Ferretdance03s bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Ferretdance03s bag

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:17 am

The latest chapter in my continuing saga of disc churn...
L to R, top to bottom
175 Wizard [chains]
172 Seasoned Wiz [straight drives/jump putts]
174 glow Wiz [stable driver]
169 S Magic [approaches, long runs]

177ish DX Rocs x3 [constantly cycled]
180 beat 11X Roc [frozen ropes]

174 seasoned X Predator[stable driver]
172 beat X Pred [straight to slight anny lines]
170 ESP Cyclone[control driver, between Rocs and Preds]
172 Z Flick[trickery, trouble shots, overhands]

172 Champ Wraith [low line drives, sweeping hyzers, long distance]
172 Pro Wraith [big anny lines, tight hyzer flips]
173 thrashed D XL [rollers, sky annys, short/fast hyzer flips]
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby dgdave » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:15 pm

why did you drop the PDs? wanna trade/sell them?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:15 pm

Figures you noticed that! :lol: I took that pic a few weeks ago, but have still been throwing PD's off and on.

My initial thought for pulling them was that it was overlapping with the Predators and Wraiths too much to justify another mold, and it seemed like I was carrying 2 molds (PD/Cyclone) in place of 1 (Pred). I still sorta think I could get by with just an assortment of Predators, but they're not quite as long as the PD and not quite as workable as the Cyclones.

So, to answer questions:
1. I'm not sure I have yet
2. Nope. Not unless you want to trade some 10X Rocs for them. :D

*edit for spelling
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ferretdance03 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:55 am

Immediately after the last picture I put a PD back in the bag, and realized why I like them so much.
I played two solid tourney rounds on Saturday, never felt like I was missing a disc, and I threw everything more than once.
I won Advanced by 2 strokes, so hopefully I can talk myself out of any bag changes for a while, minus cycling of course.

175 M Wizard: putting
169 M Magic: approaches
175 Glow Wiz: putter drives, hyzer approaches

DX Rocs, 180: beat / straight / stable

175 P PD: worn, straight with slight hyzer finish, will hold an anny to the ground
175 P PD: seasoned, still stable, flexes out of an anny
175 S PD: seasoned, dependable fade, big hyzers, flicks, skips
175 Champ Whippet: meat hook, thumbers, grenades, hurricane headwinds

175 D Cyclone: beat, anny fairway drives, tech rollers, short/fast hyzer flips
170 ESP Cyclone: seasoned, straight fairway drives
169 Champ Roadrunner: beat, rollers, huge anny bombs
175 Star Roadrunner: seasoned, long hyzer flips, rollers
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BeSquared » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:00 pm

Congratulations on your recent tournament victory, your bag looks solid, simple and follows the DGR Minimalist standards!
Meh...
BeSquared
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby ferretdance03 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:49 pm

The new chariot:

The steeds in the stable:
Wizards/Polecat/Buzzzes/Stalker/PDs/XXX/Nuke
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:19 am

Nice setup but Buzzes in for rocs, what's that about? I'm quite fond of the PD / Stalker combo, which one is your stalker(s)? I've been pretty curious about the xXx but I've been using cfr/star maxs for stuff like that.

Oh and where did you come off with that revo? I'm looking to snag one of them up myself.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:47 am

The DD knuckle dye is the Stalker. I honestly don't throw it too much, but I like having it for a few specific shots.

Buzzz/Rocs... Meh. I threw Buzzzes long before I ever threw a Roc. I always liked that it felt and flew more like a driver than a mid. The glow Buzzz is stable enough for anything I need it to do. Sometimes I miss the slow hyzerflip of a beat Roc, but the thrashed D Buzzz is similar. We got in a batch of new Rocs and they're just terrible in feel and flight. This prompted my hasty switch, although I have enough backup Rocs I like, you know, one of those tinkering moments.

Bag came from fleabay. I got a fair deal.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jaysus » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:54 am

ferretdance03 wrote:We got in a batch of new Rocs and they're just terrible in feel and flight.

I have been meaning to ask somebody about the last few Rocs I got; I am not a fan of any of them... especially the KC Pro one with the flight ratings on top :(
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ferretdance03 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:52 pm

I'm not convinced it's the Roc+ mold (not entirely positive it's not either) but they damn sure aren't the Rancho I came to know and love. Rounded inside rim, too domey and flip right out of the box. Yuck.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ferretdance03 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:41 pm

This is the first disc switch since my last post in October, mainly due to cabin fever, not getting to the course and sitting here (and reading on dgr) thinking what I could throw in place of what I've been carrying.

I wasn't really in a slump, but I felt a little lackluster in my previous few outings, and Frank said this and got me thinking.
Frank Delicious wrote:If you have the discs for it. Take every disc out of your bag and put all new ones in. Then you have to concentrate on learning the new discs and next thing you know, you've busted your slump and have a stack of discs that you know how they fly.

