed and attainable distance (pending proper form of course). but mainly in speed and shape. You may also want to check out a Cheetah ("fairway" driver). The Shark is also a good disc (Midrange).
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby theredstar » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks for the advice keltik
theredstar
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:41 am

Cheetah is the big brother of the Leopard and fades more. Fairway drivers are longer than mids and start to hurt more with nose up throws. Fairway drivers teach everyting form wise worse than mids except the need to push the front of the disc down to at least equally high with the rear.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to General Discussion