Steve Dodge: A man for change!

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Steve Dodge: A man for change!

Postby jsun3thousand » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:44 pm

JHern wrote:
keltik wrote:...yeah we're in a recession...

jhern is a commie! a traitor to our nation!
Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc

Favorite Disc: #63

Postby keltik » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:28 am

he is from the left coast...
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby vtbuzzz » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:35 am

I think a way to grow our sport would be let the Europeans grow it in their country first. Where disc golf isn't some "hippie" sport full of stoners. They may be able to pull it into the mainstream a little more easier than we are able to do so on this side of the pond.
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JR » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:00 am

Percentage wise Europe has great growth but it isn't so impressive by head count because there are too few players now so it will take years before we get enough players to pull that off. Finland is the second largest country in the world player count wise with around 30000+ somewhat regularly playing people and 20000 more that have tried the sport or play a few times a year. Sweden is at 30000 tops and Germany has 3000 with southern Europe combined probably less than Germany. Holland might have a thousand players but i am not sure. The UK probably has decent numbers of players but short of Sweden that probably is the third largest country player wise in the world. I think the rest of the world has fewer players combined than the US. At 20-50% growth rate in some countries annually it will still take a lot of time to grow the rest of the world to be a financially sensible group to market to and to expect more revenue from the invested marketing dollar.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:38 pm

Here are the number of PDGA members in each country who have ever had a rating (whether current or not today) and their current average rating:

Rtg Country Mem
881 USA 34584
898 Finland 746
883 Canada 594
923 Sweden 507
880 Japan 224
868 Norway 209
896 Germany 178
883 Denmark 159
877 Untd King 152
858 France 145
861 Switzerland 96
867 Australia 77
860 Netherlands 59
881 Belgium 49
900 Taiwan 44
887 Austria 38
910 New Zealand 27
851 Estonia 27
838 Lithuania 20
828 Russia 17
871 Czech Rep. 16
806 Italy 10
851 Iceland 10
843 South Korea 9
900 Hungary 9
827 Latvia 5
867 Israel 4
860 Croatia 4
919 Thailand 3
861 Singapore 2
832 Mexico 2
965 Poland 1
653 Mongolia 1
930 Ireland 1
892 Hong Kong 1
984 China 1
914 Cayman Isl 1
972 Brazil 1
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby neuromancer » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:49 pm

i like steve, vibram discs are the shizzle man, the shizzle, but this discussion is not about steve dodge.

suppose i drive 400 miles round trip to a tournament. 20 mpg. that's 20 gallons of gas x $3.50 we're at $70.
$90 to play pro, $160.
2 nights motel, another $120, we're up to $280. not even talking food and drink, lost discs, flat tire, let alone a vehicle breakdown.
why would any but the top players want to travel to a tournament? unless it's to party? and we've seen what a good reputation that has given the sport.

what chance is there even if you get into the money you will even break even?
what percentage of players can throw 450 feet? consistently? i can't.
if you want to grow the sport make it so people can compete, give them a chance to at least break even.
stop dreaming and start thinking, do you think when Tiger woods is playing a tournament he is having "fun"? hell no. he's working.
the standard wisdom is that when you make courses harder, longer, etc. you are making them more "competitive", nothing could be further from the truth; when you restrict the field to long throwers by having 700' pins you are restricting the field to a small handful of players who can throw that far, you are limiting the field of competition. therefore you have less competition.of course the big guns love it, it's all about distance, not necessarily control of a flying disc.

there are tons of reasons why disc will always be limited, course length, not necessarily course difficulty being the main one.
put the blame where it belongs, at the door of the PDGA, they didn't restrict wing length, they haven't restricted course length, and now the cat is out of the bag.

nah, there won't be any savior, not since wham-o pulled out of the sport 30 years ago. if we want to grow disc golf we will have to do it ourselves, and that means making the sport attractive to the mainstream and not a minority of players.
neuromancer
Noob

Favorite Disc: ridge

Postby JHern » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Here are the number of PDGA members in each country who have ever had a rating (whether current or not today) and their current average rating:...

Interesting...

jsun3thousand wrote:jhern is a commie! a traitor to our nation!

Why? Because I want the free market to function better, and be more vigorous and competitive? Because I don't think it's a good idea when we let those who are ahead in the game change the rules to benefit themselves? That makes me a rational human being, not a commie.

keltik wrote:he is from the left coast...

Yeah, the left coast, where jobs come from.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:43 am

The numbers for Finland are interesting because Finnish Frisbee Association licensed players (we need that too for some events) is at around 1200 now. BTW. i'm one of the no rating PDGA members. I'm too busy on the organizer side and too streaky without taking too long time off. Meaning lost pay making competing too expensive for me. For not so enjoyable results because with a 4-5 day rest i still may be too streaky especially in multi round events. I'm sure there are similar stories in part at least explaining why so few have ratings relative to the amount of players. But the fact that there are almost as many licensed FFA members as there are PDGA ratings holders throughout time is troublesome for the PDGA. That is a very large mismatch so why is the PDGA membership not that attractive to so many ostensibly competition players here? I don't know about the other countries.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to General Discussion