New to the board?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: New to the board?

Postby JR » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:04 am

Welcome you must have been pretty good if playing so little leaves you expecting a 930 rating. Good luck.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby mikes919 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:38 am

JR wrote:Welcome you must have been pretty good if playing so little leaves you expecting a 930 rating. Good luck.

I drove up to milwaukee on Monday, shot a 62 at Brown Deer and the course was in the same setup as the Brown Deer Open a couple days earlier. 62 would have been good for a 939 in round 1 or a 925 in round 2. Considering it was my first time playing the course and I hadn't practiced in months, I felt pretty good about it. I was 940-something rated the last time my PDGA membership was current and had cashed in a handful of Adv tournaments. Never challenged for the lead card in Adv though.
Flash - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Gator - Buzzz - Wizard
mikes919
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Leopard

Postby AARP » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:31 pm

What's up everyone? New guy here from Kansas. Been playing for a while now. Not anything close to good haha. I just play for fun and figured I'd join, always up for learning.
AARP
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby JR » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:17 pm

Welcome. Are you at the point in your career that you know what the best wind beating discs are? I'v heard that around your parts winds can be pretty rough.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby aerodriver » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:49 pm

Hello all, I know I've posted and started threads before this but I figured I'd introduce myself a little more generally here. Currently getting back into disc golf after a four year hiatus where I was playing Ultimate a lot. I've been learning a lot of great stuff here and hopefully more is to come! I'm heading out to the Coggshall and Devens courses in Massachusetts this Friday, so hopefully I have some good news about my round numbers and how my discs fare!

I was just wondering if there were any good resources here or elsewhere explaining right-turning discs. I've never had a disc (including my Roadrunner) that wanted to turn right. Thanks in advance!
PDGA #59212
NEFA #1910
Team Trilogy
aerodriver
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Latitude 64 Trident

Postby allsport1313 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:07 pm

AFAIK, no disc when thrown RHBH inherently "wants" to turn right. But there are two ways of achieving it. First is an anhyzer, angling the disc in your reach back so that it comes out of your throw already going to the right (looks like \ from behind). Second way is a turnover shot. If you throw a stable or understable disc hard and nose down they have the tendency to turn depending on the disc. Hope this helps I'm a noob
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby AARP » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:30 pm

JR wrote:Welcome. Are you at the point in your career that you know what the best wind beating discs are? I'v heard that around your parts winds can be pretty rough.

It usually depends. It does get pretty windy here, but surprisingly it isn't bad. Unless I have gotten used to it haha. It really depends on the hole or how I am playing lol. Banshee is always good, sidewinder, force, even teebird... really depends on the wind and how I am throwing haha
AARP
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Fightingthetide » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:46 pm

allsport1313 wrote:AFAIK, no disc when thrown RHBH inherently "wants" to turn right. But there are two ways of achieving it. First is an anhyzer, angling the disc in your reach back so that it comes out of your throw already going to the right (looks like \ from behind). Second way is a turnover shot. If you throw a stable or understable disc hard and nose down they have the tendency to turn depending on the disc. Hope this helps I'm a noob

Actually, all discs want to turn right RHBH. What keeps them from doing so is stability. So it depends on the disc and the power at which you throw it. Champ and Star Roadrunners actually need a lot more power than you might think to get them to turn right. Aerodriver, Look up "PLH". Stick around the forum and you'll learn a lot. Welcome!
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Qikly » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:49 pm

Howdy, folks. Nice to have a thread to introduce myself.

I got bit by the disc golf bug after playing a round with my brother this summer (also a newbie). I have a background in athletics (football and wrestling growing up), but have mostly focused on music for the last ten years or so. It's been nice to get back into a physical discipline: being a good disc golfer is as hard as being good at anything else, obviously, but it's gratifying to be involved with something with such direct feedback. There are times where I wish discerning whether a musical execution was successful or not was as easy as discerning whether a throw is successful or not. I'm sure there's a lot of grey area to encounter (I'm already hitting that first ceiling technique-wise), but for now, I'm still in the honeymoon phase. : P Will probably throw my bag up here at some point, but in the meantime, I wanted to say "hello."

Much appreciated for all this site has to offer: it's been a boon to discover it so early in my disc golfing life. Look forward to getting to know some of you better.
Banshee|Underworld
Comet
VP|Voodoo

**Currently auditioning Eagle Xs**
Qikly
Noob

Favorite Disc: Underworld

Postby JR » Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:41 am

Hi and welcome. What are the courses like there now that you've had several storms of too large proportions? We've lost only IIRC about 7-8 trees on one course from storm winds in a few years being by the sea and with relatively few active club members clearing even those has been a chore because most of them have blocked fairways.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Qikly » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:00 am

I've only played one of the two local courses, City Park, since Lafreniere is notoriously crowded with pedestrians if you don't get there in the morning, and mornings are tough for me. City Park has fared really well: no major trees on the course were uprooted. There was a lot of debris after Isaac, but the only major disruptions were the debris piles the park clean-up crew formed on two of the holes, one of which was pretty disruptive and sat there for weeks. Not sure why they couldn't find another spot to dump everything. :-P That aside, we were really fortunate: it was the city suburbs, especially those on the wrong side of the levees, which got hit the hardest.

Although the storms are of course a downside to living here, now that it's late October, I'm starting to realize how fortunate I am that I'll be able to play outside year round!
Banshee|Underworld
Comet
VP|Voodoo

Qikly
Noob

Postby NOHalffastpull » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Q

Welcome to DGR,
Welcome to Disc Golf
Welcome to NOTeam
http://noteamdiscgolf.com/

We have the characters to keep you on your toes,
the weather to keep your toes warm
and baskets just waiting to be planted.

Try to find your way to Lafreniere Park for a Sunday 8 am tag round.

steve timm
NOHalffastpull
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: still searching ....

Postby Qikly » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:54 pm

Thanks for the welcome, Steve! ACTUALLY, I believe I returned a disc of yours to you via a third party a while back: it was a white Buzzz, dyed with a handicapped parking sign. I found it off hole 10 at City Park, passed it along to Nick, who seems to be an active part of NOLA disc golf. I hope it found its way to you!

In any event, I look forward to meeting you in person at some point, and to getting to know NO Team!
Banshee|Underworld
Comet
VP|Voodoo

Qikly
Noob

Postby wrc » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:08 pm

Hey everybody...I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now trying to digest all the great info in here and figured I'd actually register and introduce myself. My name is Ben and
I've played on and off for a while but would like to get a little more serious and actually improve a bit. I live in Socal so no real weather issues to fight and year round golf for me :D

Thanks in advance for all the tips I've been and will continue to steal from everyone's experience here
wrc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Whatever flies good

Postby JR » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:33 pm

Welcome. You live in an area where you can get advice or just look at many great players.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion