changing your putter

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: changing your putter

Postby money 21 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:16 am

I have a green magnet for putting it is the hardest one i could find. I have a pink magnet that is a little softer that i use for putting in the rain. and i carry a soft for the duties that you use your rattler and soft for. I also carry a money putter for wind putting and for throwing spike hyzers. What is amazing to me is that the soft magnets seem to hold up better then the regular d.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby PMantle » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:33 am

I've been using the soft magnet for putting and a firmer disc for all shots longer than what I call a putt, like an Aero. Am I doing it backwards?
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:08 am

PMantle wrote:I've been using the soft magnet for putting and a firmer disc for all shots longer than what I call a putt, like an Aero. Am I doing it backwards?

Not if they go in. :D

If I had to use an Aero or an 86 mold or any domey putter I would go back to Am 4 putting proficiency. The only important standard is that a disc works for you.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:27 am

money 21 wrote: What is amazing to me is that the soft magnets seem to hold up better then the regular d.

Discraft made some SWEET soft Magnets in the early 2000s that were fairly stiff (like Gateway S or SS)...These were my main putters for two years, but by that time it was already like 2008 and those were really hard to find. Newer soft Magnets (at this time, not sure about now) were absolutely disgustingly soft compared to those old ones, and Pro Ds ran pretty stiff, so it kind of forced me to change putters. Those softs were incredibly durable as well...They would not get real beat up from just putting and they lost stability very slow. Over the years every now and then I pick up a Discraft disc and think "whoa" what's up with this plastic? They seem to use some really different stuff from time to time that you only see in a couple runs of discs, and then it's gone forever. I look at Discraft almost with nostalgia now as they have discontinued at least 3-4 of my favorite plastics of all time (old Soft, old stiff Z, original ESP and original DGA proline (I believe those last 2 were almost the same), while debuting some plastics that don't light my fire at all (FLX, Ti).
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby PMantle » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:07 pm

Mark Ellis wrote:If I had to use an Aero or an 86 mold or any domey putter I would go back to Am 4 putting proficiency. The only important standard is that a disc works for you.

I'm too new to understand this, but the Aero(it was given to me) is amazing for me. I guess I use it more like a mid? I don't actually putt with it.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby money 21 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:46 pm

PMantle wrote:
Mark Ellis wrote:If I had to use an Aero or an 86 mold or any domey putter I would go back to Am 4 putting proficiency. The only important standard is that a disc works for you.

I'm too new to understand this, but the Aero(it was given to me) is amazing for me. I guess I use it more like a mid? I don't actually putt with it.

Aero is a great approach disc. I use mine for those 100' tunnel shots, but when the aero came out it was ment to be more of a throwing disc then a putter. I also use my soft magnet for approaches as well. A lot of people myself included don't like to putt with a floppy putter because of an inconsistant release. However soft disc are great for placement shots that you don't want to skip around. Mark is just saying that he doesn't like big domey discs to putt with i beleive. get your self a regular magnet and see if you don't start getting a truer line on your putts.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby PMantle » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks. That makes sense. Putters are something I can actually find here between Academy and Hastings.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby dgdave » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:15 pm

PMantle wrote:Thanks. That makes sense. Putters are something I can actually find here between Academy and Hastings.

Are you in Norman, Okla?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby PMantle » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:39 pm

No, central Louisiana. The courses here are not even 1 year old. Amazing we can even find any discs at all here.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BrotherDave » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:54 pm

I got a Summit so that I would never have to change putters for years. I got tired of base line putters getting nicked and gouged up, it was distracting me from the putts b/c my fingers kept searching for a place on the disc that didn't feel different. Vibrams are built like a tank, I feel like my putter could become an heirloom.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Previous

Return to Equipment