Roadrunner Champion

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Roadrunner Champion

Postby rodman » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:16 am

I just purchased the Roadrunner and havent had a chance to throw it yet. If you look at Joe's universal flight chart it seems to have all the characteristics that I want in a driver. It has a -2.5 rating in hss, 1 in lss and 3 in needed power. Those seem to fit my skill and need perfectly.

My question is what will I find when i sling this thing the first time? Is it a great distance driver. Do you find that it is a driver you can throttle down to 80% with and be very accurate?
rodman
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:42 am

I find the roadrunner to be a pretty flippy disc but if I tone it down I can get pretty pinpoint with it. I don't use one because I carry a sidewinder and I can put a little more muscle into it without worrying about it flipping over as much. It is definitely a good disc for someone who can't get a ton of snap but still wants a hyzer flip or for holding long annie lines.

They do make killer rollers.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Roadrunner

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:20 pm

I just got a Roadrunner.

I saw Rusty, a guy I was playing with at Owen Park in Dallas. He threw the most beautiful roller. The disc was fast, flew a long way, and slowly knifed down to the turf, rolled a long way.

After that I had to have one. First throw was like a repeat of the one I had witnessed. Awesome roller...
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Blake_T » Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:02 pm

roadrunners are generally fairly stable until the first tree hit.

after that tree hit they fly how they were "designed" which is more like a dx leopard.

it's not particularly long but it's really the first champ disc that is designed to turn and hold that turn for its entire flight.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Jwt4412 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:52 pm

I don't have a big arm and this is the disc I can get my best distance with...

Now that I have my steps down and with this disc I can reach for a shot at duece on almost all of the reds on my home course.

I get a full 30' farther than my Trackers and my Illusions with the Roadrunners.

As my form gets better, I know {I am hoping} that will change...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby DiscCrusher » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:37 am

I love the roadrunner, To me it's way better than a sidewinder because it it will hold it's turn pretty much till the ground, though I wouldn't say it is more highspeed understable, it just doesn't have any fade. As Blake said it is very similar to a leapord which I also really like.

Oh yeah and it is an awesome roller disc. I finaly birdied a 427' hole after getting this disc that I had never birdied before in 2 1/2 years. I set it down to roll less than 100' out and to the right and it just imediately heads left for 200' and finishes straight out for the last 100'. I love it.
DiscCrusher
Noob

Roadrunner performing

Postby rodman » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:06 pm

Well, I should come back to this thread and give an update on me and my relationship with my roadrunner. It's a love affair. I can throw it between 7-15 feet off the ground and it'll travel with a slight movement to the right and finish back to the left at the end but only slightly. I'm getting 280-330 feet from it and It is incredibly dependable. I've hit 3 or 4 trees really hard and havent seen a huge change in it's flight characteristics yet.

This is one awsome disc for my style plus I'm playing at a very very narrow course so that straightish s curve is very helpful. I go back and forth from the road runner, the tee bird L and my leopard off the tee depending on the shape and distance of the hole. It's definetly the longest and straightest in my bag right now.
rodman
Noob

roadrunner

Postby twmccoy » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:03 pm

I tried a roadrunner for the first time last week and was getting some huge rips from it. It is fairly flippy, but a slight hyzer release will keep it flying flat. To me this disc flew exactly like a sidewinder. Good disc, but I wonder why innova makes it and the sidewinder. the stability and the flight are the same.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby discmonkey42 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:26 pm

I used to carry both. I used the sidewinder for long burns that I needed to straighten and maybe fade a little at the end. The roadrunner I could get to turn much later in its flight and was awesome for long tunnels in the woods that had a slight turn at the end. Also, when throwing rollers, my roadrunner curled right at the end and the Sidewinder curled left. Both pretty reliably. You are right, though, with practice you could definitely just use either but not both.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Question on changing flight characteristics

Postby rodman » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:36 am

I know that the more the Dx plastic takes tree abuse the more it tends to turn left.... am I right about this?

Next question: I also remember reading that champion plastic also changes a bit but probably less than DX. I have hit several trees with some of my Champion plastic and am not seeing any change in flight yet. IF they will indeed get "broken in" and flippy then I'll need to keep a good number of those champion discs on hand because i love their current flight pattern.

Thanks
rodman
Noob

Re: Question on changing flight characteristics

Postby garublador » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:12 am

rodman wrote:IF they will indeed get "broken in" and flippy then I'll need to keep a good number of those champion discs on hand because i love their current flight pattern.

Don't let Blake here you say that. ;) I know he's a big proponent of judging discs in their broken in state rather than their new state and I agree. Why judge a disc based on the state it will be in for the least amount of time? As discs break in they do get more understable, but they also get longer and easier to control.

That being said, the high end discs tend to take a very long time to change much.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:36 am

Rod, are you left handed? DX and pro D start to turn right as you beat them in. They also get longer. Z plastic lasts forever. I have a z xs that is pretty similar to what it was when new (it has been into trees, cactus, and gone swimming).

Also, z and I guess champion, will often come back if you turn them over. Dx and D help you learn more about the disc.

For me, it was financial; I used z because I couldn't afford to replace the lower end plastic. Now that I'm older, I've gone to x and Innova pro plastic. It seems to last a long time, feels better to me, and is longer.

Their are some discs where I like the z version better (flash, xpress, and predator), but for the most part of gone to primarily x. Also, I have 2 z mids because I seem to hit many trees with them. Still, I plan to purchase one in pro d.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Aged like wine

Postby rodman » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:28 am

Nope, I'm a righty. I thought the DX aged and turned left. Thanks for clearing that up.
rodman
Noob

Return to Equipment