Really new to the game, need help.

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Really new to the game, need help.

Postby JonathanNY » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:11 pm

I started right at the end of August. I played with mostly putters and mids until a few weeks ago. Then I started to add in steps, I somehow developed really nasty OAT. Today in the field I fixed it for the most part and I had my buddy film me so I could get some more help. I know I'm going pretty slow, but that's because if I go any faster I lose control, I just need more practice. For the most part, the discs all went roughly where I was throwing them. I don't know exactly how far they went, roughly 200' - 270'. Most were probably clumped in the 220ish range. (I used the stride distance calculator and googles conversion of fraction of miles to feet so not super accurate). This is only a few throws. I didn't want to post 3 minutes of me throwing 20 discs.

http://youtu.be/MakBYxtKIUk

If at all possible I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong, what I'm doing right and what I need to do (not necessarily in that order).

Things I already know:

I think I need to take bigger strides, which is part of going faster.

I think I need another step in there, Left, Right, Left (behind right) Right (plant foot) is that correct?

I know I need to pivot on my heel, I just found this out and I'm not sure how to get that to be natural. I busted a lace today pivoting on the front of my foot, I need to get some waterproof shoes for winter!

I know you guys are observant and before someone thinks (or mentions) the grip bag. No I don't like to waste money, I just happen to have a girlfriend who wanted to spoil me for my birthday. When I asked why she spent so much she replied "I did some research and it seemed like it was one of the best, it has a lifetime warranty!". What am I going to do, say no? ;)

Anyways, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!
JonathanNY
Noob

Favorite Disc: MVP Medium Anode

Re: Really new to the game, need help.

Postby iacas » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:59 pm

Have you read the "secret technique" thread?

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... hp?t=19220
Erik from Erie, PA • PDGA #55398

Erie Disc Golf on FacebookOn the Web
iacas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Volt

Postby allsport1313 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:59 pm

JonathanNY wrote:I know you guys are observant and before someone thinks (or mentions) the grip bag. No I don't like to waste money, I just happen to have a girlfriend who wanted to spoil me for my birthday. When I asked why she spent so much she replied "I did some research and it seemed like it was one of the best, it has a lifetime warranty!". What am I going to do, say no? ;)

Wow, I do believe you found a keeper :lol:
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby cubeofsoup » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:53 pm

Check out the this thread:http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9959 for info on how to develop the throw from the release or "hit" and then add the other parts. It will give you some great info on the stages of the throw.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:07 am

Welcome and keep her!!!! :-D

You are doing surprisingly much right so your form is exceptionally good given the time you've spent in this sport. Have you come across the terms pause and elbow forward? Mountains have been written on those so i'd search with those terms. The short version is that the body turns from maximum reach back in two separate 90 degree parts so that you face the target. The first part comes incidentally from the x step. And the arm doesn't need to necessarily move at all or not much because the legs bring automatically to the left side of the body. Then the legs take things easier powering wise as you plant the plant step and the arm starts to move to the right pec position (another term for a search). The elbow ends up leading the body being the closest part of the body to the target and the disc being around your right side. That is where the pause ends. From there you push hard with the left leg back to front and twist the hips right and turn the shoulders even farther and concentrating on this chop the elbow straight fast. That requires loose arm muscles the looser the better so yawn and shake the arm as if it were a cooked spaghetti string before throwing and imitate that looseness. When you start to straighten the elbow pinch hard with the index finger and the thumb possibly even with the middle finger. The timing varies from person to person so experimenting with an earlier command to pinch and a later one should show you how you throw the farthest. From the right pec position plus minus something that you need to try accelerate the arm forward at the target fast. Now you're loosey goosey which is great for at your distance because eventually that will turn out to be approach throws for you.

I think your x step is just fine much of the time. You did loose balance tilting to the right at times so i'd tighten up the right leg and core muscles so that you don't tilt unnecessarily. That is the key to maintaining balance at faster stepping speeds too so it is mandatory to make that change.

The arm follow through needs to be in the same plane as the arm was moving at prior to the rip. The thumb needs to turn down counter clockwise from the shoulder socket turning the entire arm very quickly right after the disc rips out so that the shoulder blade doesn't collide with the back muscles shortening the reach back. Which robs power and causes a jerking movement just as the disc is about to rip out of the fingers. It's weird but the root of the problem happens when the disc is in the hand when the shoulder blade may not yet be in a collision. A thumb up follow through often flips the disc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JonathanNY » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:49 am

Thank you for all the replies folks!

First and foremost, yes she is a keeper ;)

I'm definitely going to give those articles a thorough reading, I'm at work right now but look forward to the research.

I've done some reading and watched some videos but this is the first time I've heard of gripping hard on the disc before release. What does this accomplish? Am I opening my hand like I'm throwing a ball to release or is the disc suppose to force it's way out? If it's the latter that's really confusing, with four fingers and a thumb on the disc I can't see it coming out! I apologize for my ignorance :)

Thanks again!
JonathanNY
Noob

Postby turso » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:39 am

You'd be the first human in the world to hold on to a disc when thrown properly if your grip strength and rest of your muscles are proportionate to each other. :)

So yeah, grip as hard as you can, it won't mind.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby JonathanNY » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:48 am

turso wrote:You'd be the first human in the world to hold on to a disc when thrown properly if your grip strength and rest of your muscles are proportionate to each other. :)

So yeah, grip as hard as you can, it won't mind.

lol point taken! It just seems like a bizarre concept. My brain is wired from years of throwing balls to release, it's going to take some work! Back to the field this weekend.
JonathanNY
Noob

Postby cubeofsoup » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:00 pm

Here is picture proof of the grip thing: check out his hand, it's way after release and it still looks like he is trying to hold onto the disc.

cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:24 pm

take special not of how he is leaning forward and his right knee is bent.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Return to Video Critique