Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Postby money 21 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:02 am

jubuttib wrote:I can't believe I've been so unlucky with Northmen. My first runs were kinda like good premium plastic Valks, though a bit more understable, and then when I was asked to review them I got three new ones, randomly picked from the stack (2 vip 1 tp) they were even more understable, really fliptastic. I want to find these stable Northmen people have been throwing. =(

I have had the best luck with the purple and teal vips with the older foil stamp with big domes.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:18 pm
Favorite Disc: Z XS

Re: Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Postby money 21 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:04 am

brittwink what plastic are you throwing your valks in?
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:18 pm
Favorite Disc: Z XS

Re: Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Postby brittwink » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:31 am

discspeed wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:
brittwink wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:
pask2155 wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:Nuke SS is way way way flippier than a valk.


I was going by Joes flight chart which is HIGHLY RECOMENDED around here. So maybe we shouldn't push the flight chart? But according to it this should be what he is looking for...


Plus it is way faster, he said just a bit faster and a bit more glide....


*she :)


sorry ma'am.

Image


You sir are the win-rar :clap:
brittwink
Noob
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:36 pm
Favorite Disc: Axis

Re: Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Postby brittwink » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:33 am

money 21 wrote:brittwink what plastic are you throwing your valks in?


see here's the thing I think people think I want to get rid of my Valks, but I just want something different to add to my bag that's similar. I throw DX's and one max weight champ, but I want to try out maybe a 169-165 g pro and see if I like it more.
brittwink
Noob
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:36 pm
Favorite Disc: Axis

Re: Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Postby JR » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:02 am

Weight for weight a Pro Valk flips more than a Champ when new and Champs don't wear much at all and the Pro does so going lighter will make the Pro 16x even flippier compared the the Champ. The good thing is that then you have a grippy flippy disc that doesn't fly much differently at all vs a broken in DX. And for a 400' thrower DX Valk become flippy after one hit to a solid object harder than sand. I know this from experience and mine flipped a lot even when i bent the slight outer edge droop back to new shape. If you used the Pro Valk and the Champ Valk you might be able to eliminate all other straightish drivers from your bag because these are so versatile.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11455
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Postby brittwink » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:10 pm

JR wrote:Weight for weight a Pro Valk flips more than a Champ when new and Champs don't wear much at all and the Pro does so going lighter will make the Pro 16x even flippier compared the the Champ. The good thing is that then you have a grippy flippy disc that doesn't fly much differently at all vs a broken in DX. And for a 400' thrower DX Valk become flippy after one hit to a solid object harder than sand. I know this from experience and mine flipped a lot even when i bent the slight outer edge droop back to new shape. If you used the Pro Valk and the Champ Valk you might be able to eliminate all other straightish drivers from your bag because these are so versatile.


I love how my beat-in DX valk flies, so that sounds like a good deal. I recently had to take it out because it was starting to get too many knicks to function properly :cry: I'm not a huge fan of my champ Valk, mainly because in my opinion it doesn't fly like a valkyrie "should", if that makes sense. And to me it's so heavy that it's a disc I only use for very specific shot. I want that versatility.
brittwink
Noob
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:36 pm
Favorite Disc: Axis

Re: Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Postby money 21 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:29 pm

if you like the dx valk try out the mamba reminds me of a broke in dx valk.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1789
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:18 pm
Favorite Disc: Z XS

Re: Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Postby Monocacy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:51 pm

money 21 wrote:if you like the dx valk try out the mamba reminds me of a broke in dx valk.

Yes, I have an old 150 Champ Valk that has lost most of its LSS. The Mamba is in the process of kicking it out of the bag. Crazy glide.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 549
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:05 pm
Location: Maryland
Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:00 pm

I too love the Mamba...I've never had a disc that could glide so far to the right and stay in the air. It's a rare example of a mold that's understable by design that actually flies better than a similar speed stable disc beat in.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Postby JR » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:55 pm

brittwink wrote:
JR wrote:Weight for weight a Pro Valk flips more than a Champ when new and Champs don't wear much at all and the Pro does so going lighter will make the Pro 16x even flippier compared the the Champ. The good thing is that then you have a grippy flippy disc that doesn't fly much differently at all vs a broken in DX. And for a 400' thrower DX Valk become flippy after one hit to a solid object harder than sand. I know this from experience and mine flipped a lot even when i bent the slight outer edge droop back to new shape. If you used the Pro Valk and the Champ Valk you might be able to eliminate all other straightish drivers from your bag because these are so versatile.


I love how my beat-in DX valk flies, so that sounds like a good deal. I recently had to take it out because it was starting to get too many knicks to function properly :cry: I'm not a huge fan of my champ Valk, mainly because in my opinion it doesn't fly like a valkyrie "should", if that makes sense. And to me it's so heavy that it's a disc I only use for very specific shot. I want that versatility.


You are not the only one at all noticing the same problem with the Champ Valk and Star is much more overstable so even worse. If you go Valk only you can cover some headwinds with Champs/Stars and hyzer flips to flat and moderately right with the Pro and hard right with the broken in DX. How's that for disc minimalism for that speed of discs? One mold for everything.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11455
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Postby brittwink » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:39 pm

JR wrote:
You are not the only one at all noticing the same problem with the Champ Valk and Star is much more overstable so even worse. If you go Valk only you can cover some headwinds with Champs/Stars and hyzer flips to flat and moderately right with the Pro and hard right with the broken in DX. How's that for disc minimalism for that speed of discs? One mold for everything.


I definitely want to try all the molds. I have recently traded for a 168 star Valk, so I'm interested to try it out and see how I like it. It may replace my champ for the more overstable shots, because I'm just not a huge fan of max weight champs, and that champ Valk was the first driver I ever owned, so I didn't know my ideal disc weights when I bought it. I want to get a Pro valk too and see if I can replace my beat to hell DX with it. If so I'll definitely be a happy camper since I love Valks so much
brittwink
Noob
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:36 pm
Favorite Disc: Axis

Re: Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Postby JR » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:50 am

You meant you want to try all plastics that Valks are made in. Discs are manufactured under very high pressure injection molding machines which melt and spray the plastic into a metal mold. A mold produces a single disc in all plastics sharing the same name like The Valkyrie. Actually molds have several parts and some parts are used in more than a single disc but that's even more off topic.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11455
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Postby brittwink » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:22 am

JR wrote:You meant you want to try all plastics that Valks are made in. Discs are manufactured under very high pressure injection molding machines which melt and spray the plastic into a metal mold. A mold produces a single disc in all plastics sharing the same name like The Valkyrie. Actually molds have several parts and some parts are used in more than a single disc but that's even more off topic.

sorry I just misspoke
brittwink
Noob
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:36 pm
Favorite Disc: Axis

Re: Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Postby LumberJack » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:21 am

Beast, Surge SS (blue ones are sweet), Astra, Archon
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:14 pm
Location: Fema Camp
Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Longer Valkyrie with a similar flight?

Postby JR » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:16 am

No problem :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11455
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests