Christmas discs for dad

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Christmas discs for dad

Postby brittwink » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:31 am

Ok here's the thing. I want to buy my dad 4-5 discs for Christmas, and I want to do a dye for each Avenger on the discs (he's a comic book nerd). However, I need help deciding what to get him. All he's requested is a stable mid; other than that he's left it to me. He's not a very powerful player; he only throws maybe 250- 300' Max with any driver, so I don't want to get him anything over a speed 9-10. And since he lives in east Texas, wind is an issue, so I want to get him some stable/slightly overstable drivers in easy-to-throw plastic. Any thoughts on what to do?
brittwink
Noob

Favorite Disc: Axis

Re: Christmas discs for dad

Postby brittwink » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:59 am

And in case anyone is curious as to what he already has; I honestly don't really know all that's in his bag, and I don't want to ask him because I want it to be a surprise. I know he putts with Aviars, loves Stingrays, and has at least one Valkyrie; I know he tends to throw Innova because that's all he really knows, so any foreign disc or even discraft disc hasn't probably made it into his bag. We have lots of Millenniums at our local academy, so he may own a few of those as well. He's requested a Leopard, but other than that I'm in the dark. He want an orc or a viking, I just think those might be too much disc for him right now. He also mentioned a Dragon, so I might get him one of those; it's just so understable I don't know if he'll be happy with it
brittwink
Noob

Postby turso » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:29 pm

Dragon comes only in DX which you can't dye. Only Champ and Star plastics from Innova take dye(pro takes some, but VERY poorly). And yeah you'd be right about Orc and Viking being too much of a disc. Maybe a lightweight S-line PD, should work well after some beating in to get rid of the initial stability. Leopard's a great choice too.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby keltik » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:35 pm

how old is your dad?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby brittwink » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:11 pm

keltik wrote:how old is your dad?

He's 52
brittwink
Noob

Postby money 21 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:08 pm

if he like stingrays get him a super stingray, may be a rhyno for the windy putts, a banshee for the wind as well, and a mamba easy distance.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby eric40817 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:13 pm

If you dont go with the Volt like you said, a gold GL Saint, River or Fuse would be good. The Gold color that Lat64 has would make that batman logo look sweet. or the steel blue color for Capt America's shield. If he likes discrafts, the comet is pretty solid mid, or a buzzz
eric40817
Noob

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Postby keltik » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:25 pm

Blizzard discs. the over 50 crowd loves them.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby eric40817 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:02 pm

keltik wrote:Blizzard discs. the over 50 crowd loves them.

Probably not the 50s crowd that often has wind as a factor
eric40817
Noob

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Postby brittwink » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:04 pm

eric40817 wrote:
keltik wrote:Blizzard discs. the over 50 crowd loves them.

Probably not the 50s crowd that often has wind as a factor

True that
brittwink
Noob

Postby allsport1313 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Are you doing the dyes yourself? Because I'm in Texas too and just met the guys at Let It Fly Discs yesterday (they called to return a disc I shanked out to Egypt). They are super cool and they do custom dyes out of Houston I believe!
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby brittwink » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:11 pm

allsport1313 wrote:Are you doing the dyes yourself? Because I'm in Texas too and just met the guys at Let It Fly Discs yesterday (they called to return a disc I shanked out to Egypt). They are super cool and they do custom dyes out of Houston I believe!

I've already asked a friend of mine to do them, but if there's ever a dye that I want and he can't do I'll definitely hit them up! Thanks for the advice
brittwink
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:00 am

Ask the dyer which plastics from each manufacturer he can dye because other plastics than DX is problematic too. For the most intricate art work Champ and Star are probably the safest bets. Super Stingray is probably a good idea at his power. But otherwise the guys have given good suggestions. Here's my devious suggestion: If you have a grass only open area around you get discs that you're interested in after clearing the plastic with the dyer and throw them yourself before giving the discs to be dyed. You both win :-D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby mark12b » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:07 am

Pred/firebird, Gator, Zone
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:05 am

vector, wasp, pain, hornet, star rancho roc for the mid

driver wise maybe a mamba, river, C-FD, or saint. If you want something a little more stable for wind fighting you can get him a champ teebird or eagle which should be plenty stable for someone in that power range.

You should definitely get like a rhyno or zone or something really overstable for the hulk and have it dyed on there. A glow Z Zone with a hulk dye would look banging.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Next

Return to Equipment