Video game season...recommendations?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Video game season...recommendations?

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:46 pm

AC 3 is pretty good so far...It's got enough cool stuff to help me look past some of the glitches, but it's hard to believe a game this far along in the generation still has some of these issues. For example people just randomly disappear right in front of me, and others just appear out of thin air. The draw of the game is good, but certain features of the environment (like a rock outcrop in front of a building) awkwardly appear when you approach and then vanish when you take a step back. I can't remember the last open world game that had such obvious glitches happening frequently. Also, the AI of the guards/enemies seems worse than ever. I took out a whole squadron of redcoats in a closed area that was guarded by 4 guys that never even turned around as I killed all their buddies like 50' away.

Hopefully some of this stuff gets patched, or maybe I won't notice as much when I'm more immersed (it's hard to become immersed with a 2.5 yr old running around).
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:08 pm

Do the controls still suck enormous donkey dick? It befuddles me how a highly rated block buster series like AC can have such an unresponsive and presumptive controlling scheme and get away with it. It's made me want to throw the controller through my picture window more than once.

My other favorite in ACII was: stealth kill a guy, pick up & move body, run off, attempt next stealth kill only to realize picking up bodies auto selects fists over what other weapon you last had equipped. Punched many an archer on rooftops with that little irritation.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:37 pm

Jeronimo wrote:Do the controls still suck enormous donkey dick? It befuddles me how a highly rated block buster series like AC can have such an unresponsive and presumptive controlling scheme and get away with it. It's made me want to throw the controller through my picture window more than once.

My other favorite in ACII was: stealth kill a guy, pick up & move body, run off, attempt next stealth kill only to realize picking up bodies auto selects fists over what other weapon you last had equipped. Punched many an archer on rooftops with that little irritation.

Over the 3 AC II titles I think the controls got tighter, and so far AC 3 seems to continue that trend. One thing different about AC 3 which I mostly like is that there are far fewer mandatory tutorial missions at the beginning. The downside is that their are some different combat moves that I'm not taking full advantage of yet. I'm fairly certain they alleviated that second issue in Brotherhood.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:42 pm

I'm on sequence 3 now...I just had my first epic battle against dozens of redcoats. I had to pause the game just to come post that the control scheme is MUCH better. No longer do you have to hold down R1 and X the whole game...You don't have to push a separate button to defend (holding R1) and counters are with O...As you are fighting it shows which moves are currently are available (like if you are in position for a counter or if someone is blocking you and you need to break their guard). Also, gone is the damn targeting system during fighting...It's much more intuitive and your guy simply fights who he is facing. It's easy to make agile moves during battle now to get to the other side of a fight or to break off and take someone out on the periphery. All the repetitive button mashing of the previous AC games is gone...Big thumbs up on the combat!
discspeed

Postby JR » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:30 am

keltik wrote:doesn't anyone find it odd that JR is posting heavily in the TWS thread? Is he practicing his simple english in there or what?

I have posted shorter messages than those but 3 words rule is a nice change to typing half an hour plus per post :-D Walls of text aren't also a pain to read they take a while to type too. Especially when there's analysis behind it and trying to limit the text and presenting enough data to justify the conclusions. Sometimes simple is better but what would you learn if school was just silver bullets? Not a lot like applying the knowledge in the real world.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Ryen91 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:42 am

A game that I have been into as well on xbox live arcade is the walking dead series...IT is really cool how new version your download continues from where you left off and actually effects what you do.....I really enjoy it and the graphics or hellagood for an arcade game worth checking out
Ryen91
Noob

Favorite Disc: Tee Rex

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:43 pm

Parks wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:somehow that really shitty post got deleted.

weird.

From the same genius that started the Three Word Story thread. Weird.

Back on topic, I just picked up Natural Selection 2. I only played two games, but it seems like it builds nicely on the original. Its a pretty fun mix of RTS and FPS.

That game looks pretty trippy, I may have to give it a try. Also, if anyone wants a Steam code for DOTA 2 I have a couple to give.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Itchy » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:00 am

Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby JHern » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:18 am

You guys are going to get fat and lazy playing video games, don't stop golfing!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:27 am

Shut the hell up, JHern. It's fucking winter, disc golf is not fun enough to play in the rain anymore.
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby jubuttib » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:56 am

discspeed wrote:Is that Forza?
Project CARS (during development, subject to change come release), made by long time sim devs, who got annoyed with EA dictating them how to make games and decided to let the community have a say (CARS = Community Assisted Racing Simulation/Simulator).

It looks like the funding will be ending surprisingly shortly (hopefully before next year), there's less than 200k€ to go and we've seen monthly funding in the region of hundreds of thousands lately, almost 70k€ just today. Still almost a year to go in development, if you have 10-25€ ($13-32) or more to spare and are interested in making sure it becomes the best racing sim ever, now would be the time to join in. Also a good chance to see how a game is made if you're interested, the devs are really open. While the testable development builds are naturally only available for PC (MS and Sony don't like people without dev boxes and authorization testing unfinished games) the game itself will come out on at least PS3, Xbox360 and WiiU.

EDIT: Correction, over 70k€.

EDIT2: And it's done. Now you'll have to wait until the game is released some time next year.
Last edited by jubuttib on Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:47 am

JHern wrote:You guys are going to get fat and lazy playing video games, don't stop golfing!

It gets dark before I get off work now.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JR » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:11 am

Glo discs and LEDs like the rest :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BLURR » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:51 am

Black Ops 2 can bite my ass. Not a fan of it right now. Going to play it a little more though.

AC3 is pretty bad ass though.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.