The Gospel of the PD

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Gospel of the PD

Postby victorb » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:55 am

turso wrote:I'm not sure he even knows yet. As far as I know he was quite unpleasantly surprised when he found out Innova had been messing around with the C-PD and put it out as a + run, so I imagine he isn't/won't be thrilled.

I missed the discussion on this, but thought I'd ask again anyway.

I just got a merlot cPD this weekend but it's a normal mold, and my ice clear cPD which I had been throwing was a +mold. What can I expect in flight differences, if any? The cPD+ was overstable enough to throw in place of my predator on a lot of shots.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby sunspot » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:35 pm

I wonder if Jussi could/would let another company (Discraft?) mold his discs? I'm sure he has to stick with Innova for contractual reasons, but what if he let his contract run its course and signed with someone else?

It appears that Innova doesn't care which disc they screw up. I'm beginning to wonder if molding the PD like this was intentional. Cue the tin foil hat.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Who owns the molds? It seems that Innova does, since the flight plates are all marked by them.

Has anyone tried contacting Jussi about this?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:50 pm

I asked on the DM facebook page yesterday...silence.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Leopard » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:22 am

Fightingthetide wrote:Who owns the molds? It seems that Innova does, since the flight plates are all marked by them.

Has anyone tried contacting Jussi about this?

I'm willing to bet that the Discmania deal is a little sweeter than Millennium's, but lemme apply an informed guess here.

Discmania owns the model and plastic names, and likely nothing else.
I doubt they have a contractual exclusive on any particular molds; MILL didn't... Innova could've released the OLF under another name with no repercussion. It'd be cool if they DID have any kind of exclusive to mold configs or parts, namely their anhyzer top. But I doubt it. MILL had zero guarantees that Innova would even be molding for them the next day... it was all strongly in Innova's favor. DM might have veto power on new molds, but likely not on individual runs or new configs. MILL rejected protos yet bought (instead of rejecting) the SOS run.

tl;dr - DM is at the mercy of Innova
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby jubuttib » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:58 am

discspeed wrote:BTW, meantime my GL Villain is behaving like a really sweet PD and I'm betting I didn't just get lucky and get a good one.
You get lucky every time you don't end up with a bad Latitude disc.

Well that's not really fair, but their consistency has been appalling, even after they said they'd fixed the problems...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby turso » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:49 am

Has it? I have not noticed the same.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:13 am

jubuttib wrote:
discspeed wrote:BTW, meantime my GL Villain is behaving like a really sweet PD and I'm betting I didn't just get lucky and get a good one.
You get lucky every time you don't end up with a bad Latitude disc.

Well that's not really fair, but their consistency has been appalling, even after they said they'd fixed the problems...

They send all their good discs to the states :lol: .

We get big shipments at CDGS and Lat loves to just send us whole sections of runs...Like 25 pink 169 discs and 25 yellow 175 discs. This is why I'm late to the party on a lot of their molds...I just recognize that we got shit the first time around and I have to wait until we place another order to test. However, when we DO get some good discs we get a lot of them and they are consistent. So far the purplish pink GL Villains are sweet...just a teeny touch of high speed turn and a good gliding fade. They even power down well. I have pink and yellow opaque optos that are nicely overstable without that touch of high speed turn, are a bit faster, and glide less. They pair well together like some SPDs and CPDs.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:58 pm

After a couple of rounds I'm realizing that my Villains/Volts don't really overlap with my fav PDs, in fact my PDs fit pretty perfectly in between.
discspeed

Postby Booter » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:01 pm

i knew u couldnt stay away from pds, they would haunt your dreams.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:13 pm

Yeah...I've got so many nice yellow champystars....The Volt really is like a PD-L.
discspeed

Postby pask2155 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:53 pm

What have you guys noticed is the difference (IF ANY) from the PD to the ORC? They seem the same except the orc may be a touch less HSS, but surely it isn't that much...
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby turso » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:07 am

I only have experience in champ orcs, slightly domey ones. The max weight ones were quite OS out of the box, with flash removed they flew straight with a healthly, bigger than PD fade at the end. Very HSS.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby JR » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:40 am

I heard that some Orcs are good in HSS but the two i have had (one donated away the night LED ace disc in storage) flipped 5 or so degrees and faded pretty much but not much more than the PD. I heard that Orcs had good HSS mostly in the earlier runs and then it is a crap shoot and i got late into the party and got s-curvers instead of straight then healthy fade ones.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:54 am

pask2155 wrote:What have you guys noticed is the difference (IF ANY) from the PD to the ORC? They seem the same except the orc may be a touch less HSS, but surely it isn't that much...

There is a LOT of difference between a PD and an Orc. For starters, the Orc is faster with a wider/more flattened wing. This makes it longer and definitely a distance driver rather than a tweener like the PD. Also, Orcs are absolute crap in the wind. I never understood how such a nice flying disc in calm that has a stabilizer on the wing could dump so hard in a headwind, but they do. Even the older more HSS Orcs would flip quickly in a headwind, even if I couldn't turn them at all in calm conditions. Not only do they lack the HSS of the PD, but when they do turn they turn fast and fade late. In contrast the PD is one of the most wind resistant disc I've used, especially considering it's not that overstable. The PD likes to fly flat and straight into the teeth of the wind, and when it does turn you can know it will come back...It's very predictable in that regard. Finally, the Orc is more power hungry than the PD due to it's wider rim.

In conclusion, the PD is a verstatile control driver for all conditions. The Orc is a distance driver that booms as long as there is no head/crosswind.
discspeed

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment