Time to move on from the Nuke SS?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Time to move on from the Nuke SS?

Postby ratchet » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:05 pm

I recently lost my primary driver, a Nuke SS (172g), and have been struggling to decide what my next move should be. Right now I would consider myself on the low end of the intermediate spectrum, driving an average of 250-300ft. I picked up the Nuke SS after spending a long time using the Xpress as my primary driver. I am really attempting to work up to better drivers appropriately with a focus on technique improvement, hence my decision to go with the Nuke SS over the standard Nuke.

A recent surge of disc golf addiction led me to purchase a Blizzard Champ Katana (158g) & Blizzard Champ Boss (140g)as well, throwing common sense to the wind in an attempt to gain some distance & experiment with higher speed, lower weight drivers. The Katana has worked out relatively well, although neither of these two acquisitions has been as reliable as my Nuke SS. As sad as it was too lose my Nuke SS, I am now thinking it might be an opportunity to grow. I can definitely bomb the Katana most of the time, although I know it may not be technically the right fit for my skill.

I have been mulling over the idea of picking up a few new discs to see if any resonate with me. I would really appreciate your thoughts on my following options:

[Option 1] Forget about a new disc, focus on technique and use the Blizz Champ Katana/Boss (or maybe go back to the Xpress?)
[Option 2] Replace the Nuke SS (maybe a lighter one) & defer replacement until my technique improves
[Option 3] Move up to the Nuke
[Option 4] Pick up a slower driver to more closely match my skill, perhaps a Wraith or Teebird?

As much as I want to go out and buy all of the aforementioned discs, I'm really trying to keep it simple and focus on form.
ratchet
Noob

Favorite Disc: Xpress

Re: Time to move on from the Nuke SS?

Postby mikes919 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:22 pm

If you're serious about keeping it simple and focusing on form, you should pick a fairway driver like a Teebird, Eagle, or Cyclone and don't buy anything faster until you can consistently throw over 300' with them. I only threw eagles for a very long time when I started to play seriously, and my form is much smoother and more consistent because of it.
Flash - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Gator - Buzzz - Wizard
mikes919
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Leopard

Postby ratchet » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:28 pm

mikes919 wrote:If you're serious about keeping it simple and focusing on form, you should pick a fairway driver like a Teebird, Eagle, or Cyclone and don't buy anything faster until you can consistently throw over 300' with them. I only threw eagles for a very long time when I started to play seriously, and my form is much smoother and more consistent because of it.

This is definitely the option I'm leaning towards. Thanks much for the input!
ratchet
Noob

Postby LumberJack » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:53 pm

Saint, slower than warp speed, powers down well and made in glorious Swedish plastic. Pick up 3, 1 170g+ in opto, 1 168-170g in goldline, and 1 175g goldline (blue) for me :-)
Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:34 pm

mikes919 wrote:If you're serious about keeping it simple and focusing on form, you should pick a fairway driver like a Teebird, Eagle, or Cyclone and don't buy anything faster until you can consistently throw over 300' with them. I only threw eagles for a very long time when I started to play seriously, and my form is much smoother and more consistent because of it.

Good to see folks still giving good advice on DGR...listen to this guy.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby pask2155 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:59 pm

yup I agree with MIKES919... Go with a champ eagle 175... And when you can throw that thing on a line 300-350 consistently then move up...

I was stubborn as a bull and wouldn't listen at first as well to the advice here, but man when i got an eagle and got my technique down a bit (And it's still far from even good) I was able to then go back to a nuke and I gained on it! So if you ask me... I say get an eagle... I like them better then teebirds...
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby ratchet » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:36 pm

Sincerely appreciate the advice, fellas! We'll see how it goes stepping down to a driver I can control better.
ratchet
Noob

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:57 am

If you're gonna go Eagle I'd recommend DX or two with a 170ish star for more stable duty.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby victorb » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:10 am

pask2155 wrote:yup I agree with MIKES919...

Yes, mikes919 gave excellent advice.

Go with a champ eagle 175...

I disagree here, a champ eagle in that weight would be far too overstable to learn any valuable skills with at his level. Something like a dx eagle in the 165 range, or a similar weight of an x cyclone, dx gazelle, or dx teebird would probably be a better suggestion.

And when you can throw that thing on a line 300-350 consistently then move up...

When you can throw a dx eagle in the 350' range, then it's time to move up, but you don't have to. They can be pushed out to 400' if you properly work on it.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Leopard » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:37 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:If you're gonna go Eagle I'd recommend DX or two with a 170ish star for more stable duty.

This guy traded me my most money money money Eagle ever and it's a worn-straight DX
keltik wrote:I think ZAM had the right idea.
dgdave wrote:Listen to ZAM.
jsun3thousand wrote:zam is already in your pants.
i post things at facebook.com/PostID
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby mikes919 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:40 am

Agreed that lighter DX is the way to go. I used to have a 175ish champ eagle that was more overstable than some firebirds. Plus when the DX gets beat you can rotate in a new one.
Flash - Firebird - Teebird - Leopard - Gator - Buzzz - Wizard
mikes919
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Leopard

Postby pask2155 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:55 pm

huh well maybe I got a gem of an eagle then... lol... Mine is is pretty dang consistent and straight... But I can throw further and handle a little more disc...

Either way, I say buy a few, see what you like, but the eagle is an amazing disc... My dx was just way to flippy... but my 175 champ eagle is dead nuts straight at 360-380' about 10' off the ground... But pick up a few, and see what you like, but I would definitely say get into this mold for sure...
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby ratchet » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:55 am

Took a friend's 165g champ teebird out yesterday and absolutely loved it! I've got a star Teebird-L & a star Eagle in the mail now.....really excited to change my game up a bit. Thanks for the advice everyone!
ratchet
Noob

Return to Equipment