the least changed most changed bag in the world

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: the least changed most changed bag in the world

Postby disc junkie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:06 pm

ESP Zones in the 160's are perfect for what you speak of. I throw a 166 and its the bees knees. I dont like heavy zones. Too piggy
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby victorb » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:49 am

disc junkie wrote:ESP Zones in the 160's are perfect for what you speak of. I throw a 166 and its the bees knees. I dont like heavy zones. Too piggy

I think this time I'm going to solve the problem by not buying something that I probably don't need :mrgreen:
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby victorb » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:54 pm

Considering moving back to a comet/pain + gator combo. Breaking the best beat in roc I've had last month really shook my world about using beat in baseline plastic discs. Maybe even give an axis/pain combo a shot.

Maybe I'm just being a worry wort and I don't have anything to worry about, but it certainly makes you think when a disc that has so much wear on it, when you depend on it for a lot of shots, breaks on a not very hard throw...
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:26 pm

Even if you switch to Pain/Comet or something similar, you won't have an understable mid. Unless you beat in an X Comet. Even still, I personally would feel so restricted with that setup because the lack of a mid you can release hyzer and trust that it will still finish somewhat straight.

I used to have some GL Fuses that would flip from hyzer. Those could be an option to replace a beat Roc. Pain/Fuse/Comet sounds versatile enough to me, but some would call Fuse and Comet overlap.

You know, thinking about it, is it just old ways of thinking that say you should stick with base plastic mids? If you can get a mid that will rarely if ever change, and you can pick one off the shelf and know what it will fly like, why wouldn't you?

That being said, I'm probably sticking with DX Rocs and adding Comets as a means of learning better throwing mechanics.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby victorb » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:35 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:Even if you switch to Pain/Comet or something similar, you won't have an understable mid. Unless you beat in an X Comet. Even still, I personally would feel so restricted with that setup because the lack of a mid you can release hyzer and trust that it will still finish somewhat straight.

X Comets are great understable mids. Easy to come by too. I still have a fairly worn in one. Wouldn't carry a comet that didn't turn - no disc does the sweeping turnover/anhyzer better IMO.

Comets excel at finishing straight - or whatever line you want them to finish on. Even a long sweeping hyzer. I threw them as my primary mid for a couple of years so after a few weeks throwing them I'd probably be just as comfortable with them as with Rocs. But, I'll probably just stick to Rocs since cycling them is super easy and they are obviously even easier to find.

I think I'm just trying to talk myself into something different because I've struggled most of the year compared to before my boy was born. Really I probably just have to accept the facts that my game isn't going to be quite as sharp since I don't get much practice compared to what I was used to!

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BLURR » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:23 am

victorb wrote:I think I'm just trying to talk myself into something different because I've struggled most of the year compared to before my boy was born. Really I probably just have to accept the facts that my game isn't going to be quite as sharp since I don't get much practice compared to what I was used to!

For most disc golfers with kids, truer words have never been spoken.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby dgdave » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:03 pm

Yup, but now my game is back on an upswing since both my boys enjoy it and my wife likes to walk with us.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby victorb » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:52 am

He loves going outside an being at the park, in fact I got about 12 holes in after I picked him up from daycare, before it got dark on Thursday. It's just getting a little cold most days to bring him out for a round, and I really feel bad when I go out and play and he and my wife aren't able to go, especially since she just got released to play after ACL surgery a few weeks ago, and she's really itching to play again. I think it will get easier next spring when he's a little older! Right now, it's tough for all of us, even Braylon, because he loves being outside too :)

I changed my setup anyway, putting Comets in as my primary mid (again). So I have 1 x comet, 1 beat z comet, and 1 new esp comet, along with a KC Roc and a champ gator. I threw them really well, so maybe I'll roll with it for the winter. Who knows. I know that PDs, FDs, predators, and challengers are as good as set - now I just need to figure out if I really want to go with the premium plastic mid route. If I do, I could see myself throwing cMD2s with sMD2s, and a compliment of a gator or something.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:22 pm

I saw that you used to throw Flows next to Teebirds. What did you like/dislike about them? Any reason they aren't in your bag now?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby victorb » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:25 am

Fightingthetide wrote:I saw that you used to throw Flows next to Teebirds. What did you like/dislike about them? Any reason they aren't in your bag now?

The Flows or the teebirds? I didn't like the Flows simply because I felt like they were too unpredictable at the time - in terms of flight variance from disc to disc and between plastics. They may be better now, but I'm too hesitant to pick up and really fast drivers just because I'm not good at throwing them.

The teebirds were moved out in favor of PDs and FDs, which I like throwing quite a bit.

I've actually decided to go with the premium plastic route for my midranges for the time being. I picked up a Proton Vector, along with one of each of eclipse, neutron, and proton axis. For now I'll team them up with my beat x and beat z comets to cover my midrange duties. Kind of hoping this will spark my game a little bit. It probably won't but I haven't ventured out and thrown new midrange molds in a really long time so at least it will be fun to use them over the winter. Wanted to try the Buzzz kool-aid, but too many plastic choices and too many other discs to potentially compliment it kept me away; so did the dark colors for the Ti plastic.

Winter Lineup:
Drivers:
165 cDD2 blizzard
175 cPD - mini-predator. throw this one a lot.
175 sPD - one to beat in
175 sPD - one to keep fresh, backup
175 pPD - worn in, will turn from a flat throw and hold
175 pPD - new
171 Z Predator - old dependable. been throwing this same pred for a few years now, still nicely overstable.
173 Z Predator - mainly for sidearms or skip shots, flat and very overstable.
175 sFD - worn in, long turnovers and rollers.
175 sFD - fresh. might try out a cFD in this slot.

Midranges:
175 proton Vector, new - hoping this is pretty darn overstable.
176 eclipse axis
176 proton axis
175 neutron axis
175 z comet, well worn in
176 x comet, super beat

Putters
174 soft X Challenger
176 Medium Summit
174 D Challenger
174 D Challenger

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby victorb » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:04 am

Premium plastic mids aren't happening, at least with the MVP stuff. If I wanted to throw my mids as hard as my drivers, I'd just throw a driver. The power requirements for those discs is just silly, especially for the courses I frequent.

I am, however, considering adding a wraith or something similar back to the bag for distance. The DD2 is super long when I actually hit it right, but that's maybe 3 out of 10 throws.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mattw » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:48 pm

What about using a different premium plastic combo. I use a Z Wasp and Z,X Comets for my mids. I like Rocs alot but with two kids I dont have the time to properly cycle discs for stages of wear.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby victorb » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:24 am

mattw wrote:What about using a different premium plastic combo. I use a Z Wasp and Z,X Comets for my mids. I like Rocs alot but with two kids I dont have the time to properly cycle discs for stages of wear.

Seriously thought about doing wasp/comet or buzzz/comet. I would probably prefer wasp/comet since I'm so accustomed to throwing a disc with a bead, but don't know how consistent they are between plastics and runs, especially the Ti stuff since it's so new.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mattw » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:16 pm

I have been sticking with Z not a huge fan of the TI plastic. Mine are newer runs and I find them to be a little more beefy than the Buzzzes I have thrown. For me the transition between the rim on the Comet and the rim on the Wasp feels better. I found that with the Wasp and Comet I didnt need the Buzzz in the bag.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby BLURR » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:11 am

I have a pair of Z-Wasp's for sale in the closet still. Sitting next to those Comet's you were looking at ;-)

I would go Wasp/Comet if you are looking to go premium plastic for your mid's.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion