How to throw max distance with boobs?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: How to throw max distance with boobs?

Postby JHern » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:01 pm

I fear DGR is a sausage fest. Go instead to discgolf4women.com and/or join the discgolf4women Facebook page, there are tons of lady disc golfers who could give you a lot of feedback, and they discuss things like this all the time (Valarie Jenkins is the top commenter).
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby brittwink » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:34 pm

JHern wrote:I fear DGR is a sausage fest. Go instead to discgolf4women.com and/or join the discgolf4women Facebook page, there are tons of lady disc golfers who could give you a lot of feedback, and they discuss things like this all the time (Valarie Jenkins is the top commenter).

Good plan... I feared this would happen when I posted this, but I was trying to be optimistic haha
brittwink
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby money 21 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:35 pm

towards the end of the discraft anhyzer clip there are a couple throws from sarah Demar looks like she shortens her reach back and goes out in front.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Leopard » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:06 pm

thanks JHern the first page was just riddled with sexist remarks, it's so helpful that you were able to whiteknight such a dire imaginary situation.

obviously the women's forum is gonna be a great resource for this specific topic. still some of the best posters on this forum gave valuable input. nobody reads JR's posts but otherwise i didn't see any misbehavior here.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby brittwink » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:37 pm

Leopard wrote:thanks JHern the first page was just riddled with sexist remarks, it's so helpful that you were able to whiteknight such a dire imaginary situation.

obviously the women's forum is gonna be a great resource for this specific topic. still some of the best posters on this forum gave valuable input. nobody reads JR's posts but otherwise i didn't see any misbehavior here.

I must say I'm very proud of everyone for leaving the sexist behavior off this thread. Thanks for that. And I read JR's posts... well like half of them. Sometimes I have TLDR syndrome
brittwink
Noob

Postby discspeed » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:40 am

My wife is only about 5', and let's just say you wouldn't want to get her bra size letter as a grade on a test. Anyway, she pulls above and throws flat to anhyzer most the time. Personally I think it's better to learn to throw close to flat/anhyzer because the amount of flip on a hyzer is just another variable to try and control. Also, you disc choices are much more limited if you need discs that are going to come up or up and over from hyzer for you.

BTW, I don't think it's sexist to say that this thread combines my two favorite things(and this RARELY, if ever, happens). :oops:
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby discspeed » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:22 am

Here's a slow motion video of Val's drive from the 2010 Worlds. BTW, the next related video that comes up after it is done is at my home course...
http://www.discgolfvids.com/videos/120/val-jenkins-drive-slow-mo-2010-pdga-pro-worlds
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby JHern » Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:19 pm

Leopard wrote:thanks JHern the first page was just riddled with sexist remarks, it's so helpful that you were able to whiteknight such a dire imaginary situation.

By "sausage fest" I was only pointing out that none of us have boobs (that I know about, anyways), and throwing with them is probably more complicated than we can know. On the other hand, there is a fantastic resource where women discuss this kind of thing, so I recommended it.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:25 am

brittwink wrote:
keltik wrote:how far are you throwing max now?

Depends on conditions. If it's serene outside with no wind and I rip it as hard as I can I probably get about 350 ft (mind you, I don't throw any fast drivers, cause I don't have the arm for them yet. Mainly my Saint, Valkyrie and PD are the fastest discs I throw)

That is a respectable distance regardless of the gender so well done! Equipment wise the only way to get more reliable distance is to throw lighter and/or faster discs which requires hand and finger strength and dexterity training. A light Zero G Quasar probably in 130s should be the most controllable fast disc because it has a fairly low power requirement thanks to the slowly onsetting minor fade. But the order to try dics IMO is to first see what the Sidewinder and the Beast do. They are so much easier to thorw and forgiving of powering down or getting tired.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jeronimo » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:28 pm

discspeed wrote:My wife is only about 5', and let's just say you wouldn't want to get her bra size letter as a grade on a test. Anyway, she pulls above and throws flat to anhyzer most the time. Personally I think it's better to learn to throw close to flat/anhyzer because the amount of flip on a hyzer is just another variable to try and control. Also, you disc choices are much more limited if you need discs that are going to come up or up and over from hyzer for you.

BTW, I don't think it's sexist to say that this thread combines my two favorite things(and this RARELY, if ever, happens). :oops:

Pic's or it didn't happen...

brittwink wrote:

Depends on conditions. If it's serene outside with no wind and I rip it as hard as I can I probably get about 350 ft (mind you, I don't throw any fast drivers, cause I don't have the arm for them yet. Mainly my Saint, Valkyrie and PD are the fastest discs I throw)

Yeah, if you're pulling 350' you're going to have to record yourself because you're pretty clearly already leveraging the disc well. It's down to nuances at this point.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby brittwink » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:24 pm

JR wrote:
brittwink wrote:

That is a respectable distance regardless of the gender so well done! Equipment wise the only way to get more reliable distance is to throw lighter and/or faster discs which requires hand and finger strength and dexterity training. A light Zero G Quasar probably in 130s should be the most controllable fast disc because it has a fairly low power requirement thanks to the slowly onsetting minor fade. But the order to try dics IMO is to first see what the Sidewinder and the Beast do. They are so much easier to thorw and forgiving of powering down or getting tired.

See I'm just trying to get away from the light discs, because it's pretty windy in Texas, and it's hard enough getting the understable 160's I throw to act right. This is why I'd rather fix my form than keep the form I have and buy lighter discs.
brittwink
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:49 pm

See I'm just trying to get away from the light discs, because it's pretty windy in Texas, and it's hard enough getting the understable 160's I throw to act right. This is why I'd rather fix my form than keep the form I have and buy lighter discs.

I agree with sticking to more standard weights if possible, e.g. 160-169g vs. anything under 155g or so. while there might be a bit more max distance potential from lighter models, the consistency and accuracy just won't be there in the long run. trading 30' of distance for 20% shot execution and 20' of accuracy is generally a bad trade off.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Star Shark » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:09 am

Another good disc for superlong distance is the Dominator. The one I threw was just a bit more stable than a Valk, not quite as stable as an SL. I threw a 166g Champ, btw.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby JR » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:37 am

My 175 Dominator has a way higher power requirement than my Star 175 Valk that is the most power hungry Valk i own so i think the Dominator is too much of a disc for her.

I agree about the wind performance limiting the usefulness of light discs so that limits the fast discs usability to only for calm moments if you ever get those in TX. And for normal use heavier discs are a must.

At her power level something like a PD is a great wind beater even at 168-170. S-Line for rocky courses and P for a straighter finish and more distance when new and eventually breaking into flipping some. The PD is like a Valk on steroids for wind handling. But C Lines fade harder so i'd stay away from those.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby brittwink » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:42 am

JR wrote:My 175 Dominator has a way higher power requirement than my Star 175 Valk that is the most power hungry Valk i own so i think the Dominator is too much of a disc for her.

I agree about the wind performance limiting the usefulness of light discs so that limits the fast discs usability to only for calm moments if you ever get those in TX. And for normal use heavier discs are a must.

At her power level something like a PD is a great wind beater even at 168-170. S-Line for rocky courses and P for a straighter finish and more distance when new and eventually breaking into flipping some. The PD is like a Valk on steroids for wind handling. But C Lines fade harder so i'd stay away from those.

I have an S-line PD and I really love it. It tends to be my go-to disc on semi-windy days, and I believe it's a 179, so manageable for me. On super windy days I throw my Trident and Predator.
brittwink
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Technique