So here's what I played with today. All these discs/molds have been in my bag at one time or another so it wasn't a completely new experience, but save the Buzzz/Cyclone, I haven't thrown any of these molds in probably at least a year, longer for some. I played fairly well, shot right at my average on my home course.

A few realizations for me:
• I've cleaned up my forehand a lot since the last time I threw a Force, and it really performed today. The ESP is great for a flat/slightly anny release that fights the whole way and finishes with a solid hyzer. The Z is a wind beater for sure.
• I love throwing the Cyclone. I don't know why I go back and forth on carrying it so much, every time I carry it I throw some spectacular frozen rope shots with it.
• The Challenger is a great driving putter. I think it's pretty interchangeable with a Wizard or BB Aviar, but I've been throwing Wizards for so long that I forgot how nice a Challenger is. I think I need to try out a few X Challengers, they're the only version I've not thrown.
• I said it when they announced it, and I'll keep saying it: I hate Discraft for discontinuing X Predators. I think this is their best driver/plastic combo and every time I throw one I wish I had a bigger stack of them.
• Switching from a Sonic to a Rattler is a definite grip adjustment. Forehand touch shots are fine but backhand the rattler kept slipping out early. Luckily it's pretty beat so it would flip and finish right.

ESP Nuke/Z Force/ESP Force
ESP Predator/Z Pred/X Pred
Z XL/Z Buzzz/X Buzzz
ESP Cyclone/Rattler/Supercolor Challenger
Ghost stamped Challenger x2
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ferretdance03 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:55 am

S PD: long and straight, honestly it's only in the bag for nostalgia really.
Star Roadrunner: rollers, quick turning annys, long flex annys
Star Destroyer: seasoned, stands up nicely from a hyzer and penetrates forward as it finishes
Star Destroyer: newish, still over stable enough for my flick and headwind distance drives, great for skips

Z Pred: meat hook
X Pred x 3: Fresh/seasoned/beat, covers all fairway lines

Glow Buzzz: handles low line drives and shallow sweeping hyzers, longer than a Roc but shorter than a Pred
DX Roc: stable to slightly overstable
KC Roc: beat 11X, butter smooth
DX Roc: thrashed

D Challenger x 4: approach and putting duties, the light blues are newly cycled in
ESP Zone: this is what I wanted the Cro to be when it came out. Great for short approaches both bh and fh, sticks when it hits, great for spike hyzer approaches
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ferretdance03 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:29 pm

It's been over a year since I've posted my bag- and surprise of all surprises- it's changed! It's funny how things cycle for me. I'll go for months throwing a disc or mold, and one trip to the "basement of discs" and I inadvertently pick something up and think, "I like the way this feels, why'd I stop throwing it?' So it gets swapped. For whatever reason my OCD keeps me somewhat adherent to mold minimalism. Somewhat- it's a little moldy right now.

So here it is right now.
Yeti Aviar x 4 purple are putters, white and red are throwers. I loved the way the Yeti felt when it came out but felt they were too soft. Recently I decided they weren't, and they've been making their rounds. So far so good.
Z Wasp / X Wasp / Z Buzzz / ESP Comet / X Comet Overstable to understable midranges. Was recently throwing a few more Buzzes in place of the Wasps, and before that a myriad of Rocs, a Ghost, Axis, Vectors, etc. Ehhh, I like throwing midranges, and I like a handful of midrange molds. If someone gave me free ones I guess I'd commit. Until then they cycle.
S TD / P PD / P PD / S PD / S PD Understable to overstable drivers. TD is a great disc, I like it for smooth hyzer flips and gradual turns. Easy to put out there a ways too. Thrashed PD is good for powered down shots, tailwinds and hyzer flips that finish anhyzer. Fresh PPD is wearing in, good for longer distances and hyzer flips that finish hyzer. Worn SPD is my workhorse, straight for days. Fresh SPD is between the worn PD and the FB. Flicks and hyzer shots.
Glow Firebird beef
beat ESP Force / fresher ESP Force Long distance shots, flicks, low lines, reliable headwind distance. Could probably drop them but I have room for now.
DX Sonic / Zephyr Approaches and warm ups. Sonic is for outside jump putt range but short of a Yeti throw. And I love throwing turnover flick approaches with it. I could do without the Zephyr, but it's so much fun to throw.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dgdave » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:58 pm

I do the "ooooh, this feels nice" change a lot. I'm using wizards again for the first time since 08/09
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby ferretdance03 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:20 am

dgdave wrote:I do the "ooooh, this feels nice" change a lot. I'm using wizards again for the first time since 08/09

Haha, that's one of the nostalgia discs for me for sure. I'm still holding on to my favorites, and they always get felt up when I'm in the basement. I've kept them out for a while now though. My favorites were always slightly concave- which by the time a Wiz is concave it's more beat than I want in a putter or overstable approach disc. The Yeti has nicely solved this problem for now, despite my initial reservations about it being too soft. The newer runs are more KC feeling to me and less R Pro. Although it's cooling down here, so I'm waiting to see if my feelings change once it's warm again.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion