Windy windy...

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Windy windy...

Postby CatPredator » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:40 pm

cubeofsoup wrote:This is kind of off topic sorry...how far can the big distance pros throw functionally? Lets say we have a shot over water (neutral wind) with a 50ft landing circle, how far could you make that shot and have pros still hit it 90% of the time? 500ft?

I don't think it's anywhere near as far as you're guessing. A 50 ft circle is smaller than the putting circle, and getting a drive to stick in a zone like that from a long distance over a water carry is something that most pros wouldn't even attempt. From what I've seen, most of the top guys are looking to get a putt on any "easy" ~450'ers but only the very best golfers are approaching 90%.

Anecdotal evidence but at the Majestic at BRP, there is a 750' wide open driving range hole with a thin creek from 420'-440'. Very few guys were even attempting to clear the creek this year. Schusterick was the only one I saw from the handful of groups I watched and even he ended up at ~475' with a stable Destroyer. Most of the top guys were just laying up a big hyzer at 400' and then sticking another hyzer under the basket. Granted, the risk vs. reward for going over the creek tends to call for a lay up but still most of these guys were just taking the hazard completely out of play because they weren't 100% confident they could clear it, let alone park it on an island at 500'.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby JR » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:59 am

To have a consistent accurate no wind throw hitting a 50' circle at 500' needs a lot more D to be able to power down that much and still i'd say even the top distance throwers would have to have an on day to manage 90 % hit rate. Because mostly nobody gets 90 % at 500' even inside a 66' circle on an average day.

If you look at the Worlds 2007 finals Markus Källström rips a huge line drive uphill out to varying distance depending on who does the distance estimate. Needless to say it is preposterously long drive. Avery Jenkins threw a monster line drive on camera in one of the Clash videos. Can't recall exactly which but the number i got stuck in my head is 190 meters. Azalea, Tupelo Bay, Charleston Classic of 2008-2009 era is the source. I'd need to watch those again. I think the event was held on a ball golf course. Over water? Simon Lizotte from Germany seems to be the most aggressive long thrower going for tight spots at insane distances with risk. Even Kälström hasn't taken such risks in the same event as Simon has. I'm talking of the European Open 2011. Island hole mostly over OB. Or the final hole going for the green off of the tee. BOOOM!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby cubeofsoup » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:25 am

CatPredator wrote:A 50 ft circle is smaller than the putting circle,

putting circle is 10m or 32.8ft, I guess i meant 50ft radius around basket. I was thinking putting circle plus some extra room. Also my 500ft guess was a total guess, I have no idea what they can do, hence why i asked :wink:
cubeofsoup
Tree Magnet

Postby fore » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:50 am

cubeofsoup wrote:

putting circle is 10m or 32.8ft,

Uh ... no.

Putting CIRCLE is 20m: 10m is the radius.
fore
Noob

Favorite Disc: Phenix

Postby pask2155 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:14 am

so back to the question... is the answer about 500-600ft line drives? Which means that the disc is probably 30' in the air and doing a full s curved flight pattern?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby CatPredator » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:32 am

pask2155 wrote:so back to the question... is the answer about 500-600ft line drives?

Which question? What's functional golf D on non-roller throws for a "big arm pro"? I'd say it's 400'-500' for nearly all the best golfers. If there is no risk involved in the shot, conditions are optimal, and it's just an airing it out contest, then it's definitely a little bit more for the biggest arms, but those shots do not arise in high level play very often.

Just looking at the results for the 2012 worlds distance comp, you'll see Avery and Feldberg threw 618', Wiggins threw 657', and big Jerm threw 693', but it was a slightly downhill shot, there was some wind, there was no concern for accuracy, they had multiple attempts, and they probably weren't throwing line drives.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby pask2155 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:53 am

Hey where did you find that info at? And is do they have what discs and weights these guys used?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Postby keltik » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:16 pm

http://www.pdga.com/2012worlds/results/ ... long-drive

They didn't list weights. It was noted on a video once upon a time that before blizzard Jenkins threw 165g Pro or DX Destroyers for distance competition. Wiggins of course broke the record with a 139g Blizzard Boss. but generally they throw lighter weights for distance.

In a recent video GG stated that he uses 170g Destroyers (star I think) for on course long bombs.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby allsport1313 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:29 pm

fore wrote:
cubeofsoup wrote:

putting circle is 10m or 32.8ft,

Uh ... no.

Putting CIRCLE is 20m: 10m is the radius.

Don't see the point of correcting him - stating the radius instead of the diameter doesn't make it any less of a circle. In fact it's much more applicable to disc golf since we aim at the basket and not at the other side of the circle.
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby keltik » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:27 pm

depending on the wind sometimes you have to aim for a different side of the pin.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Previous

Return to Technique