Windy windy...

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Windy windy...

Postby pask2155 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:26 pm

So I live in south east michigan and we are having 35mph winds because of the storm off the coast. So a buddy and me decided to go out and do some max D bombing. We shot big annys hooking them up in the wind.

Here's my question... We have never really done this before. We go do field work all the time but our max d drives are always golf drives (so essentially line drives). Normally without wind we can drive 380-400 with the occasional 420+ if we are lucky.

Now here'sy question ... Today with 35mph winds we would shot them Anny the wind would take them way up but when they would flex back they would completely die. Like just drop out of the sky. So for us most of our shots were still just 400' or less. We had only 5 or go to the 450'-480' range. So I was thinking either we are doing something wrong (which very well could be. We have never done this before)... so is it our technique is off or is it that 35mph is just to much wind...
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Re: Windy windy...

Postby keltik » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:36 pm

When throwing with the wind you have to throw high, more like double the height of your normal throws. You also have to get nose down and really turned over. Try a two finger grip. We're getting a lot of wind here in nc too.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby keltik » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:45 am

oh and you'd want to have the wind coming over your left shoulder.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby CatPredator » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:23 am

Like you said, when they flex back, sometimes they just die because the wind hits the top of the disc.

Often times something slower, like a seasoned Teebird, will get me the best distance in a tailwind because it will hold the anhyzer longer and the nose won't come up and expose the top of the disc to the wind. Wide rims have to be crushed in tailwinds that strong to keep the wing up, the nose down, and to achieve any kind of gliding forward fade at the end of the flight.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby JR » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:53 am

A 35 MPH moving disc in 35 mph rear wind makes very little lift=drops like in a vacuum. That's a lucky shot. The more glide you have in the disc the less it drops in low lift conditions. Anny a disc in rear left wind going fast is no low lift condition because the wind starts to push the disc at the very latest when the disc slows down to the same speed as the wind. Normally high throws hit a faster wind zone. No trees blocking the wind and no resistance from the ground means faster wind. I've read that 50' is considered to be the transition height and local experience by the sea shows that even lower than that the winds can certainly push the disc faster than low to the ground. I can't say how things are elsewhere.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby pask2155 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:47 am

So for the world distance record of 842' how windy was it for them? The video makes it look over 30 mph
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:24 pm

not sure but they usually throw in windy conditions.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby kern9787 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:17 pm

pask2155 wrote:So for the world distance record of 842' how windy was it for them? The video makes it look over 30 mph

One thing that helps for that is that they are in the desert, and the heat creates updrafts, rather than just a straight line wind. Those kind of distance records involve a lot of luck in hitting updrafts.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:49 pm

Use the search because i think it was posted here soon after the record was set. I seem to recall a number like 13 meters per second which from hearsay is way less than that of the previous record. When the wind comes from the left rear sometimes the disc gets lifted up when it is at a mild anny flexing. The way i heard the old record was made the wind pushed the disc up in three towering lifts late in the throw.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby cubeofsoup » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:59 am

This is kind of off topic sorry...how far can the big distance pros throw functionally? Lets say we have a shot over water (neutral wind) with a 50ft landing circle, how far could you make that shot and have pros still hit it 90% of the time? 500ft?
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:02 am

I think Wiggins can throw 600 on a line drive. at least that is the rumor. I think there is a video of him doing this at Am Nats the year he won.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby pask2155 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:36 am

Went out again and got some better results... Averaged 470'-480' bombed one 540'! Wind was less though...

As far as none wind line drives I average 380'-400'... So the wind helped... Adding 100' to the average drive. This was in 20mph wind yesterday...
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:43 am

what did you do different?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby pask2155 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:03 am

Kept the nose down and didn't try to throw them very high... We were getting the best results when we only threw them about 20-30' up and the wind would carry them up to 50-70' and then the discs would do a full flight pattern and a huge s curve.

We were throwing big annys and found that the discs that flew best were -1,3 discs. So wraiths, destroyers, bosses, and nukes did best for us. The more over stable discs wouldn't go as far. They would start to fade and die hard and early. The under stable discs like nuke ss or katanas were good but still some didn't come back...

By far the best disc, distance wise, were bosses for sure. Others kept up like wraiths destros and nukes but the longest shots for my and my buddy were with our blizzard bosses. 150g and 134g.
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby cubeofsoup » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:43 am

The latest record was set with a Blizz Boss so that makes sense those were getting you big d.
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Technique