Removal question?

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Removal question?

Postby pask2155 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:55 am

Got a disc in a trade, it's a great disc but the guy wrote his name on the front of the disc with a sharpie... Is there anyway of removing this?

I don't want to remove the stamp, just the ink... So this has to be a controlled wipe
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: NUKE/PD/BUZZ/ION

Re: Removal question?

Postby keltik » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:04 am

that might not come off. I've only had sharpie come off in rare occasions using painters acetone. cotton balls and or q-tips help keep it in a small area. Shop rags also seem to help. what plastic is it?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby pask2155 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:43 am

Champion plastic...
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby allsport1313 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:47 am

Erasing it works well on champion. Should make it at least very faint
allsport1313
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: plastic

Postby keltik » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:50 am

Yeah I've had better luck with champion/Z plastic. I think the ink doesn't seep in as much as it does on dx or pro type plastics. I had a Z flash once with huge ink on it. I got most of it off and the rest faded away quite well. but this was on the back of the disc.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby pask2155 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:53 am

So use the acetone and this will not hurt the disc at all?
pask2155
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:04 am

that's what I've always used. just a surface application shouldn't hurt anything. If you soaked it over night in a bath of acetone you would probably break down the plastic a lot. I generally use nail polish remover to wipe stamps because that's all we have in the house right now. That's acetone based. Painter's Acetone is just stronger and works better with sharpie/ink.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby eky8 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:44 pm

Acetone will remove the stamp. You need to be careful.
eky8
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The last one I dyed

Postby Mark Ellis » Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:47 am

pask2155 wrote:So use the acetone and this will not hurt the disc at all?

Acetone and/or Goof Off (the name of a commercial product found in hardware stores which I think works better than acetone) will take off hotstamps and magic marker and darn near anything else-unless it has penetrated into the disc. Over time magic marker penetrates into the disc and although the markings fade as they penetrate (and continue to fade over time as they penetrate and disperse into the plastic) they cannot be removed by anything I have found.

If you leave corrosive chemicals on a disc long enough they will warp the plastic and probably eat right through it. But if you rub it on (to take off a stamp or marking or just to clean a disc) then rinse thoroughly in water it does no damage. I clean my discs with Goof Off and even after years of doing so I see no damage from the process. Too much chemical exposure is not good for your skin and the fumes should be avoided too.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby donnyv » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:30 am

I've had success with acetone but you gotta be careful not to remove the stamp. If ink is on the front, carefully use painter's tape to cover the stamp and remove it a little while after the sharpie ink is removed. Like Mark said, if the inks been on there a while, it probably will seep into the plastic and not come off completely.

In my experience, cleaning a disc with acetone can actually make some of the older champion/z plastic grippier for a couple rds of use. Just don't let it sit on there too long. Over the summer, my brother used some of those insect repellant wipes, instead of the spray bottle, to keep the skeeters away. He accidently left one of the wipes sit overnight on one of his new Lat64 discs and it ATE RIGHT THRU THE PLASTIC! He was just starting to like that disc too.
donnyv
Noob

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Return to Disc Artwork